So America...How's your Internet

kflashin

Dedicated Member
Apr 29, 2007
Alaska
I ran across an article awhile back(I forget which one)that said america,the inventors of the internet,is now number 14 in the world for internet speed overall.Here's a graph showing our place:

And here's a graph showing average cost:

As you can see Japan is top's in the world for speed,but pay roughly $20 dollars less a month than we do:suspect:.Now I know a lot of things factor into this,such as population density and unified services,but it doesn't excuse the fact that we are for the most part...."getting screwed".
I am not hating on the other countries because of this,I am just extremley jealous and it show's every time I play COD4(LAG).So what are your thoughts on this situation.

Jacksbak

Dedicated Member
Nov 10, 2007
Wooo go UK haha least ours isnt very expensive..but we use an American Program, AOL- thats America Online btw lol

poematik14

Who's your daddy?
Nov 14, 2006
Im above average. Most people around me have DSL or cable.

I, however, have FiOS. 5 megs down, 2 up. Faster than a drunk driver through a windshield.

kflashin

Dedicated Member
Apr 29, 2007
Alaska
@ JaksbakThat's kinda what I thought,but I always hear people in Europe complain about their internet,but it doesn't make sense.

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
[QUOTE="poematik14, post: 0]Im above average. Most people around me have DSL or cable.

I, however, have FiOS. 5 megs down, 2 up. Faster than a drunk driver through a windshield.[/quote]
Great upload speed, mediocre download though.

I have 10Mbps down/640Kbps up.

cocruxified

Superior Member
May 28, 2005
allaboutthedeal.blogspot.com
[QUOTE="poematik14, post: 0]Im above average. Most people around me have DSL or cable.

I, however, have FiOS. 5 megs down, 2 up. Faster than a drunk driver through a windshield.[/quote]

Dude if your above average than I'm screaming here. I'm running the standard Optimum Online plan and I get 15/down and 2.5/up. That kinda makes me feel pretty good. 8)

Nov 18, 2006
North Carolina

HAHAHAHA Thats your FIOS? That is HORRIABLE. I have DSL and it is faster then that. That is some slow stuff my friend. Fios is way faster then that.

Behemoko

Elite Sage
Nov 14, 2006
Minnesota
Well, I love Minnesota to death, but we do get screwed when it comes to internet.

The fasted service you can get where I live (biggest suburb of the Twin Cities) is 8Mbps and that plan is I think $55 a month. The best service you can get is $37 a month for 6Mbps. (both by Comcast)

4th biggest city in the state (just lost our 3rd place to Duluth in the past couple years) and we get royally screwed when it comes to internet.

[QUOTE="Tyrien, post: 0]Great upload speed, mediocre download though.

I have 10Mbps down/640Kbps up.[/quote]

Great down, mediocre up. :lol:

1.5Mbps down, 756Kbps up.

cocruxified

Superior Member
May 28, 2005
allaboutthedeal.blogspot.com
[QUOTE="hockeydude30, post: 0]HAHAHAHA Thats your FIOS? That is HORRIABLE. I have DSL and it is faster then that. That is some slow stuff my friend. Fios is way faster then that.[/quote]

Yeah isn't it supposed to be amazing? Anyways. I always wondered why Japan had such fast speeds for so cheap. Kinda makes me jealous.:-|

Nov 18, 2006
North Carolina
[QUOTE="cocruxified, post: 0]Yeah isn't it supposed to be amazing? Anyways. I always wondered why Japan had such fast speeds for so cheap. Kinda makes me jealous.:-|[/quote]
Yeah I am pretty sure FIOS has 30Mbps+ speeds. I know in my area we are getting IPTV soon which means unlimited HD channels and also 200Mbps+ down speed. All for less then I am spending now on cable.

Nov 18, 2006
North Carolina
We have 6Mbps down and 512Kbps down and are paying around 40 a month. We actually get faster speeds then that it is around 7-8 down and around 500-600 up. What do you have and how much are you paying?

Xelis

Elite Sage
Jan 1, 2008
Japan are storming into the future, its strange how they have double the next countries speed, surely we're able to just adopt their techology which I believe is opitical cables. I can understand America not been up there because of the vastness of the country making the average fall, but smaller countries like us (England) should be easy to wire up.

