So... Let's talk about the JRPG games on the PS3 ~

Aug 1, 2007
Well... since 2007 till at some point of last year the JRPG fans were crying for some on their PS3 system, and since then so many known names has released like WKC from Level 5, SO4 from Tri-Ace and let's not forget about FFXIII from SE.

BUT... were these games plus others been enough to let us forget and forgive ?

WKC arrived a year plus few weeks later after the JP release with so many extras but the game had it weakness like the Story for example and the game itself didn't reach the level the Dark Cloud 2 once were or at less Rouge Galaxy.

SO4 turned out to be the weakest in the series.... and FFXIII (( and let's face it and be honest )) didn't reach the same level as previews 3D FF games, it was just not as memorable as everyone hoped to be .

And yet we are still waiting to hear anything about the English Version of Tales of Vesperia which speaking of myself is the only game that could make me forget and forgive about every JRPG name that failed me on the PS3 so far.

more than 3 years Into the PS3 life and we still lack a great JRPG games that live up to the PS2 and PS1's era... I'm not going even to mention the many big memorable names they had because they are so well known for the most of us... long years after their release and we do still remember them because they were truly a great games .

By Looking into the near future I'm not seeing anything else great beside FFversusXIII and maybe KHIII years later that could live up to the great games the JRPG was once known for.

When I look at the JRPG games I have so far, I find myself counting them on the fingers of my one single hand... Folklore, Valkyria Chronicles, Demon's Souls and FFXIII.... 4 games in 3 years of having my PS3!!!!

I refused to give up before, but now I declare myself giving up... of course we will have great JRPG games in the future.... but they won't be as many as we used to have before.

This is Just sad....

Why can't we hear about a new Tales for the PS3? a new JRPG from SONY like Wild Arms or Legend of Dragoon? why can't we see a new great JRPG from SE like a new Chrono game or a new strong IP like Xenogears, Vagarant Story and Kingdom Hearst?

Where is Suikoden VI Konami? and where is the new Breath of Fire Capcom?

How about a new IP from you Namco? something real and better than Eternal Sonata!!

Atlus... hurry and bring Persona 5 to the PS3.

Really miss my JRPG ~

Kxizm

Superior Member
Mar 16, 2010
What makes you think those are going to be any better than the ones you're already complaining about. Be happy with what you have.

or...go play breath of fire on an emulator

EndZion

Superior Member
Feb 16, 2010
I'm pretty sure that when we first saw pics/vids of some of the aforementioned RPGs turned out to be so-called mediocre RPGs. Like said before, what if FFVersusXIII turns out to be only as good as FFXIII? And perhaps even (dare I say) KH3?!

Who knows where the RPG genre has gone/going.

There seem to be a plethora of games from one particular genre plaguing the Earth though.:roll: (that's where the profits seem to be atm)

Kxizm

Superior Member
Mar 16, 2010
[QUOTE="EndZion, post: 0]

There seem to be a plethora of games from one particular genre plaguing the Earth though.:roll: (that's where the profits seem to be atm)[/quote]
:gta:

...wait what?

Sep 27, 2008
uk
[QUOTE="The Praiseworthy, post: 0]When I look at the JRPG games I have so far, I find myself counting them on the fingers of my one single hand... Folklore, Valkyria Chronicles, Demon's Souls and FFXIII.... 4 games in 3 years of having my PS3!!!!
[/quote]

you realise you only have 4 games in 3 years because thats all you've bought in 4 years right?

there's loads out :roll:

Mo-green28

Superior Member
Jul 24, 2007
Rochester,New York
[QUOTE="EndZion, post: 0]I'm pretty sure that when we first saw pics/vids of some of the aforementioned RPGs turned out to be so-called mediocre RPGs. Like said before, what if FFVersusXIII turns out to be only as good as FFXIII? And perhaps even (dare I say) KH3?!

Who knows where the RPG genre has gone/going.

There seem to be a plethora of games from one particular genre plaguing the Earth though.:roll: (that's where the profits seem to be atm)[/quote]

Can't stand it. All these games are first person shooters, I need more third person shooters and bring back beat em up games, like The Warriors from rockstar. Or action RPG's that let's you have a party with you. X-Men Legends, Kingdom Hearts and Shining Force Neo.Developers need Abandon the First person shooter

Mechwarrior3

Dedicated Member
Sep 10, 2009
Amongst the Turtwigs!
So this is more about the fact that the current strand of JRPG's are just mediocre and not the epics that have come before?

