Resistance 3 info

Loudninja

Master Sage
Jul 7, 2006
Then Resistance:
- They recap R2
-Capelli started a family with Susan (Hale's Stepsister)
- Malikov LIVES!!
- They confirm co-op campaign (Capelli, Malikov, & John Harper [Capelli's partner]) are key characters (but no alternate story co-op like R2)
- They describe a couple scenes (some related to the leaked images)
- One of the multiplayer maps is in an African Prison
- Chimeran Plant Life (that explodes when shot) shows that the world is changing
- Describes some boat scenes from the campaign
- Talk about the new smarter AI (climb over walls, and through windows and stuff)
- Long legs jumping from roof to roof shooting down at you
- The Mutator:
A new weapon that shoots biological mist that causes boils and stuff on the enemy and then makes them pop hurting the other nearby enemies
Secondary fire makes them go insane and attack their buddies
- Other Weapons:
Bullseye, Magnum, Shotgun, Auger, carbine are all back... and all weapons are upgradable as you use them more and more
Weapons are also made to look more improvised so... grenades are shaped like food cans full of nails and such...
- Online was talked about but not much is known yet:
it says they wanna make it more organized and not a cluster like the 60 player matches in R2
- Also Ted Price handed the reigns to Marcus Smith to do alot of the other work
- Humans eating humans cuz lack of food...
http://www.gamingeverything.com/2010/10/resistance_3_details_from_game_informer

More info:
Sure. Normally I would just scan the pages, but my scanner's broken right now [EDIT: never mind, I guess no one's supposed to post any scans]. So here you go:

The article starts off with two title pages for the cover story.
- Page 1 depicts the R3 logo, GI's tag line "When Freedom Falls, A Hero Must Stand", and Capelli firing a hard-to-see weapon in the background. It also contains a vague summary of where Resistance 3's plot will go.

- Page 2 depicts a new Chimera, called the "Long Legs", which looks like a really tall mix between a Hybrid and a Slipskull.

The article then gives more detailed plot information.
- The Essential Plot Info: The world has gotten a lot colder. It's like an ice age. Capelli is the main character, he has defected from the military and started a family, and Hale is really dead. Capelli decides he must head to New York, where he will somehow be able to save humanity as well as his family (his son is ill due to the freezing cold temperatures) with a vaccine developed by none other than Fyodor Malikov. Malikov developed the vaccine using antibodies from Hale's blood. He will travel with Capelli on their journey to New York (and I have a hunch that he is going to die near the end because the lead writer for R3 said he now bears an attitude of "die trying or eventually overcome").

Next comes a detailed description of the opening levels of the game.
- The intro level *may* be an attack on Capelli's home in "Haven, Oklahoma".
- One level that Insomniac showed off tells part of Capelli and Malikov's voyage on a boat to St. Louis (I guess tons of towns are flooded and ****, so they can take the boat all over the place). They run into alien plant life (a giant, glowing, orange pod that Capelli blows up with his Magnum). They pass a dead Kraken. Grims swarm out of a building and into their ship, so Capelli takes care of business. A Goliath passes over them and drops of some Long Legs for Capelli to deal with. Then Insomniac flashed forward to a scene with Capelli fighting with a bunch of dudes in St. Louis. Everything about human weaponry has become much more ragtag and improvised. The dudes destroy a Chimeran ship and snag its power core to fly their VTOL.

Also included are features that have been added/removed.
- No more 8 player co-op, but the game will feature 2 player co-op in its single player mode. The 2nd character will not be a random soldier this time around. His name is John Harper.
- The frag grenade model is a can of beans with nails strapped around it.
- Human weapons are essentially random pieces of scrap metal combined to form guns, sort of like the weapons in Fallout 3. The "Mutator", for example, is a shotgun barrel taped onto repurposed metal that fires a biological agent and makes Chimera freak out so you can kill them easily with a real shotgun.
- The weapon wheel is back! Capelli can carry all the weapons at once.
- AI has been improved. Chimera can now jump over waist-high objects without Insomniac having to script each action individually.
- No more 60 player fights.
- Weapons are upgradable like in R&C!

The game will be released in 2011. That's as specific as it gets right now.
http://www.insomniacgames.com/community/index.php?topic=54086.0

More info from jstevenson:
ON the weapon wheel
jstevenson said:
the guy with the mag answered the weapon on IG... so I'll say it here:

The weapon wheel makes a glorious return in R3.
On possible Move support
jstevenson said:
Still TBD, TTP.
On the overall game
jstevenson said:
Tighter focus all the way around is a huge theme of this production. It is already paying off (I just played through the campaign over the last couple of days. :))
On the story
it's totally the continuation of the story..... the world is shattered, the Chimera have basically won... and now its about survival and something very much in particular.

