Sixth Form

shcndw

Dedicated Member
Oct 29, 2006
I just got accepted into Sixth Form. Yippeeeee. :eek:

The subjects I'm doing are: Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Further Mathematics.

I would love it if someone can give me some advice regarding the different subjects I took. What issues would I encounter? How would I counter these issues? Would I have time to do the stuff I enjoy? etc,.

My sister keeps going on about how hard Sixth Form is and she's made me pretty nervous. Could anyone also explain the general feeling of being a student in Sixth Form, I'll really appreciate it.

Cheers.

Zoibie

Supreme Veteran
Jun 18, 2006
I'm doing Maths, Physics, Politics and I dropped German at the start of the year so I have to take something else up next year (probably further maths)

I think the Science/Maths based subject take the least amount of time, compared with humanities there is relatively little to actually learn. There is a quite a bit of Physics which is just maths and is fairly simple 'use this info and this equation to find this.'

Seb3sixn9ne

Superior Member
Dec 10, 2007
[QUOTE="Kyaw, post: 0]Can someone explain to me what is sixth form?[/quote]

Same... I have never heard that term. I'm mostly curious because I would like to know what level of Math you'd be taking.

Zoibie

Supreme Veteran
Jun 18, 2006
[QUOTE="Kyaw, post: 0]Can someone explain to me what is sixth form?[/quote]

It's what most schools offer after GCSE. You stay on for 2 years to get A levels (as opposed to colleges which would usually offer diplomas.) It's essentially an extra 2 years of school leading onto Universty.

Super_Lilith

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2006
I actually did the exact same subjects except for further maths, I just did normal maths A level.

I think if you do well like all A's then you don't really "have" to drop one unless you think the workload is too much.

Maths is just about practice and getting your mind in the zone. The teachers were not so good and I used those green books. But If you take your time to work through and don't leave things to the last minute I don't think maths should be difficult.

Biology for me was just about cramming as much stuff as I could, potential problems could be coursework or practical, but the exams is just about cramming as much info as you can.

Physics is easier if you dicide to choose the mechanics modules for maths because you are pretty much revising cross-over topics. What makes physics hard is that its a combination of infomation cramming and course work and calculations.

Chemistry. Now this I found the hardest, its the same problems as physics but I just found it harder. The calculations and knowing all the formulas and results when certain molecules and atoms bond and this and that was very hard.

The main difficulty with these subjects is that there is no way to BS your way through. You can't hide behind a smoke screen of good writing, the answers are either right or wrong.

This means you really have to start revising moderately early, say a month at least before the exams.

The good thing about these subjects being so exact is that there seems to be a pattern in the exam questions so there is only so much they can ask you. Therefore do lots and lots of past papers and know what they want from you to get the marks.

Anyways good luck, hope you do well.

Kyaw

Master Sage
Jul 30, 2008
[QUOTE="Zoibie, post: 0]It's what most schools offer after GCSE. You stay on for 2 years to get A levels (as opposed to colleges which would usually offer diplomas.) It's essentially an extra 2 years of school leading onto Universty.[/quote]

So no college?
Also is that good for your CV and jobs later on?

[QUOTE="Kyaw, post: 0]So no college?
Also is that good for your CV and jobs later on?[/quote]

It's better than college, probably due to the quality of the teaching and available help. It'll look the same on your CV if you get the same grades, but the chances are you'll get better help at 6th form and better grades.

If you want to go to uni it'll look better though.

[QUOTE="Kyaw, post: 0]My sister keeps going on about how hard Sixth Form is and she's made me pretty nervous. Could anyone also explain the general feeling of being a student in Sixth Form, I'll really appreciate it.

Cheers.[/quote]

I think the major thing you'll notice is people being a lot more independent and mature. There won't be homework like GCSE's, they'll set you work but ultimately it's your choice to do it and how much effort and extra time you put into that work.

No more completing work just for the sake of it, I could easily get away with that in GCSE's but 6th form it'll equal a low grade. My weeks at 6th form was good, some days I'd have 2 hours of lessons, some days 5 and some days none. This time is meant to be spent studying in a designated study room with all the other students. You can mingle with others doing the same piece of work as you and swap ideas or you can laze about and chat with people. It's good because it's your decision what you do, and the more time you put in the more you'll get out.

Times when we had 3 hours free over a lunch period we'd all group up and head to the shop, go for a car ride or laze around in the sun. It's good stuff but the work is really hard, and the rules will vary. You're doing some hard subjects there you'll probably end up dropping one, if you spend all your school day studying when you have free periods then do some extra studying at home then you'll get along fine.

The reason why most people find it hard is because there's a temptation to do 2 hours of work then spend the remainder of the day messing around, going home and leaving work till next day. :snicker

Treefrog

Super Elite
May 15, 2006
Driffield, UK
Ahhhh 6th Form, the worst year of my academic life.

I took Maths, Chemistry, Physics and ICT. Took those early exams in February....U'd em all. Ohhhh how awesome. I was the 2nd to worst student that year.

