Shelf life/availability of digital PSN games?

Grundberg

Apr 15, 2020
What is the shelf life/availability of digital games?
Will I always be able to retrieve it (i.e. if I had to re-download after reformatting my system) or is there a limited "shelf life"?

Can anyone explain how this works? Thanks in advance.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
aside from fcuking driveclub, which I can not download atm, I don't know why and fuck you sony for shitting on my 60 $, I don't know any.

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
What is the shelf life/availability of digital games?
Will I always be able to retrieve it (i.e. if I had to re-download after reformatting my system) or is there a limited "shelf life"?

Can anyone explain how this works? Thanks in advance.
There's of course no such thing as forever, and so I would say that for the full life-cycle of the console, and likely some time beyond, you will be able to re-download the game. However you can also back up 'Applications' on the PS4 to an external drive (which are cheap as chips nowadays) and keep them like that too.

Didn't know about Driveclub Shingo - I wonder what's going on there?!

$Greatness$

Master Poster
Sep 4, 2009
Baltimore, MD
aside from fcuking driveclub, which I can not download atm, I don't know why and fuck you sony for shitting on my 60 $, I don't know any.
Driveclub has been de-listed. So unless its in your PS4 library, its gone forever. Just like that big booty girl you met on a cruise ship. #feelsbadman

Grundberg

Apr 15, 2020
There's of course no such thing as forever, and so I would say that for the full life-cycle of the console, and likely some time beyond, you will be able to re-download the game. However you can also back up 'Applications' on the PS4 to an external drive (which are cheap as chips nowadays) and keep them like that too.
So, you're saying (basically a no-brainer) that I should get into the practice of backing up my applications/games also? Or there is that slight chance they won't be available from the "server" in the future. Just kinda wondering how/where/in what manner Sony stores our digitals and for how long...

Good to know. :)

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
The life-cycle of a digital online copy will never be in your control, like a physical copy is. All I can say is that backing them up is the only way to get back some of that control. There's no guarantee, or stated commitment from Sony, to keep online versions around forever.

Tomda

May 28, 2020
No guarantee indeed. Having them on HDD may help, noting better than games on CD (although check for lifespan of Cds :()

Note also that in some years (10 years?), it is possible that PS4 games will so outdated and bad that they will be freely available online, just like PS2 or PS3 rom nowadays.