Sidequests in Games

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
I want to give a shoutout to Shingo for getting my brain running on this:
[QUOTE="Shingo, post: 0]Aside from that, sidequests are not my type I am a few hours away from the platinium but probably gonna give up on it.[/QUOTE]

This has been a topic that has seem to be more and more important as the years go by. When I originally read Shingo's comment, I started to think why that may have been the case. Then I thought about it. A majority of the side quests in the game we were discussing were pure fetch quests or go kill a certain target. Both types are completely fine to have in a game, but it's important that they all don't feel the same to the player. A lot of things can really help break that up some. For example, a sidequest could provide some lore of something or even backstory. Perhaps a sidequest is necessary to continue forward in a game. Maybe a sidequest will improve something of value such as transportation, which would make traveling easier. Perhaps a good number of games have gone in a direction that feels less inspiring due to restrictions with time, budget, and/or trying to meet the quantity quota of content for a title. Again, it's okay to have the simple fetch or kill quests, but there should be a good number of higher quality ones as well to help break things up (e.g. something to help enhance the experience). Do you feel this will continue to be a trend? How would you personally go about addressing the topic? I've love to know what you all think toward it, or maybe I'm just trying to start a convo in vain. #FeelsBadMan

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I do like these type of closer look threads concerning games.

Anyways, certain sidequests can be addicting in games like Final Fantasy XII where you find and kill certain monsters though I have to say I vastly prefer story-based sidequests of which my favorite game, Skies of Arcadia Legends, does it in an interesting way: mixing a series of fetch quests with a newly-added boss battle that ends up explaining a past encounter with Vyse and Aika.

VayMasters86

Dedicated Member
Sep 13, 2007
I'm mixed. I do like to have some sidequests, but at some point, there are just too many. I would much prefer for developers to put that effort (and date) into developing side quest more like side stories that really lend to the lore of the world, or better yet, to existing characters.