So during Easter I applied for Electronics at College. Round 2 of A levels came, I knew instanly I had failed them. So I took the offer to college.

I'm now top of the class, and will be doing a Masters in Electronics at University in September.

Just a little motivational story there, just in case all goes down the loo. Like it did to me.

Jan 31, 2007
Northern Ireland
Didn't do any of those subjects through A-Level..though I only did 3 from the get go.

Don't let you sister scare you about 6th form. It is the BEST part of your entire time at school..trust me !!

shcndw

Dedicated Member
Oct 29, 2006
Thanks for the guidance. I chose those subjects because I enjoy them. I don't really want to do a subject I won't enjoy. I'd also like to get into Medicine so hopefully those subjects would fit in the Medical criteria.

My main problem at the moment is motivation. Sometimes I lack it, sometimes I'm abundant with it; it's never balanced. I usually lack motivation when it comes near the exams, I just won't be bothered to go and revise which really annoys me. Would I still be like this in Sixth Form or would I need a kick up the arse from somewhere to do some work?

[QUOTE="shcndw, post: 0]Thanks for the guidance. I chose those subjects because I enjoy them. I don't really want to do a subject I won't enjoy. I'd also like to get into Medicine so hopefully those subjects would fit in the Medical criteria.

My main problem at the moment is motivation. Sometimes I lack it, sometimes I'm abundant with it; it's never balanced. I usually lack motivation when it comes near the exams, I just won't be bothered to go and revise which really annoys me. Would I still be like this in Sixth Form or would I need a kick up the arse from somewhere to do some work?[/quote]

They're really good subjects to do, it'll get you far.

Yeah you need a kick up the bum... I was so bad during GCSE's nobody knew how I passed them, neither did I, so when I went to 6th form I was kind of worrying. But the teachers piled on the pressure and kept mentioning what work we should be doing how many hours etc. Kind of scared me, I only done half of what they said but it was double the amount I expected so just try to put as much time as you can into it.

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
For those that don't know:

Nursury School - Years 1-2
Primary School - Years 3-6
Secondary School - Years 7-13
University - Year 14+

College is basically anything to do with GCSE's and A Levels, most courses are a culmination of subjects that eventually end up as a BTEQ (3 A level equivalent), GNVQ (5 GCSE equivalent), and so on. Also in Secondary School we tend to speak in 1st -5th year, where the 4th and 5th year are the GCSEs, and Lower/Upper 6th are the two years for A levels.

[QUOTE="Treefrog, post: 0]Ahhhh 6th Form, the worst year of my academic life.

I took Maths, Chemistry, Physics and ICT. Took those early exams in February....U'd em all. Ohhhh how awesome. I was the 2nd to worst student that year.

So during Easter I applied for Electronics at College. Round 2 of A levels came, I knew instanly I had failed them. So I took the offer to college.

I'm now top of the class, and will be doing a Masters in Electronics at University in September.

Just a little motivational story there, just in case all goes down the loo. Like it did to me.[/quote]

Similar thing happened to me but with GCSE's. I was a bit of a rebel and handed no coursework in. Got an A* in Art, C in Physics, Chemistry, and Maths, and the rest D's (looking back now I would've got straight A's, ugh!). Couldn't get to do the A levels I wanted to do so I went to college to do a BTEQ Nat Dip Computer Studies, got a high distinction, got to Uni and got a BSc in Interactive Entertainment Tech, and now I've just finished an MSc in Games Design.

Without all the screw ups in the past, I wouldn't have got to where I am now qualification wise.

smiggy

Forum Sage
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
[QUOTE="shcndw, post: 0]I just got accepted into Sixth Form. Yippeeeee. :eek:

The subjects I'm doing are: Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Further Mathematics.

I would love it if someone can give me some advice regarding the different subjects I took. What issues would I encounter? How would I counter these issues? Would I have time to do the stuff I enjoy? etc,.

My sister keeps going on about how hard Sixth Form is and she's made me pretty nervous. Could anyone also explain the general feeling of being a student in Sixth Form, I'll really appreciate it.

Cheers.[/quote]

How are you doing Further Maths without doing regular Maths?

shcndw

Dedicated Member
Oct 29, 2006
[QUOTE="smiggy, post: 0]How are you doing Further Maths without doing regular Maths?[/quote]

I believe I do the Maths course in one year instead of two.

Not sure actually...

Cyn

Veteran
Feb 19, 2008
I did a year at 6th Form and ****ing hated it. Maybe it was just my school, but total total BS. Awful choice of subjects, they say they'll give you more freedom and treat you like an adult - but they just don't.

So after that crappy year I waved goodbye to 6th Form and went to finish my A levels at college. My only regret was that I hadn't gone to college a year earlier, since it's infinitely better, at least for me.

Regarding your subjects, I think you're going to have a tough time when the exams come, but inbetween exam periods it shouldn't be so bad as long as you stay on top of things - none of those subjects are particularly coursework heavy.