Rise of the Tomb Raider is not an Xbox One exclusive after all

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
The inclusion of 360 makes it a gen 7.5 title which is even more disappointing than the ambiguous exclusivity. Way to move the franchise forward. I'm glad Rocksteady didn't pull this with Batman AK. That's how you evolve a franchise.

Jan 9, 2014
Wales
www.twitter.com
I think it being cross-gen is probably worse news than it being exclusive to one stable of consoles. That's just properly poor. It's going to be half the game sold to fewer than half the players.

[QUOTE="Ghost, post: 6369789]I'm glad Rocksteady didn't pull this with Batman AK. That's how you evolve a franchise.[/QUOTE]

Very sad that got moved to next year, but have no questions marks at all about the quality when it finally drops.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
This whole thing has been really slimey. At the beginning of the presentation many of the games were 'first on console to XB1' or whatever the term was. I heard that term almost a dozen times near the start. Then suddenly a game that is also going to be first to console on XB1 is an exclusive that was announced in a way to create a faux megaton.

GazzaGSi

Elite Guru
May 9, 2007
Xbox boss Phil Spencer has confirmed to Eurogamer that Microsoft's controversial exclusivity deal for Rise of the Tomb Raider "has a duration".

However, he declined to confirm how long that duration is set for.

Last night, during its Gamescom press conference, Microsoft and Square Enix made the surprise announcement that Rise of the Tomb Raider would launch holiday 2015 exclusively on Xbox. That, Spencer confirmed, means Xbox One and Xbox 360.

But the wording of its statement caused some to wonder whether the game would eventually launch on other platforms. Spencer wouldn't speak for Square Enix on this, but did compare the deal to that it had for Xbox One games Dead Rising and Ryse, which will also launch on PC.

Spencer's comments confirm Square Enix, owner of Tomb Raider developer Crystal Dynamics, is free to do whatever it wants with the game and the franchise after the exclusivity deal ends, including releasing it on other platforms.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...er&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

Doesn't that clear it up abit?

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
Thanks for the good news Gaz, this is awesome news for me!

HTC One X cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

Jun 4, 2007
Timed exclusive...seems like a waste of money as I said in the other thread(when I was referring to it as a full exclusive). The things CD said in the pr statement just doesn't match up with this deal. That's why people had legitimate complaints. I had nothing to do with "MS is teh evils company".

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
meh, its on xbox either way, doesnt matter if its 360 or the one.

No dramas, i liked the last reboot so will get this eventually (when i eventually get a one)

Vaas

Apprentice
Apr 10, 2014
Belgium
Some quotes of Phil Spencer

I have Tomb Raider shipping next holiday exclusively on Xbox. It is Xbox 360 and Xbox One. I'm not trying to fake anybody out in terms of where this thing is. What they do with the franchise in the long run is not mine. I don't control it. So all I can talk about is the deal I have. I don't know where else Tomb Raider goes."
Obviously the deal does have a duration. I didn't buy the IP in perpetuity."
Yeah, I'm sure it's coming to PS4 as well :) Lara Croft and I will be reunited eventually <3

Jan 31, 2007
Northern Ireland
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6369856]I think MS did this just to generate some buzz. It worked.[/QUOTE]

I called it exactly the moment it was announced.

Dave-The-Rave said:
Publicity stunt. Timed exclusive no matter what they claim. I guarantee that.
I've said it before I'll say it again, never doubt me folks.

GazzaGSi

Elite Guru
May 9, 2007
[QUOTE="nextgen3, post: 6369857]an to pee off a lot of PS/TR fans[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't be surprised if Xbox owners are pee'd off too. They could've thought this was '1-up' on PS owners yet they've been let down again. What happened to just using 'to console first' as other speakers said whether it be ps4 or Xbox. Now they're left with egg on the face after being told TR was exclusive and boasting about it to now have to back track as the 'exclusivity' has a duration.

Jun 4, 2007
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6369856]I think MS did this just to generate some buzz. It worked.[/QUOTE]
Glass half full/half empty. This was a risky move for MS considering how their brand is viewed amongst the masses. They know all too well how fast things can spread through social media and they're catching some of the heat that fans are unleashing on Crystal Dynamic. They can't afford any more negative views towards the xbone.

The video below sums it up pretty well imo.

[video=youtube_share;mNhP-5Rd3v0]http://youtu.be/mNhP-5Rd3v0[/video].

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="nextgen3, post: 6369889][video=youtube_share;X-U2g99Y8_Y]http://youtu.be/X-U2g99Y8_Y?list=UUsgv2QHkT2ljEixyulzOnUQ[/video][/QUOTE]

nailed it

Yuuichi

Miqo'te Bard
Oct 25, 2009
[QUOTE="nextgen3, post: 6369889][video=youtube_share;X-U2g99Y8_Y]http://youtu.be/X-U2g99Y8_Y?list=UUsgv2QHkT2ljEixyulzOnUQ[/video][/QUOTE]

he def nailed it. Gets my sub back on youtube for that one.

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers

:lol:

I'm not that stressed about it but it's a tad unethical, kind of.

Aug 12, 2008
tyneside
[QUOTE="GazzaGSi, post: 6369868]Wouldn't be surprised if Xbox owners are pee'd off too. They could've thought this was '1-up' on PS owners yet they've been let down again. [/QUOTE]
that may be true for the minority, meanwhile back in the real world...

as a gamer, its a game thats coming to Xbox 1st. i own ONE and will quite happily enjoy it as i have other TR games.
i bought the last one on 360 and then the remastered on PS4. so all good for me.

nextgen3

Super Elite
May 15, 2006
Wales, UK
complete waste of money just because XB get it first, its like giving a choc bar to someone before you!! an they throw money over things like this, no wonder why fans go head blown over timed exclusives I thought they had business minds at MS but I guess not they didn't make no new IP but just bought TR for a bit to me that stupid move an lazy. couldn't make a IP of there own to go against UC.