Should I buy AC:U now or wait?

Jun 25, 2013
Amazon has this game for $30 today, and I was thinking of buying it, but that crap frame rate has put me off. I know the 4th patch released today that supposedly fixed this, but I haven't heard any concrete evidence that this is the case. Can anyone confirm the frame rate issue is gone?

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
Asked the same thing in the review thread for the same reason. Looks like the questions won't be answered for a while.

Patch 4 on Hold

Rigorous quality control is of paramount importance to us, and your feedback over these past weeks has indicated that it is important to you as well.

As stated last week, we’d expected to release the patch today (and we know that many are anticipating its release), but we are choosing to hold off until we can give you the improvements we’ve promised. We are committed to delivering major performance improvements, which requires that we refurbish the Paris map and that will take a few more days to hit the high level of quality our players deserve.

Thank you very much for your understanding and continued patience.

-The Live Update Team
Too bad they couldn't delay the game as easily as they delayed the patch. Laughable statement as well about "rigorous quality control".

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
Well PC wise it is still an unplayable mess though I can't comment on the PS4 version. Their "rigorous quality control" I swear is run by chimps, actually I think that's unfair on the chimps, they can do a better job than Ubisoft as of late.

Their patching also has completely wrong priorities, instead of fixing the actual game and making it work they seem to be concentrating on things that brings them money instead. Now Ubisoft we know the in-game F2P-like shop brings you money (which should not be in a game like this in the first place) but sort out your priorities and actually fix the game first so it can be played, you know, so people can actually have a reason to purchase things via this shop... why anyone would want to is beyond me anyway.

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
I recall their very first fix was the digital money stuff. Though to be fair, it was likely an easy fix and not sure it took away anything from actual bug fixing. Still I agree, pretty lame.

I might still jump at the $30 price tag today, despite the patch not hitting. I feel like otherwise I'll have the urge to buy it and have to resort to going full price.

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Sugar Land, TX
I haven't played AC:U in a couple weeks (been playing Dragon Age) but to be perfectly honest, I rarely had any framerate issues w/ the Day One patch on the PS4. I had some small noticeable framerate dips during very large crowd scenes. Note that these were nowhere near the level of framerate dip issues I've seen plastered all over Youtube land.

Those for me were infrequently noticed and barely a blip in the game, and for the most part disappeared from the game after the 2nd patch which came on something like day 3, but had mostly targeted some issues w/ falling through the world (which happened to me twice prior to the 2nd patch.)

It became rock solid after that, and I have put probably 40hrs into the game.

The biggest Issue I had was the online play would could get extremely laggy, both companion players and the AI, but I played enough of it to complete everything I wanted and left it behind. Note: I haven't played online since patch #2, patch #3 had a big focus on fixing the online play, I can't say how much it affected it since I haven't played online since patch #3 was added.

I don't necessarily see a reason not to go ahead and buy it now. I think you'll find that the framerate issue is few and far between, but if you do see it and it's being a real issue for you (everyone has different sensitivity levels to this, I'm not near as sensitive to frame rate issues as I am to anti-aliasing issue which the pre-day one patch had a sh!t load of but nobody seemed to complain about) you can set it aside and wait for the final patch. I doubt you're going to find it below $30 until well after the holidays and I'd expect the prices to go back above $30 when holiday sales are over.

You may want to go check out some gameplay on Youtube posted after say 11/25/14 for PS4 to make sure it's after the 2nd patch (not sure what date it was but that should be late enough) that doesn't have a primary focus of showing framerate issues of the game and see what your thoughts are.

Last edited:

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Sugar Land, TX
[QUOTE="Varsh, post: 6407950]Well PC wise it is still an unplayable mess though I can't comment on the PS4 version. Their "rigorous quality control" I swear is run by chimps, actually I think that's unfair on the chimps, they can do a better job than Ubisoft as of late.

