Ripping DVD straight to AVI or MPEG (no VOB)

miickEe

Superior Member
Jan 31, 2006
www.miickee.net
As many may know from my other thread recently, I purchased an Ipod video. I have many mpeg files on my computer that I have rights to, and I've converted them to the MPEG-4 format that the Ipod can read, and they work flawlessly. The only problem I am having at the moment is ripping my music dvd as an mpeg or avi.

The only method or backing up my dvd has been decrypting it, by using VOB files. They are fine for storage, but not for converting. Although there are many VOB to MPEG encoders, they don't produce very appealing results in terms of quality.

Is there a program, preferrable FREEWARE, that will enable me to convert my DVD into an mpeg or an avi file, so I can then convert it to mpeg-4 format for my Ipod and watch it on there?

May 23, 2005
I'm using a Mac and i use a programme called Handbrake to rip DVD's to my Mac in MPEG-4 format . I'm not too sure if there is a Windows version out but you might wanna try Google as that is where if found this Handbrake programme . And yes , Handbrake is FREE .

B

Basic Chair

I have a Mac, and I use Handbrake as well. Be forewarned though miickEe, no matter what program you use, it's going to take a long time to encode... like hours.

May 23, 2005
Basic Chair said:
I have a Mac, and I use Handbrake as well. Be forewarned though miickEe, no matter what program you use, it's going to take a long time to encode... like hours.
Yeah , i tried to rip the new Peter Jackson directed King Kong to my mac and the timer showed it would take something like 24+ hours .
Concerning the ripping proccess , does it have something to do with how much memory you have on your Mac ? Cause i have 256mb DDR Ram and 1.25GHz proccessor speed . I want to rip a few movies like : Predator , Terminator 3 and Xmen-2 but i don't want to wait that long .
What's your Mac spec's ??

Trinity

Elite Guru
Dec 3, 2005
red alert...red alert...red alert...

You guys are pirates!!!! OMG You are doing illegal stuffs!

[spoiler:640fb25ee8]http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/282769[/spoiler:640fb25ee8]
Dont tell anybody sonny boy 8)

miickEe

Superior Member
Jan 31, 2006
www.miickee.net
Lawl.. it isn't pirating.. I mean, I bought my dvd, I might as well be entitled to use it on my ipod. xD I will look into Handbrake, but I doubt there will be a version for PC.

Any other suggestions?

I found a windows version! (I think). Will update on progress.

May 23, 2005
miickEe said:
Lawl.. it isn't pirating.. I mean, I bought my dvd, I might as well be entitled to use it on my ipod. xD I will look into Handbrake, but I doubt there will be a version for PC.

Any other suggestions?

I found a windows version! (I think). Will update on progress.
Apparently they're still working on a Windows version or something , i dont know , i gave up too quickly on a windows version in a google search :lol:
Or you could always try www.download.com , they'll probably have DVD ripping software for windows .
May the force be with you :lol::wink:

May 23, 2005
You need to rip the DVD using the highest quality settings in Handbrake . If you want the DVD to be ripped in faster time you must lower the quality settings .
I've already ripped the movie "FlightPlan" using the lowest quality settings . Now it took much less time to rip to my hard-drive but the video quality is just not that good , not DVD quality though .

miickEe

Superior Member
Jan 31, 2006
www.miickee.net
I chose the setting that took the longest time. The funny thing is, that Handbrake would not let me choose the directory of my DVD drive, but rather using VOB files of the DVD I had on the computer already. How do I get it to recognise my DVD drive?

May 23, 2005
Hang on a tick . I'll just see what happens when i insert a DVD to be ripped by Handbrake .

*Edit*

Upon opening Handbrake the programme asks to :
Seletct a DVD :
(It gives me two options) : (1) Detected Volume
(2) DVD Folder / Image

I select option (1) and it picks up my DVD drive . I'm not too sure about the windows version , it might be different to Macintosh .
Option (2) lets you pick out any files on your hard-drive . Option (1) detects your DVD movie in your DVD drive to get ripping .
Like i said before , i have no idea how the windows version works .
Hope that helped .

