Some Interesting Microsoft Patents

Oct 24, 2006

RichMacca

Dedicated Member
Mar 13, 2007
i think its got a lot to do with the way they do, not the actual doing it. So its possible for other companys to do it, but its got to be done in a different way to ms way of doing it.

Nuvian

Master Sage
Feb 4, 2008
Method and apparatus for quickly joining an online game being played by a friend[/URL]
[*]Online game invitations using friends list
[*]Method and apparatus for creating and playing soundtracks in a gaming system[/LIST]Now, I knew about the custom soundtracks, but game invites and joining friend's games are two that I was unaware of.

I find it surprising the type of things that can be covered by patents.

I suppose it's a case of who can come up with the innovation first.

[links to patents taken from Neogaf]
yeh i totaly agree,i find alot of it quite pathetic to be coverd by patents,eventualy you wont be able to put first aid in your game without applying for one:D

A7

Supreme Veteran
Apr 19, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
[QUOTE="Nuvian, post: 0]yeh i totaly agree,i find alot of it quite pathetic to be coverd by patents,eventualy you wont be able to put first aid in your game without applying for one:D[/QUOTE]

I think it's a wise move from a business standpoint because you do not want your competition copying your methods that actually work.

I'm still upon the understanding that the patent is only to do with the method of how MS undertake their steps towards the; cross game invites/game invites, custom soundtracks etc...

A7

Supreme Veteran
Apr 19, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
[QUOTE="LiquidHelium, post: 0]Good move for microsoft, bad move for gamers.[/QUOTE]

I don't see why Sony can not figure their own way, I mean the concept is not closed off to them just the method as in how MS get it to work.

Thegamingdwarf

Dedicated Member
Feb 12, 2005
Oxford, UK
citizensparks.tumblr.com
We were discussing this on the PS3 Discussion section .:Here:. Our conclusion was that it doesn't patent the entire idea, only the application that runs it, so therefore it doesn't directly affect anyone besides Microsoft.

Another example for instance is that Microsoft can patent its specific code for running apps in Vista, but it can't patent the app idea, or the entire OS.

All this means is that it will take longer for other companies to develop if Microsoft have patented the best way to do it (which is completely fair game to them) hence why custom soundtracks directly from the PS3 is taking longer to be implemented.

Baki

Master Guru
Nov 13, 2007
Method and apparatus for quickly joining an online game being played by a friend[/URL]
[*]Method and apparatus for creating and playing soundtracks in a gaming system[/LIST]
Now, I knew about the custom soundtracks, but game invites and joining friend's games are two that I was unaware of.

I don't think they should be able to patent such things. I can understand them patenting the code, but not the ability to do it.

Jan 16, 2008
dont forget microsoft also has a patent where your employer puts a comp. chip in your arm, and tracks how hard you are workin, or is your sitting, or any thing like that.

[*]Method and apparatus for creating and playing soundtracks in a gaming system[/LIST]Now, I knew about the custom soundtracks, but game invites and joining friend's games are two that I was unaware of.

only covers xbox 360 consoles. deveopers are not allowed to bring in their own invite system and bypass live.
i can go home and do this myself and slap it up on the net exactly how its done on xbox and its 100% legal.

For future reference, double posting is not allowed ~ Behemoko