Their patching also has completely wrong priorities, instead of fixing the actual game and making it work they seem to be concentrating on things that brings them money instead. Now Ubisoft we know the in-game F2P-like shop brings you money (which should not be in a game like this in the first place) but sort out your priorities and actually fix the game first so it can be played, you know, so people can actually have a reason to purchase things via this shop... why anyone would want to is beyond me anyway.[/QUOTE]

I think you really need to separate these two. The people who work on the uPlay purchases / Initiates stuff would be a totally separate team, and their focus is on the server side and for the most part not stuff going into the game patches (though there may be some small items that have to get integrated into the game patches as well.) All of the fixes that I am aware of for the uPlay economy side had no correlation to patches of the game, but were all server side fixes.

You can't simply through the server side guys at the game play problem as extra resources and expect anything to get done, that's not the way the real SW dev world works. It would be like through a bunch of bikini models in with engineers trying to fix an issue the engineers know well and since there's more people involved expecting them to get it done faster.

Instead you keep the people focused on the things they are experts on and resolve things in parallel.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
Taz you are clearly missing a point, you are talking like ubisoft is an organised software company , they clearly not. Altough they probably have seperate divisions as you suggested, the outcome clearly tell us they are not as organised as you mean to be. They fucked it up, that is clear. Even you and a few around here says the game is "almost perfect" , the reaction of the crowd tells the problems are still around.
I am not saying software side has absolute blame on this either, there is definitely huge problems on the management&marketing side. They lied every customer they have with watch dogs e3 video, and now this , AC:U fiasco, they bite on granite,2 times in first year of this gen. In any other industry, after this type of mistakes, you won't survive. Mobile phones, cars or white appliances etc... You name it. But somehow , ubi can still patch the in game money shit, and being proud like they are improving their half-made game after 1 month of release.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
They fixed the weird glitch with the stain glass window, which was my only real issue with the game.
Ive been playing it since launch, and think its fantastic, my only gripe is I don't have much time to play it.
I cant speak for the PS4 frame-rate though. Non of the other bugs etc are going to stop you enjoying it.

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
[QUOTE="Shingo, post: 6408001]http://kotaku.com/ubisoft-apologizes-for-assassins-creed-unity-with-free-1663768202[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of people in those comment sections mentioning how they didn't have issues with the game, and many more recommending those comments.

That's the same thing I've gathered from other sources. Some people are having major issues, others aren't. It's actually something pushing me to get the game despite not being able to gauge feedback from the patch. Even on these forums I've been told that Skyrim is unplayable after X amount of hours, though for me it plays the same as a new game does. At $30, it seems worth it to pick it up. I think that's about the same price you'll find places selling Black Flag, so I'm not expecting lower prices for Unity for a while.

GrandWazoo

Dedicated Member
Sep 24, 2007
[QUOTE="ttech10, post: 6407955]I recall their very first fix was the digital money stuff. Though to be fair, it was likely an easy fix and not sure it took away anything from actual bug fixing. Still I agree, pretty lame.

I might still jump at the $30 price tag today, despite the patch not hitting. I feel like otherwise I'll have the urge to buy it and have to resort to going full price.[/QUOTE]

If you think you will get it for sure regardless I agree with you. better t get it now when you know the price is low than to risk it going back up when you want it later.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
[QUOTE="ttech10, post: 6408012]There are plenty of people in those comment sections mentioning how they didn't have issues with the game, and many more recommending those comments.

That's the same thing I've gathered from other sources. Some people are having major issues, others aren't. It's actually something pushing me to get the game despite not being able to gauge feedback from the patch. Even on these forums I've been told that Skyrim is unplayable after X amount of hours, though for me it plays the same as a new game does. At $30, it seems worth it to pick it up. I think that's about the same price you'll find places selling Black Flag, so I'm not expecting lower prices for Unity for a while.[/QUOTE]

I am glad you also read the comments , there are tons of jokes on kotaku, what would be people reactions if the broken product was not a game but another thing? that is the real point I wanted to mean in here. Ubi failed hard with this game, even then accepted it, yet some users are still keep denying it just like even after 180 of MS on xbo , some guys still defending the first revealed policies.30$ for a 1 month old AAA game? sure nice deal, I am going to buy it after I finish DA:I and FC4. But AC:U is nowhere near an AAA standards. It's reviews also say the same type of comments all over the internet. Please don't ignore all of them, while you keeping a few positive comments as they are righteous.

