Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox One X: CD Talks “Highest Fidelity Version,” and More.

Aug 12, 2008
tyneside
https://www.dualshockers.com/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-xbox-one-x-interview/amp/

DualShockers had a chat with Senior Brand Director Rich Briggs, who provided a detailed overview of the upcoming update, and of how the game will support Xbox One X.
First of all, we hear that the developer treats every platform as its own launch, maximizing each specific hardware. They learned a lot from the PC and PS4 Pro versions. The main difference is that with the Xbox One X version, it’s the first time they were able to deliver a true native 4K signal. For that reason it’s the “highest fidelity version” among all.
On Xbox One X you can go through the game and see things that you couldn’t notice on other platforms thanks to the true 4K signal, in addition to the way the HDR support makes the colors pop and look realistic. Crystal Dynamics always aimed to bring people on an adventure with Lara, and the new console turns that adventure into an even more immersive experience, making it worth another playthrough.
Briggs mentioned one scene when Lara goes to Syria at the beginning of the game: you’re overlooking a valley and you can see a town being attacked. Before you just saw the explosions in the distance, but on Xbox One X you can actually see the debris coming off the buildings. In the domed area of the Prophet’s tomb you can see all the individual leaves, while in the Remnants’ valley you can watch across the hub area, and see clearly all the collectibles and the challenges you may want to do afterwards.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I am definitely using this game to really compare my PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. I am anxious to see how much better this version is.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6533358]I am definitely using this game to really compare my PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. I am anxious to see how much better this version is.[/QUOTE]

Judging by the comparisons we’ve already seen it’s going to be a noticeable difference.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6533361]Judging by the comparisons we’ve already seen it’s going to be a noticeable difference.[/QUOTE]

Noticeable would be having both running side by side and clearly seeing which one was the X version. I will find out if that is the case when I have them running together.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6533365]Noticeable would be having both running side by side and clearly seeing which one was the X version. I will find out if that is the case when I have them running together.[/QUOTE]
Its been done already, lethal. Once again you are downplaying what we already know to be fact.

As you can see below in the snapshots we captured, there are some instances where the Xbox One X version enjoys a massive boost in definition compared to PS4 Pro.

It should be noted that console users are able to choose between 4K resolution, enriched visuals and high frame rate (60fps) modes. However, 4K resolution is native on Xbox One X while PS4 Pro uses checkerboard rendering; the biggest difference can be probably found in the enriched visuals mode, though, since Xbox One X manages to keep a full 4K pixel count through temporal reprojection while PS4 Pro has to dial down the resolution to 1080P.
Digital Foundry notes that this technique isn’t quite as effective as the checkerboard rendering 4K mode on PS4 Pro, but it has the noticeable benefit of higher tessellation, more refined shadows and overall higher “graphics settings”.
Finally, the high frame rate mode also holds up better on Xbox One X: whereas during the final chapter PS4 Pro’s version of Rise of the Tomb Raider hovered around 50fps or so, on Xbox One X frame rate is pretty much locked at 60fps even in these more chaotic sections of the game.http://wccftech.com/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-xb1x-ps4-pro/

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6533366]Its been done already, lethal. Once again you are downplaying what we already know to be fact.[/QUOTE]

Dude this is about me and only me. My wanting to test these side by side with my TVs in front of my own eyes has absolutely nothing to do with you or the "we" you speak of.

I am going to test live action of the games and not still shots that are zoomed in.

So no, I am not down playing anything. I am simply going to be making own personal assessment of these 2 games.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6533368]Dude this is about me and only me. My wanting to test these side by side with my TVs in front of my own eyes has absolutely nothing to do with you or the "we" you speak of.

I am going to test live action of the games and not still shots that are zoomed in.

So no, I am not down playing anything. I am simply going to be making own personal assessment of these 2 games.[/QUOTE]
I’m sure what you’re going to do is no different than what’ been done before. You make it sound like no other comparisons will matter but yours even after the devs said it’s the highest fidelity version.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6533377]I’m sure what you’re going to do is no different than what’ been done before. You make it sound like no other comparisons will matter but yours even after the devs said it’s the highest fidelity version.[/QUOTE]

I make it sound like I am doing this for myself to see and make my own comparisons.... And just like reviews, nothing matters but my own.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6533378]I make it sound like I am doing this for myself to see and make my own comparisons.... And just like reviews, nothing matters but my own.[/QUOTE]
Not saying anything wrong with you doing your own comparisons but are you really expecting something different? Nothing is gonna change the fact that Xbox one is more capable than ps4pro. Numerous gaming media sites have already done comparisons with pretty much the same result.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6533381]Not saying anything wrong with you doing your own comparisons but are you really expecting something different? Nothing is gonna change the fact that Xbox one is more capable than ps4pro. Numerous gaming media sites have already done comparisons with pretty much the same result.[/QUOTE]

You are missing the entire point. This is not about whether the Xbox One X version is better. That is obvious as all hell. This is about me seeing how much the differences are in actual game play. Not still images. This is about seeing exactly what the X offers over the Pro and I am going to use this game to see how much more. I want to see if it is major, minor, or not noticeable.

According to you I am not allowed to do this because everyone else seems to have done it for me......

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6533382]You are missing the entire point. This is not about whether the Xbox One X version is better. That is obvious as all hell. This is about me seeing how much the differences are in actual game play. Not still images. This is about seeing exactly what the X offers over the Pro and I am going to use this game to see how much more. I want to see if it is major, minor, or not noticeable.

