Shadow of the Tomb Raider Digital Foundry Analysis (All Consoles)

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
Great technical Analysis.

Xbox One X delivers on 4K, PS4 Pro does great thanks to checkerboarding.
In performance mode, Xbox One X is hands down the choice.
On base consoles, PS4 is a clear winner.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I bought this on the Xbox One X as that is what I am starting to do with all multi plat games now. I have to say that I am disappointed in the amount of screen tearing in this game. Don't know if the Pro suffers from this as much, but the 1X shows a lot of tearing while playing. Rise of the Tomb Raider did not suffer from this and that game was full 4K on the 1X.

Sep 19, 2018
I bought this on the Xbox One X as that is what I am starting to do with all multi plat games now. I have to say that I am disappointed in the amount of screen tearing in this game. Don't know if the Pro suffers from this as much, but the 1X shows a lot of tearing while playing. Rise of the Tomb Raider did not suffer from this and that game was full 4K on the 1X.
I have a pc and ps4 pro both of them run the game smoothly. I didnt find or noitce any tearing or loss. Might have less optimisation on the xbox. Other than that i dont see a reason here.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
If you play on high resolution it does that but if you switch to high frame-rate mode it shouldn't; at-least it hasn't happened again to met (yet).
I don't want to play in 1080p though. If Rise of the Tomb Raider was able to run in true 4k without tearing, then there is no reason why Shadow can't run without tearing. And Shadow of the Tomb Raider is under 4K resolution.

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
I don't want to play in 1080p though. If Rise of the Tomb Raider was able to run in true 4k without tearing, then there is no reason why Shadow can't run without tearing. And Shadow of the Tomb Raider is under 4K resolution.
Hm, I didn't know it plays in 1080p when you select frame-rate mode but gotcha.

May 20, 2008
Dont know where you got that it isn’t 4K but the devs says it is. Regardless, it’s still the best version.

Last edited:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Dont know where you got that it isn’t 4K but the devs says it is. Regardless, it’s still the best version.
Digital Foundry already proved that is not a 4K resolution. Played more today and the screen tearing is so bad it is pissing me off.

May 20, 2008
Digital Foundry already proved that is not a 4K resolution. Played more today and the screen tearing is so bad it is pissing me off.
They didn’t say it wasn’t 4K resolution and they said the screen tearing is minor. I’m playing this game and it’s not nearly as bad as you make it seem. I could be wrong, but It seems like you are downplaying like you’ve done in the past when the game is better on the x. Is there anything positive about the game for you? Perhaps you should of just bought it on PS4 pro. The game looks awesome on that too but it’s the best on Xbox one x.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
They didn’t say it wasn’t 4K resolution and they said the screen tearing is minor. I’m playing this game and it’s not nearly as bad as you make it seem. I could be wrong, but It seems like you are downplaying like you’ve done in the past when the game is better on the x. Is there anything positive about the game for you? Perhaps you should of just bought it on PS4 pro. The game looks awesome on that too but it’s the best on Xbox one x.
Why the hell would I downplay it? The tearing is horrible. All if you followed anything I have ever said, you would see how much I praised Rise of the Tomb Raider on the 1X. If you like, I can record a video from my phone showing you how bad the tearing is. And my TV is a high end Samsung 4K 9 Series.

And Digital Foundry specifically says that the Xbox One X version of this game does not meet the same resolution as the previous title. I doubt you watched the video at all since you have no idea where I got that from........

Xbox One X version targets a 2016p resolution. Go to the 11:00 mark in the video.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2007
Canada, Toronto
www.youtube.com
Tomb Raider looks way better on the X With 4k UHD it looks incredible! Even me and my friend started comparing games between the X and Pro. The Xbox One X versions are way better with Assassin's Creed Origins, Tomb Raider both shadow and Rise, Gears Of War, and etc. I'm getting most of the up-coming on the X.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I agree that all the new games are looking very nice on the 1X. I went and pre-ordered Red Dead 2 on the 1X as well. My 1X has now become my main console. Until the PS5 drops that is. :)

PS4 still kicks ass with the better exclusives and PS VR

Aug 12, 2008
tyneside
Why the hell would I downplay it? The tearing is horrible. All if you followed anything I have ever said, you would see how much I praised Rise of the Tomb Raider on the 1X. If you like, I can record a video from my phone showing you how bad the tearing is. And my TV is a high end Samsung 4K 9 Series.

And Digital Foundry specifically says that the Xbox One X version of this game does not meet the same resolution as the previous title. I doubt you watched the video at all since you have no idea where I got that from........

Xbox One X version targets a 2016p resolution. Go to the 11:00 mark in the video.

so Digital Foundry once again says multi-plat games are better on X.

Aug 12, 2008
tyneside
just popped in after many months and i'm quite surprised at how Lethal appears to have gone all Sony fanboy since last i was here. sad really as he will never win an argument when trying to compare Pro with X.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
just popped in after many months and i'm quite surprised at how Lethal appears to have gone all Sony fanboy since last i was here. sad really as he will never win an argument when trying to compare Pro with X.
Then you clearly need to read everything again. Welcome to October by the way...

And what on earth makes you think I am comparing this game to anything on the Pro?? Read everything before you jump in an old thread.