Rumor: Next-gen Xbox consists of traditional and streaming devices due out in 2020

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
The next generation Microsoft console is a family of devices code-named Scarlett that consists of a traditional local console and a streaming box due out in 2020, according to Thurrott, which has published accurate information about Microsoft’s inner workings in the past.

While the traditional console is said to be in the early days of development, Thurrott had a lot more to report on the streaming box, which is said to work with Microsoft’s upcoming game streaming platform.

Scarlett Cloud, as one of Thurrott’s sources referred to it, is a lower-powered, game-streaming device reported to be shipping alongside the traditional console. It is said to have a limited amount of local compute for tasks such as controller input, image processing, and collision detection. A “splice” or “slice” of the game will run locally, and Microsoft’s cloud will “stitch” it together with the game running on the server side. While this means more hardware is needed locally, which will raise the price of the device, it will still cost “significantly less” than what a new console would traditionally cost.

Thurrott reported that Microsoft’s end goal is to enable access to “Xbox” from any device at any time, as the company’s cloud platform has data centers in every major market of the world.

One source of the website noted that Microsoft’s plans may even reduce latency in all aspects of a game, as if a multiplayer game using Microsoft Azure as its central server, Scarlett Cloud will be closer physically to the multiplayer server, which results in less latency.

The website noted that all Scarlett games will run on all Scarlett devices, meaning there will not be any game that runs on the traditional Scarlett console that does not run on the streaming box, and vice-versa.
Source

If this true, at least you'll be able to choose between the two.

Jun 4, 2007
I'm not mad at options. I welcome cloud gaming as long as it works. Is it for me? Nope. I'll stick to traditional consoles.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Cloud services are still a hard sell for me personally. Granted, they seem to realise this themselves, but no closeness to 'X' datacenter is going to help ping when, say, i'm on the islands.

That being said, for those in developed countries, the streaming box (assuming the physical dimensions are in-line with the reduced specs) seems like it would make a handy companion device to the main console - assuming the pricing is done right.

Question to that end for the American peeps: The device will basically stream 1080p/4K video into your house constantly when gaming, are data caps still a thing over there? I recall that being a thing.

H

Hedon

No streaming box for me. Traditional all the way.

Cloud services are still a hard sell for me personally. Granted, they seem to realise this themselves, but no closeness to 'X' datacenter is going to help ping when, say, i'm on the islands.

That being said, for those in developed countries, the streaming box (assuming the physical dimensions are in-line with the reduced specs) seems like it would make a handy companion device to the main console - assuming the pricing is done right.

Question to that end for the American peeps: The device will basically stream 1080p/4K video into your house constantly when gaming, are data caps still a thing over there? I recall that being a thing.
Some providers have caps. Most of the providers that have caps offer plans without caps. The bigger providers like ATT, Charter, Spectrum, Time Warner and Verizon don't have caps.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Some providers have caps. Most of the providers that have caps offer plans without caps. The bigger providers like ATT, Charter, Spectrum, Time Warner and Verizon don't have caps.
Thanks, Hedon.
Down our end of the world we haven't had caps for like a decade. I think only mobile carriers still have caps currently. I always found it odd when the US (of all places) had data caps as a result.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
People were shooting bullets at MS for bringing up the idea of always online. They are nuts if they plan to go this way. If this is an alternative with zero exc content than it is ok, if not, they will shoot their own feet, and this is no suprise when it is MS doing it.

H

Hedon

I like that they are giving us the option to have a traditional console or a streaming console. Even Phil said he prefers traditional himself and will offer traditional for years to come.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
I like that they are giving us the option to have a traditional console or a streaming console. Even Phil said he prefers traditional himself and will offer traditional for years to come.
The problem is his preference has %0.001 impact on the decision.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
The problem is his preference has %0.001 impact on the decision.
I don't know where you're seeing "always online" next-gen Xbox console from a rumor stating there will be a traditional and streaming device (with all exclusive games running on both versions).

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
There is nothing wrong with this if it means that there is a way for you to go on and purchase a console cheap. This is essentially dropping the entry point that has often been a barrier for many gamers due to the price at which consoles launch.

With the way the industry is leaning towards having subscription based models (Game pass, EaAccess Origin etc), this is one way of cornering that market while the people who still want to buy consoles more in line with the traditional manner are in no way obstructed from their choice. It is the best of both worlds.

It is forward thinking from Microsoft and I believe that as things stand they currently have what should be the best product going into next gen as a platform holder.