Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox One X: CD Talks “Highest Fidelity Version,” and More.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6534420]Well I dont want that! I want Lara with less clothes textures... well with less clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Less clothes and more "snow" sticking to her, am I right?

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Ok so for some reason it took forever to get the PS4 version to display the same time of day. This does make a big difference as you can see from the pictures. Both pictures are in .PNG format with Enriched Graphics turned on.

When you blow up the pictures you can clearly see the One X version is smoother. It also supports HDR where the PS4 Pro version does not. HDR is not present in the pictures, but in this same scene on the One X, you can see the circle of the sun with the light pouring away from it. It looks very nice.

PS4 Pro

Xbox One X

Last edited:

PBM

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
That looks better on the Xbox, but it still looks like dog doo compared to the PC version. I'm glad 4K gaming is a thing on consoles now though.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6534431]That looks better on the Xbox, but it still looks like dog doo compared to the PC version. I'm glad 4K gaming is a thing on consoles now though.[/QUOTE]

The PC version has man variables though. You can't just say "PC" because not all PC's look better than this. They would need to have a PC capable of producing the ultra setting graphics.

So in reality, people should say that this $500 console still does not look as good a $1,000+ PC.

PBM

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6534432]The PC version has man variables though. You can't just say "PC" because not all PC's look better than this. They would need to have a PC capable of producing the ultra setting graphics.

So in reality, people should say that this $500 console still does not look as good a $1,000+ PC.[/QUOTE]
Well obviously I meant it looks better on a PC with good hardware, which I have.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6534431]That looks better on the Xbox, but it still looks like dog doo compared to the PC version. I'm glad 4K gaming is a thing on consoles now though.[/QUOTE]
Then what does that make the PS4 pro version? I play the game on PC as well and that’s not true at all. Not according to the comparisons that were done.The Xbox one x version holds up well against the pc version. Pc version is better but from what I’ve seen the gap is farther between PS4 pro and Xbox one x.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
This is why consoles and PC's should never be compared or considered to be in the same group. You can not upgrade the consoles. A personal computer is NOT a home console. Naturally if you spend $1500 on a PC you would expect it to look better than a $300-$500 home video game console.

Last edited by a moderator:

PBM

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6534441]Then what does that make the PS4 pro version? I play the game on PC as well and that’s not true at all. Not according to the comparisons that were done.The Xbox one x version holds up well against the pc version. Pc version is better but from what I’ve seen the gap is farther between PS4 pro and Xbox one x.[/QUOTE]
I'm playing at 4K on max settings in HDR and yes it looks way better than the Xbox version. All that's required to notice is a pair of eyes. The Xbox version looks great, though and I'm impressed what it can do in 4K.

[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6534443]This is why consoles and PC's should never be compared or considered to be in the same group. You can not upgrade the consoles. A personal computer is NOT a home console. Naturally if you spend $1500 on a PC you would expect it to look better than a $300-$500 home video game console.[/QUOTE]
I wasn't bashing consoles. I will always love consoles for the simple fact that you don't need to go nuts on hardware because developers will always be optimizing the game for the console so you will always get great performance year after year. PCs will never have this.

Edit: Lol I accidentally edited your post instead of making a new reply. -.-

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6534444]I'm playing at 4K on max settings in HDR and yes it looks way better than the Xbox version. All that's required to notice is a pair of eyes. The Xbox version looks great, though and I'm impressed what it can do in 4K.

[/QUOTE]
so am I and there are differences but it’s not way better looking. Go and watch the comparison videos that DF did.

[FONT=&quot]
DF noted that they couldn't even replicate the Xbox One X facial injuries/dirt on the PC version of the game even though they were running on the game's highest settings.”
I would post the comparison video if I could but even on max settings it doesn’t look way better, but is the best looking version.
[/FONT]

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6534432]The PC version has man variables though. You can't just say "PC" because not all PC's look better than this. They would need to have a PC capable of producing the ultra setting graphics.

So in reality, people should say that this $500 console still does not look as good a $1,000+ PC.[/QUOTE]

It will look the same on a budget $500 PC vs a $1000 PC, the difference is frame rates.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6534459]It will look the same on a budget $500 PC vs a $1000 PC, the difference is frame rates.[/QUOTE]

Bollocks

Dependent on you graphics card on your $500 pc...

Your VRAM will dictate what resolution you can play the game at, it will also start to texture thrash if you dont have enough vram. Making the game completly unplayable.

Frame rate/texture quality/screen tearing/lag from texture thrashing/resolution.

=doesnt look the same at all.

[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6534444]I'm playing at 4K on max settings in HDR and yes it looks way better than the Xbox version. All that's required to notice is a pair of eyes. The Xbox version looks great, though and I'm impressed what it can do in 4K.
[/quote]
Whats your graphics card?

Lets not piss about here, you need a 1070 at least to get stable 30fps 4k FXAA on the PC.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

Nuff said.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I agree with mynd, since I had a $500 PC years ago that could barely run current-gen games in HD at a decent framerate. I can't imagine the price to power result has really improved since.

Probably didn't have a very good CPU either.

Last edited:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6534459]It will look the same on a budget $500 PC vs a $1000 PC, the difference is frame rates.[/QUOTE]

No it won't. A $150 graphics card will not put out the same quality as a $500 graphics card. No way in hell. Same goes for the cpu.

PBM

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6534472]No it won't. A $150 graphics card will not put out the same quality as a $500 graphics card. No way in hell. Same goes for the cpu.[/QUOTE]
Yeah a $500 PC isn't going to be playing this game at 4K ... maybe with everything turned off ... but that kind of defeats the purpose.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I remember reading a while back that PCs were struggling to hit 4K at a decent or high framerate and because of this we shouldn't expect upgraded consoles to reach the same benchmark.

PBM

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6534467]Whats your graphics card?

Lets not piss about here, you need a 1070 at least to get stable 30fps 4k FXAA on the PC.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

Nuff said.[/QUOTE]
GTX 1080. Gonna be upgrading to a Volta GPU when they come out early next year though. Also, I wasn't bashing consoles. I'm very impressed with the Xbox for what it does at its price point. If PCs were stripped down and optimized just for games like the Xbox is, they'd be able to do a lot more as well. And of course on top of this you have devs trying to get the best performance out of all these optimizations. With PCs you NEED all this extra crap to get things to run well to compensate for a lack of optimization or whatever.

[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6534499]I remember reading a while back that PCs were struggling to hit 4K at a decent or high framerate and because of this we shouldn't expect upgraded consoles to reach the same benchmark.[/QUOTE]
I haven't had issues with 4K on most games, but my PC is ridiculous. But you still need a very high end PC to run 4K at any decent frame rate. Even mid range PCs have issues with 4K. I fully believe next year will be the year of 4K for PCs and high frame rates with NVIDIA's new line of Volta GPUs ... at least that's what I'm hoping. I have a mid-size tower right now and I'm going to be going more of the media center route ... so I'm going to be cramming a bunch of high end components into the new version of the Dan A4-SFX case. Gotta trim the fat cuz my current mid-size tower is like 55-60 pounds. Will be nice to be more around the 15-20 pound range.

Last edited: