Should 'Evolution' be taught at schools as science?

P

pendinginsanity

[QUOTE="HellsJester, post: 0]No because its not 100% proven.[/quote]
Wait a minute, how come we're taught religion in our school then?

T

TzarChasm

First off, evolution is either 100% proven or its 100% disproven, kind of like the speed limit is 100% 35mph or it's 100% not 35mph. Proven is a black or white state of being.

Evolution isn't even close to being proven as a scientific law. Period.

Despite the fact that I'm a Creationist I voted "not sure," rather than "no." Why? Because I'm of two opinions on the issue. One is that yeah, you can teach it, but the only responsible thing to do is to teach Creationism alongside it, since neither is any more "proven" or "disproven" than the other. If you're going to give your kids poison, at least give them access to the antidote, leave it up to them to drink it if they'd like.

The other view I take is that perhaps schools are the wrong realm for this subject entirely. I mean, either way you're teaching your children what is absolutely unprovable in a place they've been told since age six that they go to get smarter and learn things. So, why not remove the debate from schools entirely? Let parents educate or poison their children as they wish. Let churches and PBS and the good old Internet be where they seek their answers, since schools have proven to be a very jaded environment lacking in concrete truth. Either teach proven fact or teach nothing at all. Where facts seem to be lacking, do not tread.

Atheism is as much a religion as Christianity. If you're going to spit in my face and remove my faith from the classroom the least you can do is remove yours, too. No more blatant double-standards in censorship.

MrFenwick

Elite Sage
Feb 7, 2007
Tehachapi, CA
www.drippyink.com
Evolution? Meh, give me real proof and maybe I'll look at it.

In our Science books it really didn't say evolution or creation. It just kinda skimmed the borders of it and didn't get into much detail.

Growing up around(People are not born into a religion, people have to choose their religion based on the facts they receive and accept. Which no child could do until he/she became older. Same with baptism.) Christianity I can say that my life has been better then some people I grew up around.

But thats me.

Bitbydeath

Power Member
Sep 10, 2005
I voted yes but only because well hey if religion is going to be taught then why not have evolution, at least it's more realistic.

Offtopic: Nice Sig MrFenwick

P

pendinginsanity

[QUOTE="HellsJester, post: 0]What school are you going to?
Mine didnt.[/quote]
All schools in Denmark teaches Christianity and soon to come Islam.
I didn't personally meet up to the classes though, gave me a lot of illegal absence though.

Aug 22, 2006
Alone in the Cold
[QUOTE="pendinginsanity, post: 0]All schools in Denmark teaches Christianity and soon to come Islam.
I didn't personally meet up to the classes though, gave me a lot of illegal absence though.[/quote]

Damn that sucks.
I dont believe in religion or evolution.
Hell, i dont believe in anything. lol

Rynoboy

Mod In Training
May 9, 2007
[QUOTE="InfernoReaper, post: 0]They already teach about the evolution of animals, so why not humans?[/quote]
at my school they talked about all things havng to do with evolution

InfernoReaper

Superior Member
Jan 17, 2007
[QUOTE="Grifer, post: 0]This thread is pointless. Here's already similar thread about creationism. Go fight there.[/quote]

Well I'd much rather talk about evolution than creation. It's follows more with the whole atheism thing.