Season passes & DLC Discussion!!

nextgen3

Super Elite
May 15, 2006
Wales, UK
Possible Benefits

Some argue this business model provides benefits to both publishers and players alike. For publishers, this bundling together with a discount may influence players who were going to only buy a small amount of DLC to purchase more of it to take advantage of the discount. Additionally, by offering pre-orders of future DLC they can collect revenue before the DLC is officially released. For players, those who were already planning to buy all of a title's DLC are able to receive a somewhat significant discount.

Possible Backlash

Some have criticized that publishers can abuse the Season Pass by deceptively offering only a portion of the DLC, leaving out some content that must still be purchased separately.
Do I hate these sort of content! Yes I do, I mean you buy a game full price an then having to pay a little extra £5/$10 for something you didn't get in a pre-order copy when in pre-order copies you get it free, is this a small con on those gamers who don't pre-order games? or to misjudge gamers of something they never knew about then later having to find out they have pay the DLC for it! an there's monthly DLC which can be a bit of a picky moment when you see the prices for 1 lot of DLC.

Season passes on the other hand it quite a steep imo buy a full price game on top of the £20/$40 season pass which isn't great or moneys worth unless gamers who don't care for money just splash out.

Free DLC always good in my eyes draws gamers easily an lets them have fun with the content which can bring sales up of the games that offer the free DLC.

Hate it or love it! everyone has an option but some games can have a option to dig deep in your to your pockets or there's others who are willing!

so far I heard -:

Batman Season pass is $40
Black ops III season pass is $50

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
Well, the way I see it is that DLC started off well, but it turned into a negative thing where it is being ab used as far as I know.

Looking at the DLC of Evolve, for instance, it was quite the news that the Season pass was covering only part of the big amount of DLC that was actually out at the very start of the release.
I've barely bought ANY DLC over the years, besides the one for Bioshock Infinite as it added a new part to the story.
There's more DLC out there that do this, but so far it's just being abused, want a gun? Buy it for 99 cents! And there's a lot more like that, which is just ridiculous, they're asking way too many for way too little.

If I could choose, just bring back the original Expansion Packs where you actually had a nice pack of content that was worth its price, not the option to buy each single item or unlock anything (which also takes away the actual fun in gaming).

raremew

Apprentice
Oct 19, 2012
Texas
I don't mind dlc if it adds something new to a game, such as extra levels and what not..
but to be charging huge chunks of money for characters that were already suppose to be in the game.. kinda frustrating..
It wasn't so bad, but it seems like alot of dlc is being charged for almost half the retail price of the original game price is just ridiculous

Aug 22, 2006
Alone in the Cold
How to fix Season Passes
1 - Change name to DLC pass and make all DLC available to it
2 - Dont make it more than $30
3 - ???
4 - Profit

This way developers get a extra $30 out of people and gamers feel safer to not getting screwed over as much so more people have incentive to purchase it. I rather not have any DLC at all unless its an expansion but i think this is a compromise.

GazzaGSi

Elite Guru
May 9, 2007
I don't mind season passes, you tend to get the full package abit cheaper compared to buying individual map packs if you want all the packs or in DriveClubs instance, the monthly content.

I don't like exclusive pre order bonuses or exclusive pre order bonuses at certain stores.

There hasn't been a game where I've been unhappy with the content it launched with so if I feel I want more of it and it's a keeper then I'll buy the season pass as I did with Driveclub, CODAW and battlefield premium.

raremew

Apprentice
Oct 19, 2012
Texas
Well, in a situation season passes can be a good thing and help you save on content, I just don't like being overcharged for something as simple as a character, and yea i dont like pre-order exclusives.. I remember when I bought one game i pre-ordered it turns out you only got the dlc from BestBuy. well, one problem... I DON'T HAVE A BEST BUY EVEN CLOSE TO ME...

Bitbydeath

Power Member
Sep 10, 2005
I like DLC if done right.

For example

Binding of Isaac : Afterbirth

100+ new items
a full new game mode that will totally change how you play
10 new challenges
a new playable character, Lilith
a new alternate final chapter
new alt floors
new game endings
new final bosses
tons of new bosses and enemies
new item pickups, cards, pills, etc.
tons of new achievements and rewards for beating the game on hard
new co-op babies
new transformations
and more...
Basically a whole new game and all for one single price.

