Samsung Launches 32GB NAND Flash Solid State Disk

LT1FUN

Superior Member
Dec 31, 2005
www.cardomain.com
Pretty amazing how fast technology is advancing. The next consoles after the 360 and PS3 will most likely have technology similar to this. Larger storage capacitys, faster access times and lower cost to boot! :)

Very cool stuff.

Samsung Launches 32GB NAND Flash Solid State Disk

By: César A. Berardini - "Cesar"

Mar. 21st, 2006 10:06 am

Samsung Electronics demonstrated today a notebook using the world's first 32-Gigabyte (GB) NAND flash-based solid state disk (SSD) at the Samsung Mobile Solution Forum 2006 in Taipei, Taiwan. This year will mark the first time that NAND flash technology has moved into mobile computing applications.

The 32GB Flash-SSD, which acts as replacement to a traditional hard disk drive, is a state-of-the-art data storage medium ideal for notebooks and other mobile devices because weighs only half as much as a comparably-sized hard drive, uses just five percent of the electricity needed to power a hard disc drive and is noiseless. In addition, the Samsung Flash-SSD is free of any motor or other mechanical parts and uses instantly-accessible, non-moving NAND flash memory to read data three times faster and write data 1.5 times faster than a hard disk drive.

Samsung sees the overall global SSD market surging from US$540 million in 2006 to US$4.5 billion by 2010.

By the time Microsoft comes out with their next console after the, it wouldn't surprise me if 100GB or bigger NAND flash-based solid state will be much more common place and will probably be used in future game consoles. The future is looking good. :)

Check out this link for specifications on Samsungs latest offering.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/10522/Samsung-Launches-32GB-NAND-Flash-Solid-State-Disk/

Thegamingdwarf

Dedicated Member
Feb 12, 2005
Oxford, UK
citizensparks.tumblr.com
Damn, you beat me to it, by about 30 mins, but you still beat me, anyway, heres Gizmodo's take on it:

Samsung rolled out a 2.5-inch, 32GB flash drive that the company intends to market as a hard drive replacement unit. As it is with solid-state anything, it uses up just a fraction of the energy of devices with moving parts—in this case, 5% of the power of an old-fashoined spinning hard disk.

This technology will be especially well-suited for laptops, where Samsung, the world’s largest manufacturer of NAND flash memory, has been trying to push its products. Samsung didn’t reveal pricing for the 32GB unit, but it will probably show up first in notebooks manufactured in Taiwan.

Playstation 3 storage device anyone? Its 2.5 inches (the same size as the expansion slot) and is made by samsung (who are in talks with sony) and it is a big capacity with new technology, hmm, interesting prospect.

fooster

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2005
www.epc-clan.net
it'll be interesting on how samsung tries to market this.
I think they're starting with laptops, but with recent lawsuits filed against samsung, 3 top execs are going to jail.
Samsung better keep this clean.
Look for this to be going to the ipods as well.

surtur

Super Elite
Oct 5, 2005
Does this mean that we will not need to worry about droping out laptops and killing the HDD :) these flash discs are not effected by vibration or being dropped are they or at least not as much as a standard HDD.?? well i think as long as the cost isn't much more then standard HDD then this Tech will replace the old outdated junk that is in our PC's