Skyrim mods

Cyn

Veteran
Feb 19, 2008
Hey all, for those playing on PC what mods are you using? Obviously no full blooded ones will come out until Bethesda deign to release the creation kit but for now here's a good list, feel free to contribute any good ones you find;

FXAA post process injector (I use lighter version, less sharpening & bloom for much better performance). Improves the colour and contrast, generally makes everything prettier

4GB skyrim - Allows the game to access 4GB of memory instead of the default 2. if you use 64 bit windows this is very much recommended, if you have 32 bit it's a good idea to get anyway, more to deal with crashing issues than anything else

Enhanced Night Sky, Skyrim already has a nice night sky but this just makes it better

No perk Prerequisite's - makes the perk system how it should have been. You can choose any perk you want as long as you have the required level, no longer need to follow the tree except in special cases (some archery perks for example)

Enhanced Perk Points - works nicely with the above, allows you to specify the amount of perk points you gain per level. You will also need Script Dragon to make this work

Glowing ore veins 300 - makes ore veins easier to see, very helpful.

Tytanis the Ultimate Mod - this does all sorts of things and is being updated all the time. Currently covers almost all kinds of crafting and improvement of items. It now also includes Val's crafting meltdown, which lets you meltdown all kinds of armour, weapons and miscellaneous items into their base materials using a smelter. A good idea to also use Legendary Smithing Upgrades with this, which allows you to upgrade certain items all the way up to legendary which the vanilla game does not, such as the silver sword.

Weapon Retexture Project
- In its early stages but definitely one to keep your eye on for future months, this guy's work is great.

Last edited:

jlippone

Forum Guru
Dec 2, 2004
Been using the mod allowing killing childs, but sadly it still doesn't allow pick pocketing childs. (I still can't put frenzy potion on the bastard of Whiterun..)
Actually if that would be possible I wouldn't even need the kill child mod, I just want to see father gently tell the child not to be a brat. :twisted:

Will try the perk mod tonight and new SMAA injector.

Last edited:

LfCpS3

Master Poster
May 22, 2009
How do you install the perk mod?

How do you install mods in general for this game, i do what it says but i see no difference.

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
I only have the killable children mod so far. I would like to see a mod that adds two perks per level so I can expand my character towards more of how I want.

Cyn

Veteran
Feb 19, 2008
[QUOTE="LfCpS3, post: 5721264]How do you install the perk mod?

How do you install mods in general for this game, i do what it says but i see no difference.[/QUOTE]
That one is a plugin so you have to activate it in the launcher's data files section. Most of the mods out at the moment are only textures and so all you need to do is copy the files into your skyrim texture folder. There'll be walkthrough's on youtube I'm sure. For the small ones like the texture's use the nexus mod manager to install / uninstall them, it's a piece of cake

[QUOTE="Rapture, post: 5721271]I only have the killable children mod so far. I would like to see a mod that adds two perks per level so I can expand my character towards more of how I want.[/QUOTE]
That perk one I mentioned can also do this. You can set it to as many as you like. I have set mine to give me a bonus perk every 5 levels.

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
So I can use the mod to gain two perks per level then? I don't see it in the description, but I'll take your word for it. I'll be sure to download it when I get home.

Valefor

Dedicated Member
Mar 16, 2009
England, UK
[QUOTE="Cyn, post: 5720961]
No perk Prerequisite's (just came out last night) - probably the best mod so far, the perk system is annoying and this makes it how I think it should have been.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll install this.

I tried, but eventually uninstalled the FXAA mod as I thought the saturation was too heavy.

Cyn

Veteran
Feb 19, 2008
Here are two really nice mods that work hand in hand

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=874

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1020

The first lets you melt down weapons & armour to make ingots and break down all sorts of miscellaneous items to make into useful stuff. should really have been in the vanilla game.

The second adds much more depth to crafting at blacksmith's and adds loads of new recipe's for items. Think it's dumb that you can't make silver sword's with silver ingots? This fixes that and many other things. Both are being updated continually so think of them as alpha or beta at the moment. There's other mods like this too if you want to go even further in depth

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
Those are awesome. I'll be trying them right now, thanks Cyn.

