SOCOM Confrontation gameplay

Natalz

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2006
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22218.html

First of all: I only played a bit of socom and I didn't play any of the titles seriously online. I was / am planning to get a bit more into socom on the ps3. This gameplay footage worries me a bit though. It seems like some things are missing for a good online shooter. I mean it doesn't look very rewarding / satisfying making that headshot or kill? Their seem to be alot of spray and pray gameplay till someone dies. The crosshair and the animations look a bit weird and for example the gameplay moment at 17 seconds, that just looks a bit weird to me. Also is that guy in the trailer playing really bad?

The gfx seem fine to me (not great, not bad) and they could improve before release. I believe this title is supposed to be going back to basic, so are you socom players seeing the good gameplay that made this serie popular?

Let's discuss the socom gameplay, what elements make it great etc?

I know that there is probably still going to be a socom from Zipper next year, but that's not relevant to this thread.

cameltoe

Apprentice
Nov 15, 2006
this will pull me away from Counter-Strike.....

They are probably getting the gameplay down, then will beef up the graphics

Travaughn

Elite Member
Sep 3, 2006
I would really like to Zipper back at the helm of Socom, something seems amiss with Confrontation. I didn't get any real satisfaction by watching the vids of it thus far. To me it doesn't seem appealing, hopefully this changes and this will be a good stop gap until the real Socom 4 being made by Zipper.

Mar 8, 2007
First off, This game won't be out until sometime late this year, So they have time to fix little bugs, Plus the video that you seen may of only been a video of 6 months of work. I have faith that this game will make a major impact on the PS3 for the future and where it will be going. Plus Zipper is making a Socom Game as we speak, just that they havn't released any info about it....their just saying that their in production.

Mar 26, 2007
The game has not been in development for that long. On that note in response to your question, it was one of the first games I have played where it was really beneficial to use tactics. You don't find people just running and gunning, there was more teamwork and strategy. It still remains the only shooter I have religiously played and this will be a buy for me as well.

Eraser.

Superior Member
May 29, 2007
[QUOTE="Natalz, post: 0]http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22218.html

First of all: I only played a bit of socom and I didn't play any of the titles seriously online. I was / am planning to get a bit more into socom on the ps3. This gameplay footage worries me a bit though. It seems like some things are missing for a good online shooter. I mean it doesn't look very rewarding / satisfying making that headshot or kill? Their seem to be alot of spray and pray gameplay till someone dies. The crosshair and the animations look a bit weird and for example the gameplay moment at 17 seconds, that just looks a bit weird to me. Also is that guy in the trailer playing really bad?

The gfx seem fine to me (not great, not bad) and they could improve before release. I believe this title is supposed to be going back to basic, so are you socom players seeing the good gameplay that made this serie popular?

Let's discuss the socom gameplay, what elements make it great etc?

I know that there is probably still going to be a socom from Zipper next year, but that's not relevant to this thread.[/quote]

Socom is good because it isnt respawn like all other shooters (that I know of. Not sure about CS). Also, it has a great community system. In the past 4 installments, Socom has kept a "lobby" system which lists all the games in that lobby. This also for custom room names visible to all. This may not seem like a big deal, but this allows for setting rooms for clan wars without the aid of an outside ladder. I cant stress how important this is. Socom has gone downhill with 3 and ca, and now pretty much the only time i play is in clan wars because its so much better competition. Also, with no global open mics, it makes the game more personal. If someone is annoying or an *******, you literally see who it is because it shows whose names talking, so then you know that person is a jerk. Likewise, you know who is nice, helpful, and it really makes a huge difference in terms of the community,

Also, in past socoms you can jump. Im worried that they may have taken it out as a remedy for quicksniping, but hopefully they didnt. You
really do not know how satisfying it is to be getting shot at, so you jump over a ledge, circle around a few seconds later, and kill the guy originally shooting at you while he is busy guessing where you could have went.

prisoner_of_war

Dedicated Member
May 26, 2007
Audio sounds great, visuals look great, and the game play looks awesome. I've been a fan of the socom series, and they've never disappointed me. It almost looks like R6V kinda.

