Rumor: Disgaea 3 to be PlayStation Vita launch game

Ryunosuke

Elite Member
Jul 3, 2005
Oklahoma
There’s a rumor making the rounds that Disgaea 3 may make its way to the PSV. The original claim comes from a list of newly announced games in a Japanese Yahoo article. The article made the claim listed below, but it later removed the listing. Is Sony trying to keep developers quiet until Gamescom or maybe Tokyo Game Show?

日本一ソフトウェア
■PSV
本体と同時発売 魔界戦記ディスガイア3 Return 新規

Would you like to see this PlayStation 3 game on the Vita?
http://www.handheldgamingblog.com/rumor-disgaea-3-to-be-playstation-vita-launch-game/

Nippon Ichi, the developer for the Disgaea series, is also planning a "big announced" on August 11th at the Akihabara Denkigai Festival.

Nippon Ichi will be attending this year's installment of the annual Akihabara Denkigai Festival, which will be held from August 11 through 13 in Akihabara. And not just attending. The publisher is promising some sort of major announcement for the event.

The announcement will presumably come on the 11th, which is the only day Nippon Ichi will be at the event.

Joining the mystery announcement, Nippon Ichi will host a live talk event with its production staff and with Disgaea 4 voice actress Suzuko Mimori. If you have a question you'd like the group to answer, you can submit it here (the question should probably be in Japanese).
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/07/26/nippon_ichi_announcement/

Is the 'Return' part of the Disgaea title? If so it may be more than just a straight port. I know google isn't the best source for a translation, but the yahoo article also states about a "simultaneous release".

"Nippon Ichi Software
■ PSV
Disgaea Disgaea 3 Return simultaneous release of a new body"

Ryunosuke

Elite Member
Jul 3, 2005
Oklahoma
Disgaea 3 Return has now been confirmed for the PSVita.

There were some reports a few weeks back about a Disgaea 3 remake or port being planned for PlayStation Vita. Dengeki PlayStation confirms those reports this wek.

The game in question is titled Disgaea 3 Return. Nippon Ichi is making some improvements over the PS3 original, including the use of close-up character pics (seen in Disgaea 4), four new scenarios, and two new characters. All the DLC from the PS3 will be included.

The original reports said that the game would be released opposite the Vita launch. It's unclear at present if Dengeki confirms this, although we'll hopefully get more details later in the day.
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/08/09/disgaea_3_vita_confirmed/

Considering it has been rumor that Sony has had a NDA on showing third-parties, this might indicate that the NDA is up and that we may start hearing about a lot more third-party titles(Gamescom?).

Edit:

It appears it will also be playable at TGS. No release date is mentioned, but I don't expect one to be until after Sony announces the launch date for the PSVita.

Dengeki PlayStation does not have a release time frame for Disgaea 3 Return. However, it does provide an indication of when we'll get to play the PlayStation Vita title.

In an interview with the magazine, Nippon Ichi CEO Sohei Niikawa says that current plans call for the game to be shown in playable form at this year's Tokyo Game Show, which will be held in mid September.

As detailed earlier, the Vita port of PlayStation 3's Disgaea 3 will feature four new scenarios. These all take place after the main storyline and have different main characters. They're meant to shine the spotlight on side characters. One of the four scenarios will feature two new characters.

In his interview, Niikawa said the main attraction for the Vita version is the new scenarios. The last of the four scenarios is so long that one could actually say the game includes five new scenarios, he said.

The Vita version will also include all the PS3 version's download content, including the four chapters of the Raspberyl scenario, 49 background tracks, 29 save data icons, and so-forth.

There could be additional Vita exclusive features besides the new scenarios. Niikawa said that they're hoping to make use of positional information and touch functionality. The Vita version may also get its own download content, although if this were the case the content would focus on characters from Disgaea 4.

One thing that won't be changing is the sprite resolution. Niikawa said that they were considering upping the visuals the high resolution like in Disgaea 4, but instead decided to focus on adding content to the game. He assured that the game looks beautiful on the Vita screen.

The Vita version may have faster load times than PS3 version. While the game is not yet running on the system's flash cards, Niikawa expects the loading to be better due to both the Vita's advanced capabilities and better memory management (I'm not sure if he's referring to the Vita's better memory management or the programmers' better memory management).

Nippon Ichi will be looking at the response Return gets to decide what type of titles they should bring to the Vita, Niikawa said.
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/08/09/nippon_ichi_ceo_interview/

Last edited:

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
Might as well buy this one, I've got so much unfinished games on PS3 alone that I'll probably never have the time to return to Disgaea 3. Having it on Vita would give me the time to play it when I'm in places with nothing else to play.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
I already have it for PS3, but I haven't finished it and with each passing month (and, by this point, year), it's getting harder & harder to return to it without just beginning all over.

AaronSOLDIER

Ultimate Veteran
Apr 5, 2007
forums.final7fantasy.com
[QUOTE="Azu, post: 5629339]I already have it for PS3, but I haven't finished it and with each passing month (and, by this point, year), it's getting harder & harder to return to it without just beginning all over.[/QUOTE]

Sorry wasnt directing that at you just to those who haven't got it yet.

Last edited:

Ryunosuke

Elite Member
Jul 3, 2005
Oklahoma
It has been confirmed as a launch title for the PSVita.

Missing from Dengeki PlayStation's report on Disgaea 3 Return this week was an indication on when the PlayStation Vita port/remake would see release. Nippon Ichi provided that information today.

Famitsu.com reports that Nippon Ichi confirmed the game as a Vita launch title during a stage event at today's Akihabara Denkigai Festival. The site did not provide additional details aside from this, but promised a more detailed report on the stage event later in the day.

Of course, this still doesn't tell us specifically when we'll get to play the game. However, Sony has indicated that the Japanese Vita launch is planned for this year, so we can probably flag the game as TBA 2011 for now.

With Nippon Ichi providing official announcement of Return today, we'll hopefully get a first look shortly.
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/08/11/disgaea_3_vita_launch/

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
They would be better to port Disgaea 4 and patch in cross-platform play post release.

Either way that's a good choice. I guess it was logical as well considering 1+2 have already been made for PSP. Reminds me of how fragmented my Disgaea collection is. I have 1 on PSP (UMD), 2 on PS2, and 3 on PS3.

Ryunosuke

Elite Member
Jul 3, 2005
Oklahoma
They have 4 others games they are working on as well.

Here is one of them. Although, not much is know about it besides the below image and that it is an action RPG from the Prinny team with full polygon visuals.

The title, platform and more information will be announced in late September and the game is planned for an early 2012 release.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/08/11/nippon_ichi_new_game/

The graphics and look of the character makes be believe it is either for the PS3 or PSVita or both. The timing of the announcement might suggest that it will at least be on the PSVita.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2007
[video=youtube;NRRbgQy5Hb4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRRbgQy5Hb4&feature=player_embedded[/video]

looks good, its great for the people who did not buy it on the ps3.