So - does it have enough games to warrant a purchase yet?

Boxman

Dedicated Member
Jan 27, 2009
I haven't been keeping up with Playstation in a few years, but with the new gen launching and everything I figured it would be a good time to get back into the swing of things. Problem is, at first it didn't seem like there was much games to be had other than Killzone and inFamous, the former not being enough to warrant a purchase and the latter never interesting me from the get go.

I'll skip to the point though - E3 didn't have many games worth talking about on the Sony homefront, and Gamestop only has so many games, but are there things I'm overlooking? What games are out that are 100% worth playing? I'd really like to have a PS4 to accommodate my newly built gaming PC, but after walking into a couple game stores I haven't found anything to justify the purchase yet. LBP3 definitely interests me, but that's not coming out any time soon.

Boxman

Dedicated Member
Jan 27, 2009
Fair enough. I mean, I kind of want KZ just because of how the third one ended but that's just one game.

Kingdom Hearts and BloodBorne look pretty neato though.

chrisw26308

Forum Elder
Jan 13, 2007
KZ was fun and has a really good multiplayer, but a shit story.

Infamous and mlb are top notch games.

I've gotten more use out of my PS4 so far than I did my PS3. It sounds like your a PC guy, you may want to wait a year for the exclusive library to build up before you buy.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
KZ isn't bad, but it isn't great. Infamous SS and AC4 were awesome as was Tomb Raider. Lots of stuff coming in the fall....mostly multi plats, but still some great games. But there is plenty to play right now to lead you into the fall.

2015 looks to be stacked.

jj03

Elite Guru
Apr 7, 2007
Don't forget digital releases...resogun is a great example of value for money. Cheap as chips and playable as fuck. Merc kings, etc.

Boxman

Dedicated Member
Jan 27, 2009
[QUOTE="chrisw26308, post: 6356783]KZ was fun and has a really good multiplayer, but a $#@! story.

Infamous and mlb are top notch games.

I've gotten more use out of my PS4 so far than I did my PS3. It sounds like your a PC guy, you may want to wait a year for the exclusive library to build up before you buy.[/QUOTE]

KZ multiplayer went to pants too some months after it was released. Nothing but connection issues and lag - but man the months it worked it was GLORIOUS.
I got a TON of use out of my PS3 when I first got it - nothing but WaW (surprised I didn't wear the disc down from playing it so much). I just need a game to suck me in like that one did - and to be very fair the only PC game sucking me in like that is Halo: Combat Evolved. :lol:
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6356784]KZ isn't bad, but it isn't great. Infamous SS and AC4 were awesome as was Tomb Raider. Lots of stuff coming in the fall....mostly multi plats, but still some great games. But there is plenty to play right now to lead you into the fall.

2015 looks to be stacked.[/QUOTE]

Is inFamous SS a game you can play without worrying about story from the previous games? More importantly, did the gameplay get any improvements? Like I said before I never cared for the first one, but I'd be open to trying the newest one if it's better than the first.

May 29, 2007
.....pss..behind you
My most played games are NBA 2k and Don't Starve still. Most of my buddies wont be pickin one up till maybe Sept for Destiny at the earliest (even that they can just get on PS3/360) cause nothing really jumps out at them to get them to spend the $500+ yet (system/1 game/PS+)

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="Boxman, post: 6356787]KZ multiplayer went to pants too some months after it was released. Nothing but connection issues and lag - but man the months it worked it was GLORIOUS.
I got a TON of use out of my PS3 when I first got it - nothing but WaW (surprised I didn't wear the disc down from playing it so much). I just need a game to suck me in like that one did - and to be very fair the only PC game sucking me in like that is Halo: Combat Evolved. :lol:

Is inFamous SS a game you can play without worrying about story from the previous games? More importantly, did the gameplay get any improvements? Like I said before I never cared for the first one, but I'd be open to trying the newest one if it's better than the first.[/QUOTE]

Nah....the story doesn't carry over except in a DLC they added that isn't worth the money. The gameplay is a huge improvement over the last two, imo.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
If you want a PS4, then just buy one. You can wait for more games and buy it later, or just buy it now and play what it has to offer.

Boxman

Dedicated Member
Jan 27, 2009
I'll give SS a go around if (most likely when) I pick up a PS4 then, thanks for the info!