Okay, well, I'd still like to say that Resonance of Fate is actually a lot of fun. Oh, and Demon's Souls + mediocre does not compute. That game is epic. Not for its story, obviously, but because of its addicting and brutal combat. But then again, I wouldn't classify DS as a JRPG. It seems to lack a lot of JRPG style. Not that it makes the game any less epic, mind you. :)

Still, I'd keep the faith and enjoy the "mediocre" JRPG's we've got so far. :)

And who knows, NIER may be awesome too.

EndZion

Superior Member
Feb 16, 2010
[QUOTE="Kxizm, post: 0]:gta:

...wait what?[/quote]
:2gun::boxing yeah that's right, too many....Hanna Montana games out there! :razz:

[QUOTE="Mo-green28, post: 0]Can't stand it. All these games are first person shooters, I need more third person shooters and bring back beat em up games, like The Warriors from rockstar. Or action RPG's that let's you have a party with you. X-Men Legends, Kingdom Hearts and Shining Force Neo. Developers need Abandon the First person shooter[/quote]

Where did the PS2 era RPG developers go? Did they just all pick up and left the industry??:-?

Umdlye

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2009
why do you end sentences with a tilde?

btw, if you really bought only 4 games in 3 years of having your ps3.. well.. you're missing out on a LOT. disgaea 3? resonance of fate? wkc? ff13? and not to mention ALL THE OTHER GREAT PS3 EXCLUSIVES...

FatesServant

Elite Member
Jul 6, 2006
Personally, I've enjoyed them overall. SO4, wasn't that great, but its gameplay was a lot of fun. FFXIII all depends on taste, they were trying something new, it was a nice attempt, and I personally really liked the game, and now they know what not to do next time. WKC was fun, and as a short RPG, it made it easy to play. The dialogue was childish,but overall I'm pleased with my purchase. Demons Souls was GOLD. While not really a JRPG, it's thrown in with them, an it's easily one of my top 5 PS3 games. Valkyria Chronicles was also amazing. Gameplay was great, and the story was also very gripping. FolkLore = not given the credit it deserves. It was very different, and it did what it did quite well. I was quite pleased with it. Disgaea 3: Great game, story was long and interesting. Not as good as the first one story wise, but the game mechanics were a large improvemement. Biggest loss really was the lack of upgraded graphics, but since I'm okay with such looks in tactic games, and I just simply love Disgaea, that wasn't at all a problem with me. If you want an absolutely TERRIBLE rpg, look at Enchanted Arms. Now that, is an apocalyptic failure of an rpg.

Overall, no, games aren't as good as they used to be, but developers have learned a lot of what to do, and what not to do now. I'm thinking the upcoming RPGs will be quite good. While no, we wont get TOO many RPGs this gen like we did with the PS2, things aren't all THAT bad. Of course though, the state of RPGs this gen all depends on the indiviudal and how much they like the games we have.
-FatesServant

Aug 1, 2007
What makes you think those are going to be any better than the ones you're already complaining about.
Maybe because there were games came out from Nowhere and shocked us with it level of greatness like Demon's Souls and there might be a chance that this might happen again?
btw, if you really bought only 4 games in 3 years of having your ps3.. well.. you're missing out on a LOT. disgaea 3? resonance of fate? wkc? ff13? and not to mention ALL THE OTHER GREAT PS3 EXCLUSIVES...
I have more than 40 PS3 games -_-"

I'm talking about JRPG.... about the great ones, not the mediocre ones like ROF.

and yeah D3 is a great game but I'm not a huge SRPG fan.

is there many other JRPGs out there? YES... are most of them mediocre? YES.

Feb 17, 2008
Games being sub-par and not having games are two different things anyway.

But then again, the only good JRPGs thus far would prolly be Demon's Souls (which doesn't really get categorized that well into the JRPG genre), Valkyria Chronicles (yet another non full-fledged JRPG genre game), Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey. Might try Eternal Sonata soon, totally forgot to pick this game up ever since it got ported.

BUT REJOICE GUYS, BECAUSE GUESS WHAT?! WE'RE GETTING MORE SHOOTERS SOON!!11!!1 GEARS OF WAR 3, MODERN WARFARE 3, CRYSIS 2, TOM CLANCY AND MORE! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

EndZion

Superior Member
Feb 16, 2010
Could be something to look forward too?

"In March 2010, the director and producer of Persona 3 and Persona 4, Katsura Hashino, told Japanese gaming magazine, Dengeki PlayStation, that he is beginning to develop the next game in the Persona series. He also mentioned that he "wants to add things that are being expected of the series and change things that can be changed within those boundaries." In September 2009, Shoji Meguro, a member of Atlus, was listed in Sony's site as the producer on Persona 5 exclusively for the PlayStation 3"
Wonder how long it would take to develop?

