Should I Send in my PS5 Due to Coil Whine?

dkdrift3

Feb 14, 2021
Hello,
I recently found out my console has coil whine. It happens only when playing PS5 games, but not PS4 games regardless of whether I have a disc in. I even checked around the fan is there was anything blocking it. I bought the PS5 back in November and it has been very quiet, but recently I found out it now has a "problem". I know it is normal, but I do not want to get a headache every time I play a game. Also, if I send it in, there is a chance I might get one with worst whine. I have to make the decision on whether I should just live with it or send it in and get another one?
If anyone else if experiencing this, please let me know of your thoughts and what I should do.
Thank you

Sep 10, 2005
Not sure how loud it is in reality but from the video it seems loud....Did you record it with your cell phone?I want to do the same to mine and see the differences.To have a better understanding how it is in real life.What game did you use for testing i only have AC Valhalla and Astro bot.

Ok i just did a test,i can also hear it when im very close to the system,like 30cm away from it...with my TV muted in order to listen.if i record it its louder then reality.And if i go like 1 meter away i cannot hear a thing....Tested with astro bot.
Also are you sure its coil whine?Because i remember that people were saying that a sticker that is very inside where the fan is became loose from the heat.This might be the pulpit for the noise.Before you come to a decision check this one too.You can search online for this.

Last edited:

dkdrift3

Feb 14, 2021
Not sure how loud it is in reality but from the video it seems loud....Did you record it with your cell phone?I want to do the same to mine and see the differences.To have a better understanding how it is in real life.What game did you use for testing i only have AC Valhalla and Astro bot.

Ok i just did a test,i can also hear it when im very close to the system,like 30cm away from it...with my TV muted in order to listen.if i record it its louder then reality.And if i go like 1 meter away i cannot hear a thing....Tested with astro bot.
Also are you sure its coil whine?Because i remember that people were saying that a sticker that is very inside where the fan is became loose from the heat.And this is what usually is the pulpit for the noise.You can check that too before you come to a decision.Search for it online.
Yes, I did record it from my phone. Sorry it's not the best but it's what I got. Ya, the whine can be heard from far away when the room is silent. I tested it with SM Remastered on Performance mode. And I checked to see if there was a sticker and I saw nothing. I looked it up online and it most likely the PSU.

Sep 10, 2005
Yes, I did record it from my phone. Sorry it's not the best but it's what I got. Ya, the whine can be heard from far away when the room is silent. I tested it with SM Remastered on Performance mode. And I checked to see if there was a sticker and I saw nothing. I looked it up online and it most likely the PSU.

Just to be sure,to check for the sticker you need to remove the fan from what i remember,since its inside.Truth is tho,how many times you will be in a complete silent room in order to hear it.When you play games it will be covered,except if its really loud.

dkdrift3

Feb 14, 2021
Just to be sure,to check for the sticker you need to remove the fan from what i remember,since its inside.Truth is tho,how many times you will be in a complete silent room in order to hear it.When you play games it will be covered,except if its really loud.
Yes, I did remove the fan and saw nothing. And I will always be in a silent room, so I can easily hear the whine

Sep 10, 2005
Well I mean if I have the volume on high, it will cover it, but otherwise it matches the game audio.
I muted my TV again and i can hear a diffference from my usual gaming position.Its not loud but there is a difference the game sound will cover that really easy tho...(this is why i never noticed it before) And truth is i only head it cause i was searching for it.Not sure what to tell you mine is not much...If yours is loud enough that even normal game audio wont cover it then exchange it.

dkdrift3

Feb 14, 2021
I muted my TV again and i can hear a diffference from my usual gaming position.Its not loud but there is a difference the game sound will cover that different really easy tho...And truth is i only head it cause i was searching for it.Not sure what to tell you mine is not much...If yours is loud enough that even normal game audio wont cover it then exchange it.
Ya that is the difference, I am not searching for it and still hear it. It's normal to have it but it should be silent where the only way to hear it is putting your ear next to the console. Not from 8 feet away

Sep 10, 2005
Exchange it then if its audible and cant be covered with normal gameplay volume.With a low volume of 10 on my Tv that is on the very low side....its not audible at all.