Rumour: Rockstar New England Working on 360 Exclusive

Dennis Dyack

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2008
Rockstar New England, formerly Mad Doc Studios and developers of Bully: Scholarship Edition and the Empire Earth franchise, have been having one of those years. While last month’s layoffs hit hard, rendering “at least 10 percent of the studio” redundant, they came after news that the company was working on an unannounced title. However, this is not the case.

The developer has not one but two unannounced games in the pipeline. Any game from a studio marked “Rockstar” is bound to attract attention, right? Our sources went a step further, stating the second unannounced game to be exclusive to the Xbox 360. Created as a contrast to The Agent, coming exclusively to the Playstation 3? Maybe. Another AAA title for Rockstar to reap the greens with? As with The Agent, it won’t be long before all is unveiled in the coming months.
http://www.split-screen.com/2009/07/15/rumour-rockstar-new-england-working-on-360-exclusive/

J

justintheman99

Grrr....well they have my attention. Anyone else hate waiting to find out information like this? :lol:

Cooke_E_G

Forum Elder
May 12, 2007
I don't think any of these games will be fully exclusive, they will all be timed exclusives coming out a year later. Both console's user base is too large to omit one of their "AAA" games on.

I would like to hear more about it though, and have a video of The Agent.

Jaeger

Master Sage
Mar 2, 2008
[QUOTE="Cooke_E_G, post: 0]I don't think any of these games will be fully exclusive, they will all be timed exclusives coming out a year later. Both console's user base is too large to omit one of their "AAA" games on.

I would like to hear more about it though, and have a video of The Agent.[/quote]
I'm going with Sparc on this. I suspect Rockstar will stay true to their word and keep this title an exclusive to Microsoft and Agent exclusive to Sony. I just wish they'd release more info than they already have. I mean, talk about being a tease, eh?

skulpt

Master Guru
May 27, 2005
www.adigitaldreamer.com
[QUOTE="Staticneuron, post: 0]It would be hilarious if it was GTA5. I can see the chaos, tears and sour grapes that it would cause already if that were true.[/quote]

Nadda chance. No offense to R* New England, but the team working on Agent (R* North) is their A team, and this is basically their B team. The last game they developed was Empire Earth 3 and averaged a 51%. No way they would allow this team to take the reins of GTA5 unless R* thought the game had started to get too stale or something. It'll still be exciting to see what this exclusive is. I also predict it will be a 360 exclusive for good. BUt I hope it's not Empire Earth 4. LOL

Sino

Super Elite
Apr 14, 2006
They are making two exclusive AAA games......instead of one multiplatform AAA game.

The whole rumor doesn't make sense to me at all.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="Sino, post: 0]They are making two exclusive AAA games......instead of one multiplatform AAA game.

The whole rumor doesn't make sense to me at all.[/quote]
If the rumor were true, it makes perfect sense.
One game for the PS3, taking into account all the strengths the PS3 has.
One game for the 360, taking into account all the strengths the 360 has.

Neither game making any concessions for either of the other consoles weaknesses.

Sino

Super Elite
Apr 14, 2006
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 0]If the rumor were true, it makes perfect sense.

Neither game making any concessions for either of the other consoles weaknesses.[/quote]

So they should give one to wii also.

skulpt

Master Guru
May 27, 2005
www.adigitaldreamer.com
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 0]If the rumor were true, it makes perfect sense.

Neither game making any concessions for either of the other consoles weaknesses.[/quote]

That's really how I like it this gen. If developers really push the PS3 with demanding SPU usage and BR and the fact that there is a HD in all PS3s, you will get some advantages that you wouldn't get if you are building the game to work well with the 360 as well. If you also create a 360 game from the ground up with just the 360s strengths in mind, you are getting advantages as well. That's also why I can't stand it when people compare multiplatform games and say one system is stronger than the other based on that. Compare the exclusives from the developers who really want to push the systems, and you just plain will get better results IMO. That's also why I think Gears 2 could have looked even better if Epic wasn't using an engine that obviously has to work well with the PS3.