Jan 13, 2006
United States
[QUOTE="EndZion, post: 0]Where did the PS2 era RPG developers go? Did they just all pick up and left the industry??:-?[/quote]

Right now they are on the handhelds.

As for me, I only have:

White Knight Chronicles
Disgaea 3
Cross Edge

and I'm a JRPG fan. :cry:

Umdlye

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2009
[QUOTE="The Praiseworthy, post: 0]
I have more than 40 PS3 games -_-"
I'm talking about JRPG.... about the great ones, not the mediocre ones like ROF.
and yeah D3 is a great game but I'm not a huge SRPG fan.
is there many other JRPGs out there? YES... are most of them mediocre? YES.[/quote]

You still didn't answer my other question.
And you should try X Edge. :roll:

Aug 1, 2007
[QUOTE="Umdlye, post: 0]

You still didn't answer my other question.
And you should try X Edge. :roll:[/quote]

When you lose this behavior I will gladly answer your question.

Umdlye

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2009
[QUOTE="The Praiseworthy, post: 0]When you lose this behavior I will gladly answer your question.[/quote]

Did you try X Edge? And why do you end sentences with a tilde?

Jan 4, 2010
Kingdom Hearts, White Knight Chronicles 2, Final Fantasy XIV and Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 5 are all already in development. There would be more PS3 JRPGS if the PS3 weren't such a [email protected]#th to code.

Mo-green28 said:
I need more third person shooters and bring back beat em up games.
This to the 100th power. +rep

[QUOTE="Umdlye, post: 0]Did you try X Edge?[/quote]

DON'T.

Jan 4, 2010
[QUOTE="AaronSOLDIER, post: 0]PS3? Or just the PSP one?[/quote]

Birth by Sleep's been done for a while; it just needs to be released.

There are 3 more Kingdom Hearts projects in the works right now, one of them being Kingdom Hearts 3 for the PS3.

Gaddes

Super Elite
Sep 2, 2008
Myrtle Beach S.C
www.facebook.com
I've enjoyed RoF, WKC, D3, and Demon Souls (more of an Action RPG) so far. I rented FF13, but got tired of it very fast. Star Ocean 4 is pretty bad. I have to ask Sony, just where in the hell are you first party JRPG titles like Dragoon 2, Wild Arms 6, and Legaia 3?

As for Breath of Fire, I wouldn't count on it.

S

Stig

I think the biggest reason we don't see more JRPGs on the PS3 or the 360 is that the Wii and DS are both cheaper to develop for and are in more households so clearly that is where the money is. PS2 was the same way: it was the clear winner and so developing for it was a no-brainer. Hopefully as the PS3 picks up speed we will see more there, but certainly not like we saw with the PS2. Those days are over sadly.

Aug 25, 2005
well, i do see a huge difference between old jrpg's and the ones been made now: cost and time involved into creating one and how well does it sells..

the time is taking developers to create a game seems to be way too long, and those games tend to be very short also. i mean, how much time did developers take to finish uncharted 2? its main story i finished in less than 14 hours. same as gow3, which i finished in less than 14 also.. i really dont count replayability that much because i do buy lots of games, which i play as soon as i finish one.

by doing some reading, this was the aproximate time that took to make these games:

ff7 = 1995 - 1997 (two years), ff8 = 1997 - 1999 (2 years), ff9 = 1999 - 2000 (1 year), vagrant story = 1998 - 2000 (2 years), legend of dragoon = 1996 - 1999 (3 years)

compare that to:

ff13 = 2005 - 2010 (5 years), star ocean 4 = 2006 - 2010 (4 years) (couldn't find any more rpg's to compare, but it seems that time frame varies from 3 to 5 years)

i myself have over 20 rpg's from ps1 to ps3, and none of the ps3 i have found to be as transcendent as the ones from ps1 and some of ps2.

HardlePS3

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2008
Brazil
www.freewebs.com
What annoys me is the lack of faith that companies/media have in JRPGs nowadays.

Where are the Wild Arms, the Breath of Fires, the Chronos, the Vagrants, the Alundras of yore.... Come on people, start working... ¬¬

Apr 8, 2010
[QUOTE="AaronSOLDIER, post: 0]I know.

But wheres the proof of this?[/quote]

I don't have the proof with me right now, but I do remember reading an article were the creator said that were working on new Kingdom Hearts games for the DS, PSP, and PS3, again, WORKING on it, there's no release dates or teasers or anything.