And skyrim being unplayable because of a mission glitch, a prisoner related to story , can not be interacted, that was all and fixed in a day or so. Please don't compare those two, skyrim is a massive game ,mmo level content in a SP game.

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
I want to play it but having a bunch of games already, I'll wait. Hopefully they will sort most of it in the coming months.

Venger

Forum Elder
Jun 16, 2005
I finished the game, didn't encounter anything I would consider game breaking. Even the rare slow down tends not to happen in combat or on missions, it mostly happens when you are running past a big crowd. Even the few minor glitches I encountered all pretty much went away after a couple patches. My biggest complaints came from comparing it to Black Flag which I mostly found more fun to play.

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
[QUOTE="TAZ427, post: 6407966]I think you really need to separate these two. The people who work on the uPlay purchases / Initiates stuff would be a totally separate team, and their focus is on the server side and for the most part not stuff going into the game patches (though there may be some small items that have to get integrated into the game patches as well.) All of the fixes that I am aware of for the uPlay economy side had no correlation to patches of the game, but were all server side fixes.

You can't simply through the server side guys at the game play problem as extra resources and expect anything to get done, that's not the way the real SW dev world works. It would be like through a bunch of bikini models in with engineers trying to fix an issue the engineers know well and since there's more people involved expecting them to get it done faster.

Instead you keep the people focused on the things they are experts on and resolve things in parallel.[/QUOTE]

You make it sound like I don't know how the industry works, I know exactly how the industry works because I work as a Games Designer in it. Ubisoft however I swear are the exception and don't know where their priorities stand.

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
[QUOTE="Shingo, post: 6408104]I am glad you also read the comments , there are tons of jokes on kotaku, what would be people reactions if the broken product was not a game but another thing? that is the real point I wanted to mean in here. Ubi failed hard with this game, even then accepted it, yet some users are still keep denying it just like even after 180 of MS on xbo , some guys still defending the first revealed policies.30$ for a 1 month old AAA game? sure nice deal, I am going to buy it after I finish DA:I and FC4. But AC:U is nowhere near an AAA standards. It's reviews also say the same type of comments all over the internet. Please don't ignore all of them, while you keeping a few positive comments as they are righteous.

And skyrim being unplayable because of a mission glitch, a prisoner related to story , can not be interacted, that was all and fixed in a day or so. Please don't compare those two, skyrim is a massive game ,mmo level content in a SP game.[/QUOTE]

With Skyrim, I was talking about the issue some encounter where after X amount of hours the framerate is at the point where it's more of a slideshow than a game. Some people still encountered that issue after the patches, where for me it didn't exist.

And I'm not denying Unity has issues. That's why I wouldn't buy it at full price and I've criticized it heavily. But the fact is that plenty of people have played the game with no more than the occasional framerate issue and it's no secret that negative reviews are more prevalent than positive ones. I myself am guilty of that. If I looked at only reviews, there are numerous PC components I wouldn't have bought that I've had zero issue with. None of those products I've gone and gave a good review. So yea, I'm not ignoring the negative reviews. I just understand how reviews work to not take the ratio of reviews as a true representation.

Of course, I still will look at reviews, that's why I commented on here and asked for feedback in the review thread. But I'd also much rather here about the thoughts from people here than those on Kotaku, GAF or other sites with random users. And a fair amount of people here are admitting to the game having issues, but it's nowhere near the levels that others are saying. I don't think it's fair to say they are just defending the game, ignoring that they simply had a different experience than you had.

About if other things were sold with issues, look at GM. People have died from buying their defective vehicles and people continue to buy their vehicles or use ones that may be defective. Microsoft with the 360 sold a product they knew had issues and people still bought the console during the issue and afterwards. WD was selling bad batches of hard drives and people were still buying them. Scotts MiracleGro sold known poisoned bird seed for two years before they got caught. People still buy their stuff.

So there's not that much of a difference between this Unity issue and others. People know that not all GM vehicles will kill them. They know some 360s were going to work fine. That not all hard drives were going to die or not work. Or that not everything Scotts sells is going to be unsafe. And with Unity, I know that just because there are people with major issues, that it doesn't mean everyone does. Not to mention that many issues in games can be subjective. I didn't notice the framerate issue in last-gen GTA:V but others did.

