S T A L K E R 2 - Game Overview | Xbox Games Showcase

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
This game definitely looked promising. Is it recommended to play the first game before this one?

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
This game definitely looked promising. Is it recommended to play the first game before this one?
Nah, but it would properly flavour your expectations for the "second". There's nothing in the story for example that they can't bring you up to speed on quickly in the sequel for example. It's just the experience that you'd be missing. Given the games age tho, that experience may vary. But modded up it's still a pretty good experience.

I would highly recommend modding it, if you did pick it up. Some would say that kinda defeats the purpose, but imho, the base game was jank even when it was brand new.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Nah, but it would properly flavour your expectations for the "second". There's nothing in the story for example that they can't bring you up to speed on quickly in the sequel for example. It's just the experience that you'd be missing. Given the games age tho, that experience may vary. But modded up it's still a pretty good experience.

I would highly recommend modding it, if you did pick it up. Some would say that kinda defeats the purpose, but imho, the base game was jank even when it was brand new.
I might check out the first game. I haven't got it yet, but I might get it if it is in a sale.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Yeah, probably only worth it if you can grab it for a few bucks on steam sale or something. I think you might only need clear sky... can't remember tho.
Yeah, that part is what's confusing me a bit. There seems to be 3 or 4 different "games" available. Is it one main game and a few stand alone expansions or how does it work? On Steam you have the option to buy them separately or as a bundle.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Yeah, that part is what's confusing me a bit. There seems to be 3 or 4 different "games" available. Is it one main game and a few stand alone expansions or how does it work? On Steam you have the option to buy them separately or as a bundle.
I think they've done a bit of a F.E.A.R where they had a bunch of "sequels", and then down the line decided, lets make a proper "sequel" and slap a '2' on it.

But, Shadow of Chernobyl is the first, and the "sequel" is Call of Pripyat. Clear Sky is a prequel (so i guess can be put wherever). At least as far as i recall. I think the first was the only one i played with no mods, after that, who knows what got changed coz i had to mod them lol.

Found this, might be worth a watch instead of investing money in the originals - story spoilers tho.
One of the key points covered is @8:39. It's kinda like NMS, in that it's like a sandbox and you're the one making your own machinations.

I can't understate the fireplace thing tho. It's kinda crazy how, after slogging it through whatever little adventure you got yourself into, you'll see one of these with friendlies huddled around and merrily go join; If only for the comfort of not having everything out to kill you!