Dec 1, 2006
The camera view is now like ghost recon which really worries me. The best part of this games was their camera view and if they messed with it I think people will complain! The main reason that I don't play ghost recon is b/c of that camera angle! From all of the other videos that I have seen it looks like they are getting everything right. Although the guys seem to jump a little funny but if that is their remedy for the quick sniping I'm ok with it! I hope this game is as fun as SocomII with all the great features fom CA! Viva La Socom!

Zatoichi

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2006
[QUOTE="Eraser., post: 0]Socom is good because it isnt respawn like all other shooters (that I know of. Not sure about CS). [/QUOTE]
Your knowledge of shooters must be pretty limited then. Socom is reeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaally far from being original in having no-respawn gameplay.

S

Soviet635

[QUOTE="COALTRAIN, post: 0]I can't wait to play that map--crossroads (hope they didn't just make it for the preview). I think they made it 10x's better looking and sounding. I just hope they dont drop the ball on the gameplay. SOCOM ROCKS...[/quote]

X-roads WILL be in the retail version of the game, it's not just to show off.

Dec 23, 2005
That looked awful. The hybrid of the old Socom gameplay and GRAW 2 game play is horrible. Unless they make massive updates to this game, this is a no buy for me. This is possibly one of the worst PS3 games to date so far.

Lag has never been so present in a game. The movement animations are horrible. Either the guy playing was awful, or the aim of this game has gone to h*ll. The environments look incredibly tacky. The third person view is sooooo bad. Either put it behind the guy like in the old Socom or make it first person. The half way in between thing is entirely unappealing.

Dec 12, 2006
Socom is really addicting to me i use to play it so much that i stoped turning off my ps2 and played all day ,This game is gonna bring me back to socom... my old Screen name use to be" /ka\Sniperwolf "

Harrow

Master Poster
Nov 26, 2006
[QUOTE="PatriotAct, post: 0]Not a noob but what exactly is quick sniping? Im am sure I have seen it but I don't know what the term refers to...[/quote]

Quick sniping was sort of an exploit in Socom 3/CA where someone could point the crosshairs in your direction and then scope in and shoot at the same time and the shot would just line up almost like an auto-target and be a one shot kill. I never did it but that is how I understand it. Some argue that it was not a glitch but by my definition if it wasn't meant to be done and the devs overlooked or hadn't thought of it then its a glitch.

It was tactics like these thought up by people with too much time there hands and questionable ethics that ruined the game. Similar glitches were getting into walls and being invulnerable, or up on roof tops.

[QUOTE="Beamer1112, post: 0]That looked awful. The hybrid of the old Socom gameplay and GRAW 2 game play is horrible. Unless they make massive updates to this game, this is a no buy for me. This is possibly one of the worst PS3 games to date so far.

Lag has never been so present in a game. The movement animations are horrible. Either the guy playing was awful, or the aim of this game has gone to h*ll. The environments look incredibly tacky. The third person view is sooooo bad. Either put it behind the guy like in the old Socom or make it first person. The half way in between thing is entirely unappealing.[/quote]

You do realize this game is about four months away from being released right?

Jul 11, 2007
www.PbNation.com
[QUOTE="PatriotAct, post: 0]Not a noob but what exactly is quick sniping? Im am sure I have seen it but I don't know what the term refers to...[/quote]

You jump in the air and as soon as you leave the ground you zoom in and snipe someone while you're still in the air or you zoom in super fast and snipe someone. It was fun to do but so unrealistic lol.

GunTeng

Elite Guru
May 1, 2006
That looks quite good, and yes, the guy playing it was a bit ....well...useless..lol.
I also noticed some git teleporting while in the middle of a firefight in the courtyard. MMM...CHEAT!..:p

Socom is a fantastic game, until you are screwed over by ZIPPER.

Fekz

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2006
This game looks like pure ****, and for the life of me, I can't understand the excitement about a game that allows you to bend your limbs in such retarded ways while croutching.