Nov 18, 2006
North Carolina
TV over the internet in essence. So like where I am ATT already has fiber to all the hubs they just have to get it to the houses. TWC (Time Warner Cable) won't let them use their cable trays which are burried under the city and ATT doesn't want to dish out money to bury them because it would make the consumers mad because our neighborhoods would be torn up and it would cost a ton. Congress is going to make TWC "share" the cable trays though so we are getting IPTV soon. It is going to be amazing. Like 100x better then cable or sat.

kflashin

Dedicated Member
Apr 29, 2007
Alaska
[QUOTE="Xelis, post: 0]Japan are storming into the future, its strange how they have double the next countries speed, surely we're able to just adopt their techology which I believe is opitical cables. I can understand America not been up there because of the vastness of the country making the average fall, but smaller countries like us (England) should be easy to wire up.[/quote]
Yeah the sheer size plays a big role in it,we got deserts,farm land,small hick towns and the neighbors who feel that they need to live 4 blocks apart just for privacy.I have Clearwire up here in the AK and get 1.5dwn 256up if I'm lucky and still pay 60 bucks a month.

poematik14

Who's your daddy?
Nov 14, 2006
[QUOTE="hockeydude30, post: 0]Yeah I am pretty sure FIOS has 30Mbps+ speeds. I know in my area we are getting IPTV soon which means unlimited HD channels and also 200Mbps+ down speed. All for less then I am spending now on cable.[/quote]

I have the lowest FiOS plan. Its 29 bucks/month. The highest is 125 down, 30 up for like 150 dollars.

Nov 18, 2006
North Carolina
Yeah that is real FIOS right there, I don't know how cable or DSL is in your area, but I get faster speeds then that with DSL. We were going to get FIOS here but if you read my previous post you know why we don't.

kflashin

Dedicated Member
Apr 29, 2007
Alaska
[QUOTE="poematik14, post: 0]I have the lowest FiOS plan. Its 29 bucks/month. The highest is 125 down, 30 up for like 150 dollars.[/quote]
Wow I can't believe how badly we are getting screwed in AK,we don't even have an option to have FIOS,only cable.And the top of the line package is 10 Mbps dwn 1Mbps up for $99.99 a month

Nov 18, 2006
North Carolina
[QUOTE="kflashin, post: 0]Wow I can't believe how badly we are getting screwed in AK,we don't even have an option to have FIOS,only cable.And the top of the line package is 10 Mbps dwn 1Mbps up for $99.99 a month[/quote]
Alright yeah it sucks to be in AK. You guys are getting shafted almost as bad as Texas where Time Warner Cable is testing out charing people by how much bandwidth they use.

kflashin

Dedicated Member
Apr 29, 2007
Alaska
[QUOTE="hockeydude30, post: 0]Alright yeah it sucks to be in AK. You guys are getting shafted almost as bad as Texas where Time Warner Cable is testing out charing people by how much bandwidth they use.[/quote]
I just read about that in a Newsweek article today actually,it was kinda my inspiration too find those graphs and make this thread.I don't understand how they expect people who do a lot of online gaming to manage that,just to try and cut down on pirates.

Nisse

Apprentice
Dec 8, 2007
[QUOTE="hockeydude30, post: 0]I know some of Europe, I think Sweden has 1Gbps connections and standard is like 100Mbps. Just ask the member Zoshk on here.[/quote]

lol I wish that was true :( I would say standard is more like 24Mps, tho 100Mps is quite cheap per month (if you don't need to get the proper cables to your house which costs around 2500$)

Personally I have 8/1, can't get higher where I live :(

Nov 18, 2006
North Carolina
[QUOTE="kflashin, post: 0]I just read about that in a Newsweek article today actually,it was kinda my inspiration too find those graphs and make this thread.I don't understand how they expect people who do a lot of online gaming to manage that,just to try and cut down on pirates.[/quote]
Yeah it is messed up. It only affects new customers(for now). If they switch it to every customer I think a lot of people will leave because you are right you can easily go over that buy playing games online.
[QUOTE="Nisse, post: 0]lol I wish that was true :( I would say standard is more like 24Mps, tho 100Mps is quite cheap per month (if you don't need to get the proper cables to your house which costs around 2500$)

Personally I have 8/1, can't get higher where I live :([/quote]
Oh I was just going off of what Zoshk said, maybe it is the city that he lived in that the average was 100Mbps.

Nisse

Apprentice
Dec 8, 2007
[QUOTE="hockeydude30, post: 0]Oh I was just going off of what Zoshk said, maybe it is the city that he lived in that the average was 100Mbps.[/quote]

Well, 100 is quite common but I still wouldn't say it's standard. But I think in new build houses in the big cities (if any of the cities in Sweden can be called "big"...) they install so that you have the option of having 100.

I might be wrong tho, maybe it's just me living on the wrong side of town and missing all the action :p