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Sugar Land, TX
The biggest problem I have are the people who blast the game and Ubi the most are lead by a lot of people who haven't even played the game.

I've given my honest opinion on the matter as someone who has played the game at launch and for the first couple weeks after. I've stated where I've observed issues in the game and where I've observed that they appear to have been fixed by existing patches.

I've also tried to explain why the slanderous comments regarding 'Ubi's prioritizing the uPlay pay machine over fixing the game' type comments are simply BS comments. They may be made with the best intentions by people who have little to no knowledge in the area of SW development and so I, as someone with many years of experience, try to indicate why there are separate resources and they comments saying pointing out that Ubi focused on these money makers first as being proof that they're nothing but money grubbers is simply BS.

Should Ubi have held the game longer to clean this stuff up, sure, and they're more than paying the price now IMHO. Have they reacted with good faith after the bad decision. Yes, and I believe the game is much better than a 74 that it has on Metacritic after Patch #2, but that a 74 was a fair grading for what it was at launch. This is far from the major malignment done by the haters IMHO.

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
[QUOTE="TAZ427, post: 6408255]The biggest problem I have are the people who blast the game and Ubi the most are lead by a lot of people who haven't even played the game.
[/QUOTE]
Pretty much this. If you played it and didn't like it, you have a valid complaint. But those stoking the fires when they haven't even seen the actual fire, are just symptomatic of gamers.

And even then, even though there are issues, these same people just parrot what they here and make it sound like you can't move or even play the game. Or make it sound like a missing face is the worst thing to happen in game ever.

I'm sorry I don't get being worked up over every little minute, trivial, not gonna matter (even in the context of gaming) issue. Sorry that I can't get as strung up as some. :roll:

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
[QUOTE="Admartian, post: 6408296]Pretty much this. If you played it and didn't like it, you have a valid complaint. But those stoking the fires when they haven't even seen the actual fire, are just symptomatic of gamers.

And even then, even though there are issues, these same people just parrot what they here and make it sound like you can't move or even play the game. Or make it sound like a missing face is the worst thing to happen in game ever.

I'm sorry I don't get being worked up over every little minute, trivial, not gonna matter (even in the context of gaming) issue. Sorry that I can't get as strung up as some. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Considering that I own it on PC and it is still unplayable after many patches I can certainly say that my qualms are genuine and not unwarranted. And when I mean unplayable I'm talking about crashing to desktop frquently, still getting missing body parts, invisible walls and ledges, and plenty more. The PS4 version might be different and I did say that beforehand, but on PC it is 100% unplayable.

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
[QUOTE="Varsh, post: 6408308]Considering that I own it on PC and it is still unplayable after many patches I can certainly say that my qualms are genuine and not unwarranted. And when I mean unplayable I'm talking about crashing to desktop frquently, still getting missing body parts, invisible walls and ledges, and plenty more. The PS4 version might be different and I did say that beforehand, but on PC it is 100% unplayable.[/QUOTE]
Sure. But like I said, if you've tried it and got qualms, then that's fine.

I never said that no qualms were warranted. I only said that gamers tend to overreact like they do, whether they are warranted or not.

And sadly, many gamers do just love to jump on a bandwagon; whether they've seen the issue and./or whether the issue even matches the drapes - so to speak.

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE="N0REGARD4LIFE, post: 6407927]Amazon has this game for $30 today, and I was thinking of buying it, but that crap frame rate has put me off. I know the 4th patch released today that supposedly fixed this, but I haven't heard any concrete evidence that this is the case. Can anyone confirm the frame rate issue is gone?[/QUOTE]
but it for $30 if you really want the game. if it's not good, sell it and get most of your money back. if it's good then keep it.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Omar, post: 6408313]but it for $30 if you really want the game. if it's not good, sell it and get most of your money back. if it's good then keep it.[/QUOTE]

But it? I'm all for violence in video games, not sure about violence on video games.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Omar, post: 6408322]i'm sorry, i meant to say, butt$#@! it for $30. apologies.[/QUOTE]

Sex in video games....sheeshhh