I've never bothered to PLAY Socom, so I can't comment on if its actually enjoyable or not, but just based off visual impression? Wow. This has to be the worst looking upcoming title this generation next to Tenchu Z.

May 29, 2007
.....pss..behind you
[QUOTE="vLoCiTy, post: 0]You jump in the air and as soon as you leave the ground you zoom in and snipe someone while you're still in the air or you zoom in super fast and snipe someone. It was fun to do but so unrealistic lol.[/QUOTE]
You are correct =) that is what quick sniping was. It was also rather anoying. Buddy of mine did it to me ALOT =( that and the damn DE glitch =( I must admit tho, the preditor vision with the DE looked pretty damn cool. to bad it was a glitch. The glowstick glitch was pretty kool too lol

So far the game seems to be shaping up fairly well. I do have one concern tho. As others have pointed out. The camera view has got to go. Pull it back some. Please. What fun is it to dance on the person you killed if you can't see the magnificent footwork.On that note we need more dances too. I wouldn't mind moonwalking on some poor saps face :twisted: lol Other then that I don't have any complaints (Yet) Just fix the viewpoint. Can't wait to play Crossroads in all its High Def glory. oH I also want Blizzard back. Devs... If you see this, I want blizzard back too. :mrgreen: Oh and Desert Glory :DD

P.S.Also make sure to have gameshark type devices locked out!! I can;t stress this enuff. Code 9ers realy blew

the R.O.C

Superior Member
Jul 9, 2006
OH GOOD LORD....IS THAT CROSSROADS?! Oh man, I'm sold....lol...I've been a Socom fan since the original, and just the fact that they included one of the BEST maps in the whole franchise is a good sign of things to come. Albeit, it's not the prettiest looking shooter as of now, but I believe that will change with time. This is great.

Dec 23, 2005
[QUOTE="Seeksjustice, post: 0]Quick sniping was sort of an exploit in Socom 3/CA where someone could point the crosshairs in your direction and then scope in and shoot at the same time and the shot would just line up almost like an auto-target and be a one shot kill. I never did it but that is how I understand it. Some argue that it was not a glitch but by my definition if it wasn't meant to be done and the devs overlooked or hadn't thought of it then its a glitch.

It was tactics like these thought up by people with too much time there hands and questionable ethics that ruined the game. Similar glitches were getting into walls and being invulnerable, or up on roof tops.

You do realize this game is about four months away from being released right?[/quote]

Yea, and for this game to appeal to me a lot of changes have to happen within that time. The games doesn't look good, gameplay seems to be broken, and doesn't even come close to matching the others in the series. Zipper should have done this game in the first place. I would much rather see Socom 4 a year later and have this done right than have it like this.

Harrow

Master Poster
Nov 26, 2006
[QUOTE="Beamer1112, post: 0]Yea, and for this game to appeal to me a lot of changes have to happen within that time. The games doesn't look good, gameplay seems to be broken, and doesn't even come close to matching the others in the series. Zipper should have done this game in the first place. I would much rather see Socom 4 a year later and have this done right than have it like this.[/quote]

I hear that. I could have waited a long time for SOCOM 4 as long as Confrontations was done right. Zipper should have done this game. Online is what matters when it comes to SOCOM so this game needs to be done right. If this game flops will anyone take SOCOM 4 seriously anyway? Hopefully they will fix this up though.

Mar 26, 2007
Oh, see I only played the first two games, I never picked up part three so that is why I did not know about quick sniping. Good to know. I know about the glitching, in part two on the ship people used to fall into the floor and could shoot you through the floor. I like the ability to see through other peoples perspective, it allows you to catch glitchers like that...

GunTeng

Elite Guru
May 1, 2006
Sorry to wake up an old thread.
I just watched the HD version of Socom and noticed gaps in the textures ( where walls meet together) and was wondering if this is going to be a typical ZIPPER product that has flaws all over the place.

I have never played the game in 3rd person, so I dont have any complaints about the camera angle. Unless of course they no longer support it as a FPS game.

One more thing that I noticed & it is pretty typical of last gen. When shooting out of a window etc, your character always has the gun at mid height which causes you to shoot inside of the window, even though the guns shows that it is above window height ( am I wrong>?).