@Lethal, I'm not sure yet. That's why I made the thread. :p Obviously I can just wait until I'm sure to get one, but I just wanted to see what some of you guys think at the current moment.

Dec 20, 2006
What kind of games do you like? That's the first question.

There are a few games I would get a PS4 for at this moment, all three are exclusive.

Boxman

Dedicated Member
Jan 27, 2009
I'm open to pretty much anything that isn't RTS. Shooters, platformers, beat-em ups, RPGs to an extent, occasional puzzle game.

The only series I know outright I won't like is Uncharted. Couldn't stand how the first played. Bad camera, bad gunplay... Just could not will myself to finish it. Others like inFamous I'm willing to give another try.

Dec 20, 2006
[video=youtube;vz53kqC54MM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz53kqC54MM[/video]

[video=youtube;qZfR9ONunWw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZfR9ONunWw[/video]

[video=youtube;_b1maJsrBi8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b1maJsrBi8[/video]

Those three would be my candidates. Infamous is already out. PS2 is due this year, its free to play. And last I heard KUF2 is due out this year also, and its also free to play by the way.

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
[QUOTE="Boxman, post: 6356845]I'm open to pretty much anything that isn't RTS. Shooters, platformers, beat-em ups, RPGs to an extent, occasional puzzle game.

The only series I know outright I won't like is Uncharted. Couldn't stand how the first played. Bad camera, bad gunplay... Just could not will myself to finish it. Others like inFamous I'm willing to give another try.[/QUOTE]You should try the sequel, I wasn't a fan of the first one either.

Locomotive

Dedicated Member
Feb 25, 2012
These are the games I have found fun:

Infamous Second Son
Assassins Creed IV
Wolfenstein
Watchdogs
Killzone
Transformers
Trials Fusion
Dead Nation
Metal Gear Solid V
Resogun

Games that I thought were ok:

Madden
Warframe
Injustice

If enough on that list spikes your interest then the answer is "yes".

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
I know that feel of this question. Have wondered myself as well whether or not I'd place an order for this... Figured out, it's a big nope.

There's nothing much so far that interests me...
Only game so far interesting to me is Last of Us: Remastered, but I'm not really interested in buying a console to play 1 game... IN MY EYES (caps lock so you know for sure it's in my eyes, and not just a statement I write) the release of the next gen consoles came way too early and thus there's not much games out there (yet) for them. They should've kept the next gen consoles for 2015 (as most games are coming out then as well)...

EHY893

Elite Guru
Jun 4, 2008
Yeah I didn't like Watchdogs much either. I still haven't beat the game, only on the second chapter. Don't feel like playing it really to be fair. Definitely wasted my money on that game.

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
i would still recommend PS4 over a PC. I could see PC as a secondary platform but the amount of games you'll be getting on the PS4...unless you're a PC gamer at heart and prefer that over consoles to begin with, i would not recommend PC over a PS4.

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
OP - In my strong opinion it doesnt. Id wait till September before buying one as its gonna be pure fire from Sept onwards

Jan 9, 2014
Wales
www.twitter.com
Get a Wii U.. has a lot more exclusive games, none of which are found on PC, is a lot cheaper, no subscription to play online.

I really wanted Infamous to be great or another knockout game to arrive on PS4 so I had to buy one already, but it simply hasn't arrived yet. It may be Destiny but if not I may get one a month later for Driveclub, depending if there's a neat bundle about.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="33x, post: 6357174]OP - In my strong opinion it doesnt. Id wait till September before buying one as its gonna be pure fire from Sept onwards[/QUOTE]

Oh great I was wondering how long it would take you to comment in here :snicker

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
[QUOTE="Duffman1986, post: 6357199]Oh great I was wondering how long it would take you to comment in here :snicker[/QUOTE]

i cant believe i missed this thread!!!! ;)

Jan 9, 2014
Wales
www.twitter.com
[QUOTE="33x, post: 6357183]looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool! get a wii u?!??!?!?!?!?!?! hahahahaha![/QUOTE]

Well you got me! Your logic has convinced me otherwise!

Seriously though, if he has a PC this purchase is only based upon exclusive games, correct? Wii U simply has more, is cheaper to buy and run. If you wanted to buy a console to play tomorrow it's a better option.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
Between Killzone, Infamous and a few awsome indies and 3rd-party games? Absolutely yes. But you're not missing out if you wait a year either. Your call really ;)