Seen a 360 do this? No fire starting please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwitchBlade

Dedicated Member
Oct 18, 2006
www.myspace.com

Just fired up the xbox to play gears for a bit, and this happens. It's happened 3 times, haven't tried another game yet. Shouldn't be the games though since the disc is perfect. No red lights, just a frozen screen and a little static through the surround sound. If I just sit in the dashboard nothing appears to happen either...I've got a warranty at EB that expires next week, so I was about to trade it in anyway. Not a big deal, just haven't seen this particular issue posted before.

Bitbydeath

Power Member
Sep 10, 2005
[QUOTE="SwitchBlade, post: 0]It's working fine now.....weird. Still swapping it out tomorrow though, my store warranty runs out soon.[/quote]

Isn't it 3 years now anyways?

X

Xaor

Definitely the right move there SwitchBlade. Hopefully that one has a new heatsink :)

Get some kills in for luck!

@BitByDeath: Store Warranty runs out soon, Microsoft warranty doesn't. He can take it back and get it replaced tomorrow, but if he does it through MS it will take weeks.

P

PlayStation Fascination

My first 360 did that during GRAW. Turned it off the back on. Greeted with RRoD. Good move to swap it now.

Jan 15, 2007
MS wont touch that 360 now as it states in the 360 warranty...

:::360 warranty, Page 56 ,paragraph 1234:::

The 360 console at no time must be placed near or above pictures of large scary looking bunnies holding small babies, doing so will void all aspects of the 360 warranty and we, MS will have nothing else to do with your 360,so there, don't say your were not warned.....We hate bunnies at MS.......
So it looks like your stuck,
of course you could try taking it back to the shop....just don't mention the Bunnies...;)

SwitchBlade

Dedicated Member
Oct 18, 2006
www.myspace.com
[QUOTE="EncoreEncore, post: 0]MS wont touch that 360 now as it states in the 360 warranty...

So it looks like your stuck,
of course you could try taking it back to the shop....just don't mention the Bunnies...;)[/quote]

That's funny **** right there! :mrgreen:

Mich

Apprentice
Nov 24, 2005
I've seen that happen multiple times already with 360's. Seems like the GPU overheats due to the small heatsink that can't transfer the heat quickly enough thus resulting in those artifacts you see on your screen. Try to cool down the system, if it keeps happening, exchange it asap.

May 16, 2006
No doubt this is the one of the indicators that your GPU is loosing contact with the motherboard when the heat starts to build up. Use that EB Warranty ASAP.. Good luck

SwitchBlade

Dedicated Member
Oct 18, 2006
www.myspace.com
[QUOTE="Mich, post: 0]I've seen that happen multiple times already with 360's. Seems like the GPU overheats due to the small heatsink that can't transfer the heat quickly enough thus resulting in those artifacts you see on your screen. Try to cool down the system, if it keeps happening, exchange it asap.[/quote]

Well, you see it did it when the console had been shut off for about 12 hours or more. It had been on for about 5 minutes when I took that picture and it only did it when I tried to play a disk, never on the dashboard or playing any arcade games or videos. After I played bomberman for a few minutes I tried gears again, and it was good from then on. Weird.

Can anyone tell me where you check the manufacturing date on the 360? I want to make sure I get one with the new heatsink when I swap this one out!

garyfitz

Dedicated Member
Apr 3, 2006
www.play181.com
The date should be on the back of the console somewhere, on the sticker.

I had this problem too, and the problem only gets worse over time. The best thing to do is to get sorted right away, before more problems arise from it.

Jul 17, 2007
[QUOTE="SwitchBlade, post: 0]Well, you see it did it when the console had been shut off for about 12 hours or more. It had been on for about 5 minutes when I took that picture and it only did it when I tried to play a disk, never on the dashboard or playing any arcade games or videos. After I played bomberman for a few minutes I tried gears again, and it was good from then on. Weird.

Can anyone tell me where you check the manufacturing date on the 360? I want to make sure I get one with the new heatsink when I swap this one out![/quote]

I'd like to see the %ages on peoples 360's crapping out at the gears screen right there, thats when mine did it too.

Jul 26, 2007
Actually this problem is caused by the Ram chips not getting the full contact with the main board. The lines down the screen are a mixture of ram and GPU but can easily be fixed by extra pressure on the ram chips.

Jul 24, 2007
^^ yes it's true.

Buy the intercooler ASAP.

that was a joke btw...do not by the intercooler ASAP!

Just return it like you were thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.