The main thing is, Capelli isn't going to NYC to save Jack or get him the Hale Vaccine. That vaccine widely exists in 1957 amongst survives. He has other reasons that will be made more clear later

Last edited:

DarkVincent07

Trying not to break stuff...
Mar 4, 2008
Sydney
humans eating humans.... ****ing BRUTAL man 0_0

a biological weapon and strange plantlife to show that the world is changing! OMG I am soooo hyped at this second

Jun 4, 2007
I can't F'n wait to get my hands on this. Day 1 purchase confirmed. This is now my 2nd most wanted game of 2011 behind InFamous 2.

Apr 25, 2007
Eugene, OR
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 5228836]I can't F'n wait to get my hands on this. Day 1 purchase confirmed. This is now my 2nd most wanted game of 2011 behind InFamous 2.[/QUOTE]

my top 5 for next year

Resistance 3
Killzone 3
Infamous 2
Twisted Metal
Little Big Planet 2

Loudninja

Master Sage
Jul 7, 2006
The single player 2 player co-op will be both online and offline
jstevenson said:
Both.

Lots of other good info in GI he didn't touch on... hopefully more of you will get it tomorrow! It's a great story with a ton of great new assets you have yet to see.

Metfanant

Forum Sage
Apr 12, 2006
NY
Where do I sign up???...I fell in love with the Resistance universe from the moment the first game started...I actually loved the second game too...not as good as the first but it was great in its own right...just different than R:FoM...

Ill buy anything they want to sell me when it comes to R3...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

higgos22

Master Guru
Feb 8, 2009
[QUOTE="DarkVincent07, post: 5228828]humans eating humans.... ****ing BRUTAL man 0_0

a biological weapon and strange plantlife to show that the world is changing! OMG I am soooo hyped at this second[/QUOTE]
We got exams starting tomorrow :/
And yeh that sounds disgusting but kinda cool eery environment set up

DarkVincent07

Trying not to break stuff...
Mar 4, 2008
Sydney
[QUOTE="higgos22, post: 5228887]We got exams starting tomorrow :/
And yeh that sounds disgusting but kinda cool eery environment set up[/QUOTE]

lol i dont start til friday... but homggg im gonna fail. sall good coz i can game afterwards ;p

FLASH48

Master Poster
Oct 18, 2006
Like how things are progressing with Resistance 3! Will positively be a day one buy just like the other two games!

jlippone

Forum Guru
Dec 2, 2004
Sounds good.
This time they have had a much longer developement phase as well, so most likely we will see some nice advancement technically as well.

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
Malikov! Yes! His character will make for a much stronger story, due to his wealth of knowledge on what's going on.

I'm surprised that R2's co-op mode isn't returning, but personally, I like this decision better.

Also, does anyone know if this is the last of a trilogy? Or is this just continuing the story again?

Apr 25, 2007
Eugene, OR
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 5228935]Malikov! Yes! His character will make for a much stronger story, due to his wealth of knowledge on what's going on.

I'm surprised that R2's co-op mode isn't returning, but personally, I like this decision better.

Also, does anyone know if this is the last of a trilogy? Or is this just continuing the story again?[/QUOTE]

I like this coop solution better as well.

Insomniac said in their R2 retrospective that they never planned for it to be a "trilogy" but they also never planned to be just a one hit wonder, saying they create franchises that can continue on.

The Resistance universe has a lot more potential, I doubt they would completely tie up every loose end and stop expanding what is a great series, I would say expect more Resistance in the future.

Bravo9zero

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2008
Mid-World
Can't wait for this game! overtaken KZ3 as my most anticipated FPS of 2011.

Some interesting info there.
Really disappointed they aren't bringing the 8-player co-op mode back tho! :(
That mode was fantastic, so much fun with friends.

DLC maybe?

XMW

Super Elite
Jun 22, 2008
Happy the Weapon Wheel is returning, very happy with 2 player SP Co-op.

Dissapointed with no 8-player Co-op, also the improvised weapons don't sound all that good to me. I just want the crazy weapons Resistance 1 (and R2 a bit too) had back..

Loudninja

Master Sage
Jul 7, 2006
[QUOTE="X-Men_Wolverine, post: 5229205]Happy the Weapon Wheel is returning, very happy with 2 player SP Co-op.

Dissapointed with no 8-player Co-op, also the improvised weapons don't sound all that good to me. I just want the crazy weapons Resistance 1 (and R2 a bit too) had back..[/QUOTE]

This is not crazy to you? :)
The Mutator:
A new weapon that shoots biological mist that causes boils and stuff on the enemy and then makes them pop hurting the other nearby enemies
Secondary fire makes them go insane and attack their buddies
Remember they have to improvised now since the Chimera took the world over.Thats why you have home made weapons to crush Chimera scum.

XMW

Super Elite
Jun 22, 2008
Yeah that one sounds pretty cool, but the food can with spikes on it or something like that? Err.. I'd rather just have Hedgehog grenades lol, but that doesn't mean I am not really looking forward to how all the weapons look and play. :)