Edit: None of them worked for me. I assume the 1.2 patch broke them.

Last edited:

Kwes

Unbound Mercenary
Mar 30, 2009
Is there a perk that allows one handed swords to be carried on my back, like a two handed sword?

Cyn

Veteran
Feb 19, 2008
[QUOTE="LfCpS3, post: 5726470]Is their a mod that allows me to increase the amount of perks i get per levelling up?[/QUOTE]
Yes, firstly you'll need this http://alexander.sannybuilder.com/?category=other&altname=skyrim_script_dragon as the mod requires this script to work. Just extract it to your desktop or a random folder and look for the ScriptDragon.dlll extension, that's all you need. Just cut and paste that into your skyrim directory. He just released the updated version compatible with 1.3 today.

Then get this http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1969 instructions are there, but it's just like any other simple mod really. You can set as many perks per level as you like and bonus perks too

[QUOTE="kwesnoth, post: 5726482]Is there a perk that allows one handed swords to be carried on my back, like a two handed sword?[/QUOTE]
Not that I have seen, but there are so many it's easy to miss them. Just search the nexus for a bit and see what pops up

updated OP

Last edited:

Nakatomi Uk

Master Poster
Feb 4, 2008
Uk
I have just read some of them and the perks mod is great I am playing the PS3 version and maybe one day I'll get the PC version I hate the perks the way they are and that you have to put points into perks you dont want the example giving with heavy armor etc.

I game like these in the PC community I still have F3 on PC shame the mods are harder to put in that game there was one called streets lights that would turn on certain lights around the wasteland I was looking for others to make the land more better and what it may look like after a fallout etc.

Kwes

Unbound Mercenary
Mar 30, 2009
I can't seem to get any of the mods to work. I know its because I'm an idiot, but could someone run through in detail what needs to be done?

Cyn

Veteran
Feb 19, 2008
Ok. Some are slightly different as they are plugins and you need to check them in the launcher but all are done along the same lines For example the enhanced night sky mod, all you have to do is download the mod from the nexus, unpack the contents to your desktop or wherever you like and simply copy and paste to your data folder. Or just unpack directly into the data folder. It will make its own 'textures' folder if there isn't one already and that's it, done. If you are unsure where you are meant to be putting the mods it's your Skyrim root directory; Computer/whichever drive you installed the game on/program files/The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim. Or if you got it through steam it will be under steam games.

With the plugins such as the Tytanis mod and No Perk Prereq's, you do basically the same thing, except it's not just textures you are adding but also .bsa and .esm files, but they also go in your data folder. To make sure the plugins are installed and to check them, go into your skyrim launcher and click on 'data files' and it should have your mods there, just tick the box and you're good.

Some don't go in the data folder but right into the Skyrim folder itself, such as the FXAA Injector.

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
I can't see what kind of file it is due to the site never fully allowing my account to be set up. Inside of the zipped folder are they .esp files?

Kwes

Unbound Mercenary
Mar 30, 2009
I extracted the whole thing into the data folder for skyrim, but it does not show up on the launcher. :/

So I know that they are supposed to go into the data folder, but it didn't work.

Kwes

Unbound Mercenary
Mar 30, 2009
[QUOTE="Rapture, post: 5729597]I can't see what kind of file it is due to the site never fully allowing my account to be set up. Inside of the zipped folder are they .esp files?[/QUOTE]

Yes there are esp files. Those were placed in the data folder upon extraction.

Kwes

Unbound Mercenary
Mar 30, 2009
[QUOTE="Cyn, post: 5729607]Hmm, in the launcher can you click the data files button at all? Or is it greyed out?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I can click it, but the skyrim file is the only one that shows up.

Cyn

Veteran
Feb 19, 2008
Dunno then mate, if you did it properly it should be visible. But I really can't see what could have gone wrong as it sounds like you did it right.