Cooke_E_G

Forum Elder
May 12, 2007
[QUOTE="Cavanaugh, post: 0]If it ends up being GTA5, it better be one amazing game.[/quote]

Why would it be GTAV? Isnt the GTA series usually done by R* North?

skulpt

Master Guru
May 27, 2005
www.adigitaldreamer.com
[QUOTE="Cooke_E_G, post: 0]Why would it be GTAV? Isnt the GTA series usually done by R* North?[/quote]

Yup. The only games this team has done recently is a port of Bully for the 360 and Empire Earth 3 that basically bombed. None of these guys have worked on GTA, so it's just not going to happen. That's not to say that they can't come up with something really cool, but it won't be GTA.

A7

Supreme Veteran
Apr 19, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I was interested when I heard R* North would be involved in a PS3 exclusive known as Agent.

I am interested if this does in fact turn out to be true that R* are again working on an X360 exclusive which is still unnamed.

It'd make perfect business sense to deliver toward a larger demographic of gamers (those who own X360's) and shows those gamers that R* have every intent of continuing development after the GTA IV franchise exclusives (developed by R* North) for the X360.

All I know is, with GTA IV: TBoGT & Agent coming, R* North are very busy with time and development. Rockstar New England, who was behind Bully (under rated game) is allowed this chance to shine and show furthermore why R* took Mad Doc Studios under their umbrella.

It's good news for all gamers really and I'm glad I continue to win from all ends.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="A7MAD, post: 0]I was interested when I heard R* North would be involved in a PS3 exclusive known as Agent.

I am interested if this does in fact turn out to be true that R* are again working on an X360 exclusive which is still unnamed.

It'd make perfect business sense to deliver toward a larger demographic of gamers (those who own X360's) and shows those gamers that R* have every intent of continuing development after the GTA IV franchise exclusives (developed by R* North) for the X360.

All I know is, with GTA IV: TBoGT & Agent coming, R* North are very busy with time and development. Rockstar New England, who was behind Bully (under rated game) is allowed this chance to shine and show furthermore why R* took Mad Doc Studios under their umbrella.

It's good news for all gamers really and I'm glad I continue to win from all ends.[/quote]

+rep. I hope you're right, I really do.

C

Cavanaugh

[QUOTE="Cooke_E_G, post: 0]Why would it be GTAV? Isnt the GTA series usually done by R* North?[/quote]

I have no idea. I just know of Rockstar to be honest. Don't know anything about north, south, east, west. Isn't "Rockstar" a developer with multiple development teams?

C

Cavanaugh

[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 0]I know exactly what it is. They were givin the rights to do:

Table Tennis 2
[/quote]

If it is, that would rock. I loved it. Got good ratings too.

S

SixAxisRumble

[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 0]I know exactly what it is. They were givin the rights to do:

Table Tennis 2
[/quote]

I bloody hope so, first game is one of the best games on the 360!

skulpt

Master Guru
May 27, 2005
www.adigitaldreamer.com
[QUOTE="A7MAD, post: 0]I was interested when I heard R* North would be involved in a PS3 exclusive known as Agent.

It's good news for all gamers really and I'm glad I continue to win from all ends.[/quote]

These guys weren't behind Bully though. They just ported Bully from the PS2 version that was developed by R* Vancouver, and even then their version was known for really bad technical issues. Read the reviews. I still also think they need a chance to prove themselves and they could do great, but the only recent thing they created on their own was Empire Earth 3, which I talked about earlier.

There are 9 other R* studios besides R* North that do basically other stuff. There's one in Japan, Leeds, London, New England, a couple in Canada. These studios do everything but GTA (with the exception of R* Leeds that does GTA on portables like PSP and DSi).

Let's give them a chance, but history hasn't been that kind to them by any means. I just don't think they would put a key franchise into these guys hands.