Sega and Sony are working on a Sonic the Hedgehog movie

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006

Hajime Saito, the Sega Sammy Group’s Chief Executive Officer, announced a Sonic the Hedgehog movie when speaking to The World Folio. The company is working with Sony Pictures on the project.

Sega and Sony’s Sonic the Hedgehog movie would be a combination of CG animation and live-action footage. Further information is unavailable, though the project does have a 2018 release window.

The Sonic the Hedgehog series is celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2016.
Source

I like Sonic the Hedgehog ever since I've played Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast and, even though the series has been on rollercoaster when it comes to the quality of its games, I'm a little excited to see what the movie will be like. The last one that I remember watching was the animated movie from the late 90s with The Land of Darkness and Metal Sonic.

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
The SMB movie wasn't that bad IMO although I was a kid when it came out so maybe I'm wearing nostalgia goggles?

As someone who grew up with the original Sonic games, I think this is kind of ridiculous.

When Sonic was still relevant, I remember there was a Sonic animated series that actually wasn't too bad (from my perspective as a kid). A movie this far out from the height of Sonic popularity just doesn't make sense.

Why not Zelda or something? If in the right hands, they could make a 3 movie trilogy based on the Zelda games and it would almost certainly do better than Sonic. The Mass Effect and Bioshock series or Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion are others I could see converted to movies more so than Sonic.

There's at least 10 Sonic games I enjoy so I'm not bashing on the blue bastard. I just don't think he fits well into a modern CGI + live action movie. How about Sega finish Sonic 4 before they go making movies?! Generations wasn't bad but c'mon...it's like they ran out of ideas for him but don't mind cashing in on nostalgia. Even the 3DS store has Sonic available! lol :p

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
Fuck you Sony.
Fuck you Sega.

Sonic already got ruined enough in the past couple of years.
Thanks for telling us you'll about to make it worse.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6502717]Or super Mario brothers.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for reminding me that existed. -.-

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="Chewbacca, post: 6502718]The SMB movie wasn't that bad IMO although I was a kid when it came out so maybe I'm wearing nostalgia goggles?[/QUOTE]

I was 13 when it released. I remember not liking it and that's about it, can't remember much else about it.

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6502729]I was 13 when it released. I remember not liking it and that's about it, can't remember much else about it.[/QUOTE]

I was 7 years old, 4 months away from turning 8. lol So at that age I wasn't too picky! :p

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 6502713]Live-action footage? I hope this doesn't turn out like The Smurfs.[/QUOTE]

Oh this will absolutely turn out that way. You can bet on it. I think the only way this movie can succeed is if it's an R-rated comedy like Ted.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Okay, well, here's a question for my fellow Sonic fans: what kind of story would you like to see in a Sonic the Hedgehog movie, knowing it will combine CG animation and live-action footage?