Rise of the Tomb Raider is not an Xbox One exclusive after all

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
[QUOTE="welshboymick, post: 6369802]I think it being cross-gen is probably worse news than it being exclusive to one stable of consoles. That's just properly poor. It's going to be half the game sold to fewer than half the players.
[/QUOTE]
I completely agree. I can always get an XB1, but I can't stop them from trying to achieve some sort of parity between gen versions.

Cross gen ugh...

Also Spencer is good guy. I like how he says "I'm not trying to fake anyone out". That doesn't sound like a shill as some people like to have termed him to be.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="Admartian, post: 6370067]I completely agree. I can always get an XB1, but I can't stop them from trying to achieve some sort of parity between gen versions.

Cross gen ugh...

Also Spencer is good guy. I like how he says "I'm not trying to fake anyone out". That doesn't sound like a shill as some people like to have termed him to be.[/QUOTE]

He can say that.....but that isn't what he did. If it was a timed exclusive they should have stuck with their "first on Xbox" line they typically use. Instead, everyone was trying to figure out whether it was timed or real exclusive. Greenberg even corrected Keighley when he said it was timed. Greenberg didn't say Keighley was wrong. He said "that isn't what we said". More PR bullshit. Spencer didn't want it getting out that it was timed, obviously. But when all the backlash came, he clarified that there was a "duration". I call that trying to "fake" everyone out.

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6370076]He can say that.....but that isn't what he did. If it was a timed exclusive they should have stuck with their "first on Xbox" line they typically use. Instead, everyone was trying to figure out whether it was timed or real exclusive. Greenberg even corrected Keighley when he said it was timed. Greenberg didn't say Keighley was wrong. He said "that isn't what we said". More PR bull$#@!. Spencer didn't want it getting out that it was timed, obviously. But when all the backlash came, he clarified that there was a "duration". I call that trying to "fake" everyone out.[/QUOTE]
Well I guess that's one way of looking at it. :lol:

GazzaGSi

Elite Guru
May 9, 2007
[QUOTE="Yungstar 2006, post: 6370011]that may be true for the minority, meanwhile back in the real world...

as a gamer, its a game thats coming to Xbox 1st. i own ONE and will quite happily enjoy it as i have other TR games.
i bought the last one on 360 and then the remastered on PS4. so all good for me.[/QUOTE]

For the minority? Yesterday on forums it was literally flooded with how a big scalp had been taken having TR as exclusive only to xbone then it became known it was a timed exclusive which isn't a big scalp at all.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Yungstar 2006, post: 6370011]that may be true for the minority, meanwhile back in the real world...

as a gamer, its a game thats coming to Xbox 1st. i own ONE and will quite happily enjoy it as i have other TR games.
i bought the last one on 360 and then the remastered on PS4. so all good for me.[/QUOTE]

Yea, i'm looking forward to playing the next TR game. I enjoyed the one from last gen.Sony sold its shares from Square Enix earlier this year. Maybe that wasn't a good move.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
You know what this means right?

Rise of the Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition (PS4)

DarkNemesis

Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2008
Parkville, Maryland
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 6369837]Timed exclusive...seems like a waste of money as I said in the other thread(when I was referring to it as a full exclusive). The things CD said in the pr statement just doesn't match up with this deal. That's why people had legitimate complaints. I had nothing to do with "MS is teh evils company".[/QUOTE]

It is a waste of money, but MS are too loyal to realize that this money could be put to something that is actually "exclusive".

[QUOTE="33x, post: 6369839]meh, its on xbox either way, doesnt matter if its 360 or the one.

No dramas, i liked the last reboot so will get this eventually (when i eventually get a one)[/QUOTE]

Or you could just wait for the definitive version that will release on the PS4 by March 2016.Like everyone else.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="DarkNemesis, post: 6370165]It is a waste of money, but MS are too loyal to realize that this money could be put to something that is actually "exclusive".
[/QUOTE]

Yep. Not like MS' customers are benefitting from this.

YoungMullah88

PSU Live Streamer
Sep 15, 2006
Charlotte
www.playfire.com
Smart move by square and cd, uncharted will be out around the same time, let the game flourish on the xb1 and release the definitive edition for the ps4/pc the next year instead of having uncharted eat away at the sales of tomb raider. I know If I had the choice between the two, I'll go for Uncharted.

