Rumor: Sony to acquire Take-Two Interactive

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
https://www.psu.com/news/sony-acquire-take-two-interactive/

Could you imagine if it were true? A sports franchise like NBA 2K alongside MLB: The Show. Midnight Club rebooted and competing with Forza Horizon for best open world racer. Grand Theft Auto benefiting from the technical expertise of Naughty Dog's ICE Team, although WWE 2K might be in more need of a graphics overhaul.

May 20, 2008
https://www.psu.com/news/sony-acquire-take-two-interactive/

Could you imagine if it were true? A sports franchise like NBA 2K alongside MLB: The Show. Midnight Club rebooted and competing with Forza Horizon for best open world racer. Grand Theft Auto benefiting from the technical expertise of Naughty Dog's ICE Team, although WWE 2K might be in more need of a graphics overhaul.
If they bring back 2K Football I say make it happen, expeditiously. Does sony even have the cash on hand to make such a purchase? I don't think the sharehoulders of either would let it happen. The GTA franchise is worth billions alone. Highly unlikely, but never say never I guess.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Isn't Take-Two's stock floating up somewhere around Mars on account of GTA5 selling within the top 10 for the past 700 years?

This is one expensive buy.

I think this is a bit of speculation though. A not insignificant portion of the value of the company comes from the fact they publish far and wide. To lock that down essentially makes it worth less than what it was bought for. That's a hard sell at the investors call...

EDIT:
Aye, we might actually finally get Agent :LOL:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Hmm interesting rumour we'll find out in time. If this buy goes ahead I can't imagine since the games usually benefit from lot of platforms. People would buy a console for Take 2 Games.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Not really debunked. Take-Two refused to comment. That to me says there is something going on here.
Take-Two only commented by saying they don't comment on rumors. Not sure why they don't just outright deny this rumor if there's no truth to it.

May 20, 2008
Not really debunked. Take-Two refused to comment. That to me says there is something going on here.
It has been debunked already.

1. I am sure Sony has plenty of money.
2. Investors and loans make anything possible.
Sony may have plenty of money but they aren't that cash rich to make that big of a purchase. Take Two's market cap is about $13 Billion. Take two is built to take on developing for multiple consoles. The purchase wouldn't make any sense unless they are going to keep developing for all consoles. If they purchased some IPs or a couple of studios under T2 that would make more sense.

Take-Two only commented by saying they don't comment on rumors. Not sure why they don't just outright deny this rumor if there's no truth to it.
Because they like it when their stocks rise.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018

1. I am sure Sony has plenty of money.
2. Investors and loans make anything possible.
Nah, it was debunked officially by Sony as well.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/03/14/sony-kills-rumor-it-is-buying-grand-theft-auto-maker-take-two/

But a spokesperson for Sony said this morning that “we do not know where the rumor is coming from, but there is no such plan.”