May 23, 2005
Sorry for the late reply .
I really don't know what's up with the greyed out Disc Drive cause when i open my Handbrake the default option is option 1 , which opens up the movie in my DVD Drive .
I know this might sound like a stupid question but : Do you have a movie inserted into your disc drive when you open Handbrake ??
Thats the only reason i can see why Handbrake doesn't give you the option of detecting your DVD movie , when there is no movie in the DVD drive .
Keep me posted , i'll see if i can dig up a solution to your problem .

miickEe

Superior Member
Jan 31, 2006
www.miickee.net
Yeah, I do have a movie in the dvd drive. :p I thought it was.. well, necessary to have, I guess so. :p

Well.. I dunno. I think I might scrap the whole idea after all.. but I want that concert on my ipod so badly! I might have to try alternate methods..

Mar 21, 2005
www.ps3portal.com

The_Only

Forum Sage
Feb 9, 2004
www.rebelreading.tk
Hi all,

We absolutely MUST make sure we are timely with covering news on this event. It's a Saturday, and it's in U.S. time so that leaves me out. I know Eric is busy with school work for the next fortnight, so i'm not sure if anyone other than Adam can cover this.

I'm sure all of you have been keeping up with the news on the event, so you'll know that Uncharted 3 is almost 100% certain to be unveiled at the event. Plus there's the Sony event the following day. Also, Batman Arkham City and Resistance 3 are both going to be there, as well as some other as-of-yet-unannounced stuff.

I will do what I can but the time zone makes it difficult, but the bottom line is we are gonna have to rely on our U.S. team for this. It will look bad if we are postin this stuff hours later than everyone else. Adam and Eric, how likely is it you guys can help with this?

Master

Elite Member
May 12, 2004
If I'm around I'll cover it, but there's a chance that a) a friend from college is coming to visit that weekend, or b) I'm going down to Williamsburg, Va for the weekend. But, if I'm around I'm planning on watching so I could easily cover whatever news comes out of it.

Here's hoping for an original idea instead of more sequels. Not likely.

The_Only

Forum Sage
Feb 9, 2004
www.rebelreading.tk
Cool, that would be sweet if you were able to do so.

Failing that, and depending on what Eric is able to do, i'll act as a back-up on Sunday morning, though obviously it would mean we will be posting stuff later than most. Better than nothing I guess, though.

B

BustenRhymes7790

Considering I now have a big paper due on the 12th, a chem final on the 14th, and another bigger paper due the 15th... not very likely. In fact, I'll just go ahead and predict now I won't be able to help out. Sorry. Priorities suck, sometimes, but I stick to 'em.

The_Only

Forum Sage
Feb 9, 2004
www.rebelreading.tk
No, that's perfectly understandable and I didn't really expect you to be around man.

Well, if Adam can't make it either (he's not sure at the moment), then i'll come on first thing Sunday morning. I'll also see what I can do for Sony's event on the Sunday too.

Hopefully our audience won't chew us out over posting it late, but it's just unfortunate the VGAs are smack bang in the middle of a busy period for staff.

Master

Elite Member
May 12, 2004
Mike, I'll do my best to cover the VGAs if you can get anything missed on Sunday and cover whatever Sony has to offer the following day. I'll let you know as soon as I know if I can't do it, but it's looking likely that I'll be able to do it.

The_Only

Forum Sage
Feb 9, 2004
www.rebelreading.tk
Adam, i'm off now, but i'll be on tomorrow as I said to catch anything we missed. I haven't heard from you this week about the VGAs so I presume you are still able to cover them?

If not i'll be on tomorrow as I said, but hopefully you can catch a few big announcements as they happen.

Cheers mate!

Master

Elite Member
May 12, 2004
Midnight: done for the night.

Tomorrow (or this upcoming week) should ADD THE NEW GAMES TO THE DATABASE.

Mike, the leftovers include Prototype 2, Mass Effect 3 (I can't remember if this is supposed to come out on PS3, so I left it for the night), new Portal 2 video. There's also a video for Thor.

Did what I could. Tired. Peace out.

Really glad RDR won. That's my vote for game of the year - think we should have a feature with staff picks favorite games of the year in 4-5 categories.

Slinkywizard

Superior Member
May 13, 2004
Ok, the updates from the VGA's are done I think. I looked through the last week and a bit of news to find anything on announcements etc and filled in where I could. The rest seemed to be added along with the article.

If anybody has a full list, please send it my way as I'd like to double check I've got all the titles down. Thanks.