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6370076]He can say that.....but that isn't what he did. If it was a timed exclusive they should have stuck with their "first on Xbox" line they typically use. Instead, everyone was trying to figure out whether it was timed or real exclusive. Greenberg even corrected Keighley when he said it was timed. Greenberg didn't say Keighley was wrong. He said "that isn't what we said". More PR bull$#@!. Spencer didn't want it getting out that it was timed, obviously. But when all the backlash came, he clarified that there was a "duration". I call that trying to "fake" everyone out.[/QUOTE]

He's just looking for Microsoft's interests (perhaps could have communicated this deal better.) Square-Enix is who towards which (if any anger) should be directed at; but if they are okay with losing some sales over it (because it's been covered by what they've gained), I guess it is their decision.

Yuuichi

Miqo'te Bard
Oct 25, 2009
[QUOTE="thanatos144, post: 6370659]I am guessing this is still going to cost square money be ause this pr stunt pissed off a bunch of tomb raider fans. It is also a stupid move to give a year exclusive to a console with less owners

Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

yeah and I will never believe, regardless of what people say, that this deal will ever make them come out ahead then if they released it on both consoles at the same time.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="thanatos144, post: 6370675]It feels like another titan fall debacle

Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Titanfall was hardly a debacle. The only console that can be played on is xbox. Onthe other hand, TR may only be timed but it sure as heck isnt gonna hurt xbox gamers to have it to play next year.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6370682]Titanfall was hardly a debacle. The only console that can be played on is xbox. Onthe other hand, TR may only be timed but it sure as heck isnt gonna hurt xbox gamers to have it to play next year.[/QUOTE]

With the game lineup next fall, I doubt anyone will care until 2016 anyway. Come to think of it...nice move, SE.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6370684]With the game lineup next fall, I doubt anyone will care until 2016 anyway. Come to think of it...nice move, SE.[/QUOTE]

People do care. This is a new Tomb Raider game. The franchise has a huge following.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6370685]People do care. This is a new Tomb Raider game. The franchise has a huge following.[/QUOTE]

on xbox? we will see

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6370688]on xbox? we will see[/QUOTE]

Your mistaken if you think MS isnt gonna advertise the heck out of this game. This isnt just some last gen port like before. This is a new game built on next gen hardware.

Jun 4, 2007
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6370690]Your mistaken if you think MS isnt gonna advertise the heck out of this game. This isnt just some last gen port like before. This is a new game built on next gen hardware.[/QUOTE]That worked wonders moving xbones with titanfall, didn't it?

[QUOTE="Nerevar, post: 6370692]I don't understand what the point of this was...?[/QUOTE]MS was foolish enough to think a timed exclusive will stop the ps4's momentum. The game would have to hold weight like grand theft or call of duty to do damage to the ps4's momentum.

Last edited:

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6370690]Your mistaken if you think MS isnt gonna advertise the heck out of this game. This isnt just some last gen port like before. This is a new game built on next gen hardware.[/QUOTE]

Ok....whatever. Like I said....we will see.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 6370693]That worked wonders moving xbones with titanfall, didn't it?[/QUOTE]

Nope but Titan Fall went on to sell over 3 Million copies. So that show exclusives can do pretty well. That means Tomb Raider has a better chance at success given all the hoopla going on around the gaming industry and its large fanbase.

MS was foolish enough to think a timed exclusive will stop the ps4's momentum. The game would have to hold weight like grand theft or call of duty to do damage to the ps4's momentum.
They dont need to do damage they just need to sell a decent amount of copies of the game. Whether it holds weight or not ,next holiday i'll be playing that along with other awesome games on my xbox one.

Jun 4, 2007
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6370700]Nope but Titan Fall went on to sell over 3 Million copies. So that show exclusives can do pretty well. That means Tomb Raider has a better chance at success given all the hoopla going on around the gaming industry and its large fanbase.[/QUOTE]Yeah, software can still be sold pretty decently. You keep talking about this fanbase as if this title is going to make the ps3/ps4/pc owners go out and buy a xbone. No. Not going to happen. Tomb raider is not that big of a series.

edit:Where are the titanfall figures from? Never seen EA announce it.

