Should Sony put more effort into backing LBP?

cruzader

Dedicated Member
Dec 28, 2006
Considering the hype and the mainly positive response from the community, should Sony actually look into pushing Little Big Planet as a system seller?

Much like Nintendo's initial appeal with Wii Sports, gamers outside of the usual PS3 spectrum are getting wind of this upcoming title, and are actually intrigued. It wouldn't be farfetched to assume LBP becoming more of a pop-culture icon (there's already a demand for sackboy stuffed animals...)

So, the simple question comes to mind, should Sony actually put more effort into backing LBP?
It's not a established franchise, so the casual consumer wouldn't know much about it. Yet, simply showing more ads showing its unique gameplay, i think, will surely stir up tons of buzz.

The reason I bring this up, is because I'm starting to see sackboy in more places outside of gaming (such as design websites) and I just thought I'd raise a few questions for discussion.

PS: Could sackboy become the new mascot of Sony gaming (the PS3)?

lintama

Superior Member
Oct 28, 2007
Yes, yes, and more yes. Casual, quirky, and family friendly seems to be selling systems so far. Push LBP like Heroin in a schhol yard if you ask me. Hard, fast, and the first ones free(demo).

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
If they could get SackBoy plushies into toy stores i'd be happy. Then people who don't even know about gaming can buy it on a whim and see what it's all about.

The SackBoy alone has a great selling point due to it's ultra cuteness.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
More effort? They are painting whole buildings with Sackboy images and hyping the death out of this game. How could they do more? And do remember that the release is still over two months away, so there's no reason to bring up the big(gest) guns just yet. Come October, I'm guessing Sackboys will invade the earth, or something.

the_End

Master Guru
Jul 30, 2007
[QUOTE="Azu, post: 0]More effort? They are painting whole buildings with Sackboy images and hyping the death out of this game. How could they do more? And do remember that the release is still over two months away, so there's no reason to bring up the big(gest) guns just yet. Come October, I'm guessing Sackboys will invade the earth, or something.[/quote]

They are? Because by me there is absolutely nothing. Only way you would even know about this game is if you walk into a game store to see it's pre-order box on the shelf.

cruzader

Dedicated Member
Dec 28, 2006
[QUOTE="Azu, post: 0]More effort? They are painting whole buildings with Sackboy images and hyping the death out of this game. How could they do more? And do remember that the release is still over two months away, so there's no reason to bring up the big(gest) guns just yet. Come October, I'm guessing Sackboys will invade the earth, or something.[/quote]

Well, hype doesn't always translate into greater exposure.
Though, it is kinda' early to tell. I still think Sony could do more, because I sure as heck would. Maybe bring back the 20GB PS3 with LBP in a bundle at a cheap price=general consumer just became more interested....

Feb 23, 2008
I dont think sony needs to back it anymore
Every single person on the boards i go to talk about it, even in the ps3 sections of xbox forums

Im sure some commercials will pop up also
Despite how good the game really is i think its going to sell very very well it has alot of hype

Jul 10, 2008
I've already seen a ton of advertisements on TV... Just last night while I was watching the baseball game, a Sony commercial involving Gran Turismo, LBP and MGS came up about 5 times. Last time I remembered seeing Sony commercials was the release of Heavenly Sword.

Selo

Apprentice
Jun 28, 2007
its too early for LBP only tv adverts yet. and theyre planning on loads of adverts for the game. they covered an apartment block in germany with a sackboy and in america they plan to stick signs in the ground with lights and stuff.

give them time. theres still about 2 months to go until release and if they start doing too much too early the general public will get bored of waiting for it

papaw

Superior Member
Sep 15, 2007
WV
[QUOTE="mickice, post: 0]If they could get SackBoy plushies into toy stores i'd be happy. Then people who don't even know about gaming can buy it on a whim and see what it's all about.

The SackBoy alone has a great selling point due to it's ultra cuteness.[/quote]
That's a good sales point. :rolleyes: They could sale like Beanie Babie did, everyone wanted one. ;)

awesomemans

Superior Member
Jun 7, 2008
Woah woah woah, they aren't pushing it as a system seller? Are you sure?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uToBarLr_U"]YouTube - Sony E3 2008 LBP "Presentation"[/ame]
E3 says otherwise. They are pushing it a lot. I have seen so many ads on the internet for this game, it's ridiculous.

P.S. LBP is doing good, but for any game to become a mascot of anything, it has to be as big as Halo 3 and Mario, and to me the only game that has accomplished that is MGS4.

