Should I buy a Vita?

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
I'm contemplating getting a vita but I want some input from you owners. I'm planning on getting one for light gaming. On breaks at work, waiting on the parking lot and rides home. I've always wanted one but do you guys feel that support is dropping too much and it's only a matter of time before it's abandoned. I just don't want spend 200 bucks on something that I will just be playing back log on.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
The Vita certainly has some good titles. If you are doing light gaming, then there is plenty of games that will keep you busy for a while.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6423160]The Vita certainly has some good titles. If you are doing light gaming, then there is plenty of games that will keep you busy for a while.[/QUOTE]

I haven't really been keeping up with announcements or lack thereof of I've noticed correctly during conferences but in your honest opinion do you think it's going to get the ax soon? Basically does it look like the support pipeline is all but closed or is it still doing healthy. I know very little about the vita world.

GazzaGSi

Elite Guru
May 9, 2007
The catalogue is pretty decent so you have a huge backlog to choose from but as for the future I'll soon be selling mine. I've been patient enough with it and the games I was expecting when I first bought it just aren't arriving.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
there are afew cool games for every genre, if you love Japanese style games then buy it back log is huge, will take months to eat even if you go harcore. Other genres are there, lots of good games, but if the current library doesn't interest you , don't expect some shiny thing to come up. It won't. Vita passed it's prime-time a few years ago.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
I have not touched my Vita in a little while but I must admit I am still glad I have one, it's just a shame that there are no major titles coming in the near future to keep the momentum going! Sony pretty much advertise it as a second screen/remote play device for the PS4 now which it does the job but not every game is easy to play on it due to the lack of R2 and L2 triggers!

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6423161]I haven't really been keeping up with announcements or lack thereof of I've noticed correctly during conferences but in your honest opinion do you think it's going to get the ax soon?[/QUOTE]

Nah. The Vita is still a great companion to the PS4 with remote play. The Vita also makes Sony a bit of money with PS One classics and PS Now. PS+ gives Vita gamers free games every month.

The Vita is a great device, and because it is such a great device, Sony will not give it the axe.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6423229]Nah. The Vita is still a great companion to the PS4 with remote play. The Vita also makes Sony a bit of money with PS One classics and PS Now. PS+ gives Vita gamers free games every month.

The Vita is a great device, and because it is such a great device, Sony will not give it the axe.[/QUOTE]

Well that's encouraging. It seemed to me like they are just half in on it. Like they want to keep it going but not use the resources to do it. But they are reasonably priced now so I'm seriously thinking about it.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6423239]Well that's encouraging. It seemed to me like they are just half in on it. Like they want to keep it going but not use the resources to do it. But they are reasonably priced now so I'm seriously thinking about it.[/QUOTE]

It's still extremely popular over in Japan so there must be something about it still, I would recommend a Vita even if you don't use it 24/7!

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
It is worth buying for the backlog of games that it already has. I no longer have a Vita, but I definitely got my money's worth out of it while I did.

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
If you don't mind playing Indie-titles and can definitely enjoy them, it's a good device for you. If you are certain you'll often use it for remote play with PS4, it's the device for you as well.

If you're not a big fan of indie-games nor use it a lot for remote play, then you have my situation.
I pre-ordered one because I was hoping for a PSP-like devices (as in the games line-up) but sadly enough it turned out to be more of an Indiestation Vita. It's not a bad device, not at all, I love it whenever I play with it, but personally I think there aren't much games out that use the full potential of the device nor do the current games show the full potential of it.

That's just my opinion, I barely play on it, but when I do I definitely enjoy it.

Jan 17, 2015
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6423158]I'm contemplating getting a vita but I want some input from you owners. I'm planning on getting one for light gaming. On breaks at work, waiting on the parking lot and rides home. I've always wanted one but do you guys feel that support is dropping too much and it's only a matter of time before it's abandoned. I just don't want spend 200 bucks on something that I will just be playing back log on.[/QUOTE]
Do it! I just bought one a couple weeks ago. It took me a little to decide that I really wanted one but I'm so glad I got it! There are many great puck up and play indies, ps 1 classics (ff7, xenogears, twisted metal, and tons more!), ps now for streaming games (still in beta), and ps plus for free games monthly! I suggest you buy a 32 gb or higher memory card if you plan on downloading games tho. They are pricey but so very worth it to me. Some of my favorite pick up and play games are hot shots golf, muramasa, and dangan ronpa (not really a pick up and go game but I can save anywhere in the game which is very nice. I don't regret getting it at all :)

Sir_Scud

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2007
Well, it's pretty awesome for light gaming. Huge backlog of older games and a pretty decent selection right now if you were to invest. The future may not be bright, but there's already a lot you could be playing and since it's for light gaming, I think you would enjoy it. These days I mainly use my Vita for remote play, but a little Rogue Legacy here and there. Generally I like to use my Vita to unwind.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Vita is well worth it despite if it doesn't have much of a future or not. Good exclusive JPRGs such as Persona 4 Golden(which is worth a Vita), Tales Of Hearts R and Ys:Memories Of Celceta also some good cross play games such as FFX/X-2 Remaster,Atelier series,Dragon's Crown and Disgaea.

Few good first party games and many other's so it has good quality games overall plus PS Classic's you can play on them and PS Now should launch soon too. I had my Vita for 5 months and had a lot of fun out of it so far.

Truly a underrated handheld.