Second Chance

Xraein

Dedicated Member
May 6, 2008
Venus
So do you think everyone deserves a second chance no matter what did they do?

For example, when criminal people go to jail for the crimes they do or whatever, do you think they deserve another chance to be forgiven and live a normal life etc?

Your thoughts.

Edit: fixed the typo. :p

Ezekiel

Forum Sage
Apr 29, 2006
That's a tough question in my opinion. Plenty of people are given second chances to change their ways yet, they continue on the same path.

Sektor

Forum Elder
Mar 10, 2008
I think it depends on what they have done. You need to know each circumstance before you can really say.

Seconde lol

squirrelbo1

young rich and tasteless
Jul 27, 2008
London
yes i honestly do think people deserve a second chance. although it does depend. serial killers no. because they had the second chance after they killed the first person. and choose not to take it.

M

M._Bison

Remorse is the key here. If someone shows remorse over a wrong they have commited, then it should be their' right to have a second chance.

However, where repeat instances of the same action are discovered, i.e. in the case of a serial rapist/murderer, then they get no chances.

Kwes

Unbound Mercenary
Mar 30, 2009
It depends on the situation.

If a kid is stealing food for his family to survive. but then has the money to get food he would most likely stop stealing.

But if a guy murders another guy in cold blood, then no. He deserves the gas chamber.

Molo316

Master Guru
Jul 4, 2009
BRITAIN
www.fernanzr.uk.tt
[QUOTE="Sektor, post: 0]I think it depends on what they have done. You need to know each circumstance before you can really say.

Seconde lol[/quote]
I agree with this. Additionally, you'd need to examine how they carry their self.

For instance, if you caught someone committing a crime and they immediately plea for a second chance, it would seem likely that they're just using it as an excuse to dodge a punishment.

It would be a long process for me...

Bigdoggy

Master Guru
Jan 24, 2008
[QUOTE="Xraein, post: 0]So do you think everyone deserves a second chance no matter what did they do?

For example, when criminal people go to jail for the crimes they do or whatever, do you think they deserve another chance to be forgiven and live a normal life etc?

Your thoughts.

Edit: fixed the typo. :p[/quote]

it really depends on how they reacted to what they did. If you have just a rotten ******* that lets say stabbed a pregnant lady or decapitated a child (john walshes son for example) no, They shouldn't be forgiven by me at least. The reason is because for the child, he was driving around looking for a child, he knew what he was doing.

there are accidental deaths and it will happen more and more as the population increases, I believe those people should be forgiven. They should be forgiven because the punishment of whatever happened by a complete accident is going to be stuck in their head for the rest of their lives, they will be thinking about that all the time and basically be horrified most likely, that's more then enough punishment for a complete accident.

If it's things like car theft yes I believe those people that steal cars or whatever can change, I believe they can. However, with that being said if they did it again after being forgiven then the punishment should be a bit more compared to the first offence.

I don't know **shrug*** it all depends on the situation.

Mael Duin

Elite Sage
Sep 12, 2005
It depends, A LOT.
Psychological state of the person.
Does he or she actually feel regret for his/hers crimes.
What kind of crimes this person did.

Really, there is no simple answer. You CANNOT answer with "yes" or "no".

B

BioSonic

Justice is already too black and white as it is, every judgement should be on a case by case basis.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
I will just go with, whatever the law allows. I don't always agree with it, but that's what our society is based on, rules and laws. The only way to change them is to have enough money to buy that change. :(

holly

Forum Guru
Jul 2, 2008
[QUOTE="Sektor, post: 0]I think it depends on what they have done. You need to know each circumstance before you can really say.

Seconde lol[/quote]
This. It's a tough question to answer for everyone who has committed a crime.

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
Assuming you are really willing to make the most of it. I think everybody deserves a second chance or a third or a fourth and so on.

On the other hand, there are some situations that just don't give extra chances. Sometimes there isn't place for more than one mistake, or two or three and so on.

deepdown

Apprentice
Nov 12, 2008
No. Second chances are not a right, they are a privilege.
They are a gift from one to another. The receiver neither earns nor deserves it.

The only thing earned are punishments. In cases where the law is broken, punishments must be metted out. In cases of interpersonal relationships, punishments must be metted out also.

The vast majority (80%) of criminals go on to offend again. This concept of criminals stealing to eat is largely a myth. They do so because they are predators living off the honest labor of others, whether it is to feed an addiction, or to avoid honest labor. There are enough programs for free food, and living necessities out there both in the public arena and the private arena, that they do not NEED to steal to eat. They do it by choice. It is a conscience act that need punishing.

When one is given chance after chance they do not correct the damaging behavior.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="deepdown, post: 0]No. Second chances are not a right, they are a privilege.
They are a gift from one to another. The receiver neither earns nor deserves it.

The only thing earned are punishments. In cases where the law is broken, punishments must be metted out. In cases of interpersonal relationships, punishments must be metted out also.

The vast majority (80%) of criminals go on to offend again. This concept of criminals stealing to eat is largely a myth. They do so because they are predators living off the honest labor of others, whether it is to feed an addiction, or to avoid honest labor. There are enough programs for free food, and living necessities out there both in the public arena and the private arena, that they do not NEED to steal to eat. They do it by choice. It is a conscience act that need punishing.

When one is given chance after chance they do not correct the damaging behavior.[/quote]
great post... +rep

Xelis

Elite Sage
Jan 1, 2008
Giving a second chance is basically giving them another go at committing a crime without getting caught.

They made their decision when they committed the crime, they should live with the consequences.

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
I thought the criminal example was just an example. Anyway my opinion is based on second chances in general. Break ups, criminals, redo math tests etc.

deepdown

Apprentice
Nov 12, 2008
[QUOTE="MjW, post: 0]I thought the criminal example was just an example. Anyway my opinion is based on second chances in general. Break ups, criminals, redo math tests etc.[/quote]

My post still applies.

If one gives a second chance to a cheater, then what has the cheater lost as punishment.

If one fails a math test, then they should have studied harder, or gotten extra help. When they are given a second chance then what lesson has the flunkie learned to make them study harder.

For every action there is a consequence. The consequence renforces the action whether positive or negative.

It has been my experience that those asking/demanding second chances are the ones who most need the consequence.

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
[QUOTE="deepdown, post: 0]My post still applies.

If one gives a second chance to a cheater, then what has the cheater lost as punishment.

If one fails a math test, then they should have studied harder, or gotten extra help. When they are given a second chance then what lesson has the flunkie learned to make them study harder.

For every action there is a consequence. The consequence renforces the action whether positive or negative.

It has been my experience that those asking/demanding second chances are the ones who most need the consequence.[/quote]

Well yes, if one assumes everyone that needs a second chance is a cheater or a criminal, then yes. I agree with you that second chances are not candy to hand out, you got to earn them. And if you do earn a second chance and you are ready to make things better I don't see anything wrong with it.

But failing a school exam? Isn't the failure enough of a lesson? I mean, it's not like you fail a test and everybody is proud of you and life is awesome. There are plenty of consequences. Specially at a university.

I think we are having the same opinion more or less and we are just taking a different approach to express it.