According to you I am not allowed to do this because everyone else seems to have done it for me......[/QUOTE]

of course you can do what you want. I'm not saying that. I'm saying you are ignoring the fact that its noticeable. Did you not read Yungstar's post at all? Especially the second paragraph where it goes into specifics on what you can see in this version that you couldn't see with the others? After all that you still want to see if there is any noticeable difference? Come on, Lethal. Its like you are in some sort of denial.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6533384]of course you can do what you want. I'm not saying that. I'm saying you are ignoring the fact that its noticeable. Did you not read Yungstar's post at all? Especially the second paragraph where it goes into specifics on what you can see in this version that you couldn't see with the others? After all that you still want to see if there is any noticeable difference? Come on, Lethal. Its like you are in some sort of denial.[/QUOTE]

Denial? lol you are in some sort of weird fantasy world. I am just looking forward to making my own comparisons. Have a good night buddy.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6533385]Denial? lol you are in some sort of weird fantasy world. I am just looking forward to making my own comparisons. Have a good night buddy.[/QUOTE]
Please do share the results of your comparison. You sort of make no sense because you said its obvious as all hell which one is better, but then you say you want to see if its minor, major or not noticeable.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6533386]Please do share the results of your comparison. You sort of make no sense because you said its obvious as all hell which one is better, but then you say you want to see if its minor, major or not noticeable.[/QUOTE]

I said that because the specs of the Xbox One X are higher than the Pro. So I already know the game should look better. Like I said from my very first post. I want to see exactly how much better in a side by side comparison.

[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6533358]I am definitely using this game to really compare my PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. I am anxious to see how much better this version is.[/QUOTE]

PBM

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6533386]Please do share the results of your comparison. You sort of make no sense because you said its obvious as all hell which one is better, but then you say you want to see if its minor, major or not noticeable.[/QUOTE]
What's wrong with what he said? Good grief, lol.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under

Heres another one.

Always maintained no extra memory was dumb for PS4 Pro.

[video=youtube;CzPsxUyoe3E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzPsxUyoe3E[/video]

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6533488]Heres another one.

Always maintained no extra memory was dumb for PS4 Pro.

[video=youtube;CzPsxUyoe3E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzPsxUyoe3E[/video][/QUOTE]

Looks really good on the X for sure. I downloaded the Forza Xbox One X demo in full 4K with HDR and it was absolutely stunning on my TV.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[video=youtube;SQ6W4bVqQzk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ6W4bVqQzk&t=1173s[/video]

This comparison seems to favor GT Sport. But these 2 games are really not same in terms of a racing game. There are reasons to own both games if you can.

GT has the more realistic approach. Cars feel a bit more floaty in Forza, and GT does not offer the rewind button. A feature I absolutely hate.

Forza has really nice weather effects and visible damage. Forza also has more tracks and cars. GT has a better ranking/reward system and really pushes the players to race online in tournaments and daily race challenges.

I am really looking forward to Forza 7 as it gives me a chance to get out of the ultra realistic racing feel of GT and in to a slightly more arcade feel I get with Forza.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6533517]Both games are good. Forza is the better game. The game is gorgeous on xb1x.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmmm, that is subjective. You have not even played Gran Turismo Sport or Forza 7. So you are clearly giving a biased opinion because you favor the Xbox. Both games offer what the opposition does not. Forza feels more floaty while driving while GT feels more realistic. GT offers a much greater reward system for playing the game. Forza offers weather and damage. Both offer a similar decal design system.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6533518]Hmmmmm, that is subjective. You have not even played Gran Turismo Sport or Forza 7. So you are clearly giving a biased opinion because you favor the Xbox. Both games offer what the opposition does not. Forza feels more floaty while driving while GT feels more realistic. GT offers a much greater reward system for playing the game. Forza offers weather and damage. Both offer a similar decal design system.[/QUOTE]
Of course it’s subjective. Some will prefer GT but it’s hard to deny Forza is just a more complete package. More vehicles, more tracks,dynamic weather, campaign ,etc. I don’t use metacritic to determine whether I will buy a game or not but there are reasons why GT is 75 and Forza is 86 with 3 times more reviews. Even if metacritic didn’t exist forza would still be the better game imo because it’s simply getting better reviews.

and I have played Forza 7 but not GT sport but you really don’t have to in order to determine which is a better game. I prefer playing Forza Horizon over both any day.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6533519]and I have played Forza 7 but not GT sport [/QUOTE]

And end of discussion.....

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Well I officially retract my statement of not seeing much of a difference between the One X version and the Pro version. I made a quick video from my phone showing the differences. Even from an external recording, you can clearly see the One X is better.

I am seeing areas in the One X version that are so incredibly gorgeous. Same spots on the Pro are not. Not all areas of the game are a night and day difference, but when you find those areas they are very easy to see the differences.

I also noticed that while in the snow areas, the One X version will show ice sticking to Lara's hair and clothes. The PS4 version did not do that.

[video=youtube;-O2pkm-DD80]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O2pkm-DD80&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Xbox One X

PS4 Pro

Last edited:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6534395]Couldn't that just be time of day?
Snow effects aside.[/QUOTE]

Possibly. But in the this scene the PS4 version looked blurry with missing light effects. I will see I can match up time of day. It's random every time I fast travel

May 20, 2008
If you read the article at DF they go into detail about how much better the Xbox one x version is. They describe some obvious improvements on the Xbox version. I don’t have the PS4 pro to make my own comparison but I can say this game is gorgeous on Xbox one x. A easily noticeable improvement over the Xbox one and PS4 versions. Gears 4 and Halo look gorgeous as well. This console is breathing new life into some of my favorite games.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Even Lara has a lot more textures to her clothes on the One X. I will post some more pictures showing that along with the snow sticking to Lara.

I have to say that I am overall pretty impressed with the One X.