Season passes however I am weary of.
I bought the Borderlands 2 Season pass and then they proceeded to release a bunch more content that was not covered by the pass.
Gibbed.

raremew

Apprentice
Oct 19, 2012
Texas
[QUOTE="Bitbydeath, post: 6442355]I like DLC if done right.

Season passes however I am weary of.
I bought the Borderlands 2 Season pass and then they proceeded to release a bunch more content that was not covered by the pass.
Gibbed.[/QUOTE]

Well that is just bulls#iT.. if you're gonna be selling a season pass for access to dlc, you should'nt make people buy it then release stuff that isnt covered like that

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
[QUOTE="raremew, post: 6442357]Well that is just bulls#iT.. if you're gonna be selling a season pass for access to dlc, you should'nt make people buy it then release stuff that isnt covered like that[/QUOTE]
Exactly, which is why I don't buy any DLC unless I feel it's worth it (e.g. Bioshock Infinite DLC).
It's a true shame they're abusing this whole system though, like this;
http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/11/8018591/evolve-dlc-cost-buy-everything

Just a shame really. But then again, there's loads of people who all complain about this system, though nobody actually does shit about it. The companies just do what they want and they actually make money because there'll always be someone who'll buy into that shit.

raremew

Apprentice
Oct 19, 2012
Texas
Dlc is just a way for companies to get more money out of people..
I mean yeah so dlc is pretty cool and can make a game replayable.. but it still sucks money out of you

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
They do things such as Day 1 DLC and Season Passes because they want people to buy the games on release date.
They know that after 6 months the game will drop in price or sometimes in less time than that.

VayMasters86

Dedicated Member
Sep 13, 2007
I'm done with season passes now. There was only one I bought in the past that was worth it, and that was for Borderlands 2, and yeah it was stupid that they added DLC that wasn't covered by the season pass, but what was included was quite a bit of content.

Day 1 DLC for cash is bullshit. Free day 1 DLC is fine since it shows they're still willing to work on content included in the initial purchase for no extra charge, and Sony/MS/Ninty shouldn't allow there to be locked on disc content that can only be accessed through purchasing DLC.

I wouldn't mind buying large expansions, like something that would add a whole new post game story if it's just as long as the primary game, but other than that, the prices are out of control. Though I hear that Ninty offers big packs for little in their first party games.

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
If you have a season pass for a game, then you MUST lower the game by the total amount you're charging for the season. Whether it's multiplayer or campaign DLC. It's not fair to pay that much for a freakin game and then pay extra on top of it. I thought that's what collectors editions were for. That's understandable, but not season passes. It's the norm now, just like how EA doing online passes for their games was the norm last gen. The only games worthy of a season pass are RPG's like Fallout. Those, I bought all the DLC for because it added so many hours of extra playthroughs and story. That's worth the money. Online DLC should always be free by default, no matter what. Unless you're company is struggling to make a name for itself or trying to recover, you have no right to put a price on DLC - it should be free.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
It is all about you like the main game or not, but paying beforehand even there is no clue about what the upcoming contents are is weird. DLC is more likeable, but I don't liked it either. In my whole life, I only wished to buy one DLC it was for last of us, because the game is so amazing. In the end I didn't buy it tho lol.
The only game I paid for a season pass is DriveClub, there were one reasons I paid for it, because by the time I bought it, it was pretty cheap. I am glad I bought it tho, it adds so many things to the original game, I am feeling like playing the DC2.

I am completely disagree with the idea of DLC or SP tho. Back in the day, when you bought an expention pack, it usually comes with tons of content, like completely new game with same graphical settings. nowadays , I see nothing like old expention packs instead, I am paying more to get almost half what I was getting.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="Bitbydeath, post: 6442355]Season passes however I am weary of.
Gibbed.[/QUOTE]
For me that is the main problem with DLC/SP, terrible behaviour.

When done right with substantial content I like it, I enjoyed Skyrim DLC for example. when it is anything less than this it feels like a rip-off.

Evil Within for example, I am waiting for a full version of the game to release with all DLC. That would be nice anyway.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Remember when we didn't mind DLC at first since we had good disk game expansions with heaps of content years ago. Very few DLCs were worth while also the fact is when they have a pre-order bonus/day one dlc/season pass you never know if it's going to be any good or that people want to get the full experience of the game.

There will be a time that this is dlc/season pass and over time then it is going to end up getting to the point that they will take this too far. Such as dirty business just enjoyed the days that all you got was the game and that was it.