PS3fan15

Forum Elder
Oct 10, 2006
[QUOTE="cruzader, post: 0]Considering the hype and the mainly positive response from the community, should Sony actually look into pushing Little Big Planet as a system seller?

Much like Nintendo's initial appeal with Wii Sports, gamers outside of the usual PS3 spectrum are getting wind of this upcoming title, and are actually intrigued. It wouldn't be farfetched to assume LBP becoming more of a pop-culture icon (there's already a demand for sackboy stuffed animals...)

So, the simple question comes to mind, should Sony actually put more effort into backing LBP?
It's not a established franchise, so the casual consumer wouldn't know much about it. Yet, simply showing more ads showing its unique gameplay, i think, will surely stir up tons of buzz.

The reason I bring this up, is because I'm starting to see sackboy in more places outside of gaming (such as design websites) and I just thought I'd raise a few questions for discussion.

PS: Could sackboy become the new mascot of Sony gaming (the PS3)?[/quote]

that's exactly what sony are thinking and doing.. If you haven't been here lately, Sony is marketing the hell out of LBP, more then any other game..

And they are trying to make it their mascot.

Jun 13, 2008
The article has been posted before but someone mentioned and someone else asked about the building I think.. But yeah.. It's great marketing ^^

Leipzig Games Convention is only a few days away now, and Sony is making sure that their PS3 headliner, LittleBigPlanet, is the talk of the town. In fact, they've plastered a nearby building in the German town with the adorable characters of this PS3 exclusive. This massive display would be an eyesore if it were anything else -- but it's unlikely anyone with a heart would be able to resist the charm of the rainbow assortment of Sackboy and his pals.
Source

I think they're already putting a lot of attention on LBP and it's still two months away. I can't even begin to imagine the marketing campaign on the last month before release.

Labiiiil

Dedicated Member
Mar 28, 2008
Well i heard they have a massive campaign running in the US. Would love to see more LBP advertising in the UK and also other ps3 titles.

javelinpr

Superior Member
Jan 21, 2008
lbp its still a couple months away. i think so far they have done their job. the game is currently running on the videos stores(like sears) show on their tvs. My wife says the kids go mad crazy when they see LBP on the tvs.

the video ive seen is the one with the pirate ship.

Jan 29, 2007
They are doing some great preliminary advertising right now. Most of the it won't kick into high gear till October, a few weeks before it releases.

Btw, they have actually been advertising this game all summer with that new PS3 campaign showing LBP, MGS4, and GT5P. It's also been shown in other campaigns before that as well.

Its just that they won't be doing a ton of stuff solely about that game till closer to release.

A

AkumaMax

If sony decided to push it as a system seller I think it would do well. If the videos show the gameplay to be like how the realy game is then it would be stupid for them not to. I'm not one for cute cuddly games but LBP looks badass. If I didn't have a PS3 and I saw that sony had a LBP package I would totally get it hands down. LBP is a game for all ages and I feel that this will be a big step for sony on getting more kids under the age of 12 to switch from the wii to the PS3.

A

AkumaMax

[QUOTE="godofspeed, post: 0]TV ads...making a sackboy toy....put big ads at famous places....and it's gonna be real famous. :D[/quote]
The sackboy toy is something I would love to have. Especially if they come out with the Dinosaur one and the killzone one. I would love to have those chilling in my car.:DD

A

AkumaMax

First step for them would to have a commercial. LOL I think we should make or find a picture of LBP and post it around our cities to make the hype even more just like those guys did for Aqua teen hunger force.

Macka3

Superior Member
Dec 9, 2007
Naw, I reckon they should concentrate on bigger games if you like.. ie Resistance 2 And Killzone 2. But thats just my opinion, i feel LBP has already had the limelight and has persuaded alot of people including me too buy it. :)

tgf5

Dedicated Member
Sep 10, 2007
[QUOTE="the_End, post: 0]They are? Because by me there is absolutely nothing. Only way you would even know about this game is if you walk into a game store to see it's pre-order box on the shelf.[/quote]

And games like Halo were sold outside of Games and Electronic stores too right? Where else would you advertise aside from TV and gaming/electronic stores??

May 27, 2008
i really hope that they do Tv commercials soon because it would be really cool for me just to see it on tv and it would be a good marketing boost

A

AkumaMax

[QUOTE="Por2geezGuy, post: 0]i really hope that they do Tv commercials soon because it would be really cool for me just to see it on tv and it would be a good marketing boost[/quote]

Exactly. Also parents and their kids will watch and see that cute little green dinosaur and make them want it.

Clover09

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2007
I think Sony should push sackboy because I think if they released various LBP sackboy plushies, they could be this generations teeny tiny.