Remember when you were even in 1st person mode & you clearly have no obstruction to your crosshairs, yet your bullets would bounce off the window/ wall in front of you? I fear this is going to be no different.

For a next gen game it looks far from spectacular and shows no evidence so far of over-coming last gens flaws. Has there really been a change to the game other than the creators name? Is it still ZIPPER under the hood?

I sure as hell hope not. It is a fantastic and fun game to play online, but if the last-gen issues still exist in this game, then I can see a lot of disappointment and infuriated fans ( myself for 1).
Im sorry if I come across too negative here, but I really am looking to get into Socom this gen, but I really dont want to face all the issues and annoyances we dealt with with the PS2 games.

C

crouchy

[QUOTE="GunTeng, post: 0]Sorry to wake up an old thread.
I just watched the HD version of Socom and noticed gaps in the textures ( where walls meet together) and was wondering if this is going to be a typical ZIPPER product that has flaws all over the place.

I have never played the game in 3rd person, so I dont have any complaints about the camera angle. Unless of course they no longer support it as a FPS game.

One more thing that I noticed & it is pretty typical of last gen. When shooting out of a window etc, your character always has the gun at mid height which causes you to shoot inside of the window, even though the guns shows that it is above window height ( am I wrong>?).

Remember when you were even in 1st person mode & you clearly have no obstruction to your crosshairs, yet your bullets would bounce off the window/ wall in front of you? I fear this is going to be no different.

For a next gen game it looks far from spectacular and shows no evidence so far of over-coming last gens flaws. Has there really been a change to the game other than the creators name? Is it still ZIPPER under the hood?

I sure as hell hope not. It is a fantastic and fun game to play online, but if the last-gen issues still exist in this game, then I can see a lot of disappointment and infuriated fans ( myself for 1).
Im sorry if I come across too negative here, but I really am looking to get into Socom this gen, but I really dont want to face all the issues and annoyances we dealt with with the PS2 games.[/quote]
Without trying to humiliate you

1. It's an unfinished game, i'm amazed that people rarely recognize this.
2. It's a psn stop gap game for the hordes of SOCOM fans until the real SOCOM 4 arrives.
3. It's not made by Zipper.

GunTeng

Elite Guru
May 1, 2006
[QUOTE="crouchy, post: 0]Without trying to humiliate you

1. It's an unfinished game, i'm amazed that people rarely recognize this.
2. It's a psn stop gap game for the hordes of SOCOM fans until the real SOCOM 4 arrives.
3. It's not made by Zipper.[/QUOTE]

Thats ok...considering you state the obvious, it is hardly able to humiliate anyone.;)

1. Thats obvious.
2. Really? I didnt know this or hear it anywhere. So...when is Socom4 expected ( which year roughly?).
3. Another obvious point. But who does the new company consist of? Any old ZIPPER employess in there? And even so, does that mean that the old mistakes made by ZIPPER will not be made again?

Doesn't the game move & feel ( from what you can see) exactly like the old Socom games ( not including camera angles)?
For example...this shooting out of the window scenario is exactly like the old Socom games.

Again, this is not trying to be negative just to throw a lot of FUD at the game.
This is a genuine concern of someone who loved Socom2 and spent the better part of 2 years online with it, before finally having enough of Socom3 and the problems that were never corrected in Europe.

A

AFMR-PS3

Game is being made by the comapny who made/is making the Socom PSP game, if I'm not mistakened. Socom 4, by Zipper, is suposed to come out late next year.

This Socom game is just like WipEout HD. Just a better version of previous games in the franchise to hold out eagger fans until the real next-gen version comes out ;)

P.S. This doesn't look that good, animations wise mostly, and also, as already stated, the camera angle blows...think GRAW 2puts this on the self by miles. Then again, November is still a bit far away, and that footage is a months old already I think. Also, I heard they had been working on the game for only 4 months (thats when they first showed it...so I'm guessing they have been working on it for like 6/7 months already now). Final result should be way better :)