So, the weirdest thing just happened...

Jaeger

Master Sage
Mar 2, 2008
I was playing a game on my PS3, as you do, and something happened in the game that scared me shitless. It came out of nowhere and it all happened rather fast - the whole thing took me surprise. The weird thing is the game I was playing wasn't a horror/survival game and the thing that scared me wasn't a monster or a human being. The game I was playing was Just Cause 2 and the thing that freaked me out - as much as it does in real-life - was being stuck in the middle of the ocean, with no land or no people around for miles.

I was flying my jet and it exploded and crashed in the sea. I escaped but was just stuck there. I didn't think much of it at first but I started diving underwater and it just got deeper and deeper and was going almost pitch black. That's when I had this really weird feeling in the pit of my stomach. I actually scrambled to get back to the surface - almost as if it were real-life and it was actually me drowning. The thought of just being stuck there in the middle of the ocean with no people, no transport or no land just scares the hell outta me. I've never had this happen before and it's kinda making me hesistant to play Just Cause 2 again.

Have any of you experienced this where your real-life fears come into effect when playing a game?

Noxia

Forum Sage
Dec 21, 2008
England
[QUOTE="Jaeger, post: 5657978]I was playing a game on my PS3, as you do, and something happened in the game that scared me shitless. It came out of nowhere and it all happened rather fast - the whole thing took me surprise. The weird thing is the game I was playing wasn't a horror/survival game and the thing that scared me wasn't a monster or a human being. The game I was playing was Just Cause 2 and the thing that freaked me out - as much as it does in real-life - was being stuck in the middle of the ocean, with no land or no people around for miles.

I was flying my jet and it exploded and crashed in the sea. I escaped but was just stuck there. I didn't think much of it at first but I started diving underwater and it just got deeper and deeper and was going almost pitch black. That's when I had this really weird feeling in the pit of my stomach. I actually scrambled to get back to the surface - almost as if it were real-life and it was actually me drowning. The thought of just being stuck there in the middle of the ocean with no people, no transport or no land just scares the hell outta me. I've never had this happen before and it's kinda making me hesistant to play Just Cause 2 again.

Have any of you experienced this where your real-life fears come into effect when playing a game?[/QUOTE]

Yep, when I was playing Limbo and saw this behind a tree:

then being chased:

Last edited:

DarkVincent07

Trying not to break stuff...
Mar 4, 2008
Sydney
Not to that extent, but in games when I am really engaged I tend to actually hold my breath as I dive underwater.

Bioshock 1 and 2 kinda broke that habit a little, but the first few hours of that game made me VERY uncomfortable

Jaeger

Master Sage
Mar 2, 2008
[QUOTE="Naxi, post: 5657988]Haha, I hate underwater levels for that reason.[/QUOTE]
I'm alright if the water is in an enclosed area, such as the underwater section in MGS2 for example, but it's when the games are set out in a vast ocean with no means of transport. I was beginning to freak out when it happened, I actually felt like turning the game off.

berts08

Elite Guru
Nov 14, 2007
N.Ireland
There was a time when I was playing burnout paradise, it was with the motor bikes dlc. I was driving about and I notice a figure stare at me when I passed it. I turned around and went back to check again and the figure was gone. I then got this feeling that I was being watched by a ghost or demon. I am not going to lie, it scared the shit out of me. I had to turn the game off and leave.

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
[QUOTE="Jaeger, post: 5658005]I'm alright if the water is in an enclosed area, such as the underwater section in MGS2 for example, but it's when the games are set out in a vast ocean with no means of transport. I was beginning to freak out when it happened, I actually felt like turning the game off.[/QUOTE]Those are what tick me off. There was a place in a cave where you could jump into the water, but to do that you had to swim underwater through a tight hole. Getting stuck there would be horrible.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="mankind, post: 5658007]There was a time when I was playing burnout paradise, it was with the motor bikes dlc. I was driving about and I notice a figure stare at me when I passed it. I turned around and went back to check again and the figure was gone. I then got this feeling that I was being watched by a ghost or demon. I am not going to lie, it scared the shit out of me. I had to turn the game off and leave.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty creepy.

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
[QUOTE="mankind, post: 5658007]There was a time when I was playing burnout paradise, it was with the motor bikes dlc. I was driving about and I notice a figure stare at me when I passed it. I turned around and went back to check again and the figure was gone. I then got this feeling that I was being watched by a ghost or demon. I am not going to lie, it scared the shit out of me. I had to turn the game off and leave.[/QUOTE]Although scripted, that makes G-man really creepy in Half-Life.

Jaeger

Master Sage
Mar 2, 2008
[QUOTE="Naxi, post: 5658008]Those are what tick me off. There was a place in a cave where you could jump into the water, but to do that you had to swim underwater through a tight hole. Getting stuck there would be horrible.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, being trapped underwater in games used to freak me out. Tomb Raider on PSOne is a perfect example of this due to the clunky controls meaning you'd often find Lara stuck on a corner and not being able to move with your oxygen running out pretty quick. MGS2/MGS3 weren't so bad in terms of their underwater sections and I was fine with Bioshock as you were pretty much in a safe enviroment away from all the water. There were one or two parts where water came into play but they were so quick, it didn't bother me.

saleenf5

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2007
It's funny how when drowning in video games you panic like no other. I hate games with spiders in them. All the basic monster games don't really scare me BUT a game with a creepy dark atmosphere (read silent hill) seriously freaks me out.