RIP PS TV

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
http://www.psu.com/news/29515/PlayStation-TV-discontinued-in-the-US-and-Europe

Suffered from all the short-comings of its handheld counter-part, but was further handicapped without having streaming TV apps like Netflix. Kind of a basic requirement for a "TV" device. That and the fact that they left the touch-screen interface on the thing (worked for Windows 8 tho!). Just a disaster entirely and yeah, I own one.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
I have always considered getting one but only so I can play on the TV downstairs and may still at some point, but once again Sony produce something that could have been great and then pushed it to one side, think a lot of us knew it wouldn't last long!

Feb 6, 2016
Cleveland, Ohio USA
PSTV was a half-baked device that was doomed from the start. It was a Vita that was incompatible with many Vita games. No controller was ever made to be able to use features the Vita had, so they just made the games "incompatible" instead. Ridiculous.

It used those custom Vita memory cards that are still WAY overpriced. They never made any bigger than 64GB did they?

No surprise to see it have support dropped. Vita will be next.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
When it first came out, I thought it was supposed to be competition for Chromecast and Fire TV. Even with the limited game support it could have been a viable option for cheap TV gaming. Better than crap like Ouya anyway. But Sony never followed through. Really have no idea what they were thinking.

But yeah...the memory cards were the killer, just like for Vita.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
I don't get it how sony forgets about a product before costumers, the device is not that bad at all, I was always thinking getting one, as soon as I step out from here I am gonna get one.