They dont need to do damage they just need to sell a decent amount of copies of the game. Whether it holds weight or not ,next holiday i'll be playing that along with other awesome games on my xbox one.
Here's where you're so wrong. You don't buy timed exclusives rights without intentions of moving a lot more consoles than your competition. Otherwise it's money wasted and that's what has happened here.

It's good that you can play it. It's a failed execution for MS if it doesn't sell more xbones than the ps4 during that month(since it's such a "big" title).

Last edited:

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 6370693]MS was foolish enough to think a timed exclusive will stop the ps4's momentum. The game would have to hold weight like grand theft or call of duty to do damage to the ps4's momentum.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it seems rather unnecessary. Maybe it would be worth it if they didn't pay too much, but I really doubt it was anything close to cheap. I guess I'm repeating what's been said already but they should've put this money into improving current exclusives or maybe even funding something new.

[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6370700]They dont need to do damage they just need to sell a decent amount of copies of the game. Whether it holds weight or not ,next holiday i'll be playing that along with other awesome games on my xbox one.[/QUOTE]

Tomb Raider's reboot was well received but it's not that killer game the XBox One needs. Its timed exclusivity isn't going to pull over many people and it's probably going to hurt waiting PS4 owners more than it'll help Microsoft.

It's also just poor gaming and business ethic imo. PC and PlayStation owners were there before to buy the reboot and support the company and this is what they do to us.

G

GreatSpaceKoaster

I find the anger here humorous...almost to the point of irrational. This has happened many times and ended up on other consoles before. Yet people still go ballistic.Hey guys....the PS4 will have plenty of games to play besides this one.

Whether this will move consoles or not matters little to me. I'm just glad my platform of choice is not only getting it, but getting it first. Thanks Microsoft! Good looking out!:cool:

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
Why do you call it anger? Can't people have genuine criticism and disagreements with what's happening without being called angry? It's shitty for non-XB1 owners but I don't see anyone freaking out. General attitude seems to be, "Okay, well fuck you too then. lol"

Only angry person I've seen was Angry Joe. And... well, yeah.

G

GreatSpaceKoaster

[QUOTE="Nerevar, post: 6370735]Why do you call it anger? Can't people have genuine criticism and disagreements with what's happening without being called angry? It's shitty for non-XB1 owners but I don't see anyone freaking out. General attitude seems to be, "Okay, well fuck you too then. lol"

Only angry person I've seen was Angry Joe. And... well, yeah.[/QUOTE]

Not to the level of Angry Joe, but I sense anger in people's responses. People usually pop in expletives when their feelings go beyond mere unhappiness. My mother hates the F-word. But when she's pissed... the F-bombs start dropping.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="GreatSpaceKoaster, post: 6370748]Not to the level of Angry Joe, but I sense anger in people's responses. People usually pop in expletives when their feelings go beyond mere unhappiness. My mother hates the F-word. But when she's pissed... the F-bombs start dropping.[/QUOTE]

How many times have you seen multiplatform titles, let alone AAA multiplatform titles, go exclusive to a single platform? Usually they go to PC as well, but that wasn't the case when this news broke (That's why I said it was unprecedented).

I can only speak for myself, but if I'm pissed about something - it's the principle.

G

GreatSpaceKoaster

[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6370754]How many times have you seen multiplatform titles, let alone AAA multiplatform titles, go exclusive to a single platform? Usually they go to PC as well, but that wasn't the case when this news broke (That's why I said it was unprecedented).

I can only speak for myself, but if I'm pissed about something - it's the principle.[/QUOTE]

No...I understand. It's just that this has been the norm for years with all parties guilty of this in one form or another. So I don't understand the anger. It's like when games went from $50 up to $60. People were pissed then. But to still be pissed about it 9 years later instead of long since accepting it as the new norm, just puzzles me.

Look at those that swore up and down that if Sony started charging for online that....on PRINCIPLE.... they would drop Sony and go to free online gaming on PC. Cuz you should never have to pay for online gaming. And you know what? When push came to shove, they bought the PS4 and paid for PSN+. So much for standing by principles.

So... people long ago stopped complaining about $60 games and about paying to play online. Yet people seem to be still stuck on this exclusive stuff years after it became the norm in the industry. That's what I find humorous about it.:p

Last edited by a moderator: