Sony ads Livemove 2 to PS3 SDK

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
http://www.developmag.com/news/32075/Sony-adds-LiveMove-2-to-PS3-SDK
E3'09: AiLive's gesture recognition tech available for free to registered developers

Sony revealed its motion-sensing 'wand' controller at its press conference yesterday - and already it's revealed its plans to help developers get the most of the peripheral.

AiLive – company which co-developed the Wii MotionPlus together with Nintendo – will make its LiveMove 2 motion recognition software available for free to all licensed PS3 developers thanks to a new deal with Sony Computer Entertainment.

Developers can 'train' the software to understand key gestures, which can then be accurately recognised when performed by players, taking the burden of motion interpretation away from game teams.

"The phenomenal precision of SCE's new controller combined with the effortless expressive power of AiLive's LiveMove 2 will dramatically expand the frontier for natural motion control in games," said Dr. Wei Yen, chairman of AiLive

"Our market-proven LiveMove 2 software gives developers the power to inject freeform player motion directly into their game. We're thrilled to help deliver this unparalleled level of control to PLAYSTATION® 3 players."

Masayuki Chatani, executive vice president and chief technology officer at Sony Computer Entertainment, added: "The LiveMove 2 development tool is the premier solution for recognizing human gestures in games. I am very happy to be able to make this revolutionary tool available to all PLAYSTATION® 3 developers. We eagerly look forward to the new and engaging game experiences developers will create for the PLAYSTATION® 3 with the help of LiveMove."
Examples of livemove 2 with Wii Plus

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acND4sO3pJs&feature=channel_page"]YouTube - Wii MotionPlus and AiLive's LiveMove 2[/ame]

Jan 11, 2008
www.Thetf.net
Interesting development. Looking at that video, and comparing it to the Sony motion controller demo, Sony's seems a lot more accurate.

Though I'm not a fan of Sony's controller, Project Natal or the Wiimote, out of the three, Sony's has the greatest potential to be featured in both casual and core games. Nintendo of course already uses the Wiimote in their core games, but for say a first person shooter, or an RTS game for example, Sony's seems the more 'broad' with what it can do.

I don't think Sony's controller will make the Spring 2010 release though, and if it slips, Microsoft will have Natal's massive ad campaign lined up to steal the limelight.

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
[QUOTE="Galvanise_, post: 0]Interesting development. Looking at that video, and comparing it to the Sony motion controller demo, Sony's seems a lot more accurate.

Though I'm not a fan of Sony's controller, Project Natal or the Wiimote, out of the three, Sony's has the greatest potential to be featured in both casual and core games. Nintendo of course already uses the Wiimote in their core games, but for say a first person shooter, or an RTS game for example, Sony's seems the more 'broad' with what it can do.

I don't think Sony's controller will make the Spring 2010 release though, and if it slips, Microsoft will have Natal's massive ad campaign lined up to steal the limelight.[/quote]

Microsoft already started with the GMA and jimmy fallon stunt. If it was a battle of hype and marketing MS would completely stomp Sony and nintendo out. But the rumored price of natal might be a big stopping point for them.

The approaches are as different as can be. Nintendo says motion is what makes the wii, but knowing their history their next console might have something else entirely. MS says natal is the way forward, and might even bundle it with thier next console. SOny maintains that the wands are secondary.

Call me old school but I agree with sony on this one and they might come out better because of thier focus.

cpitt

Super Elite
Mar 14, 2007
www.youtube.com
I hope when the sony motion controlls launch, it launches with some great hard core games i dont want it to launch and then wait months for a great game to launch. Maybe a multiplayer arena were you have archers with swords.

And you go around shooting arrows, blocking them, and if your close enough decapitating people with your sword.

Copyright

Elite Guru
Feb 19, 2007
Sony have the better product, but they wont market it right, as always. Microsoft will market the most, and it will sell the most, just because more people will see it. SOny's is so accurate though, out of the box, compared to the wii motion plus, which needs an add-on, and still only looks the same or maybe less!

Jan 11, 2008
www.Thetf.net
You know what I was thinking when I saw the Sony stage demo. . .

• The RTS-->FPS shown could be excellent. Given the power of the PS3, a game for example like 'Total War' or 'Age of Mythology' would be awesome if you can direct your troops, and then join the frontline using the controllers as a sword/shield/bow+arrow.
  • A game like Demons Souls/Zelda could really work well.
It depends if they can get the same visual fidelity in a game like Demons Souls/God of War III/Red Alert 3 whilst using the motion controller. Its obvious Sony's box has more power than the Wii, and can therefore do casual games really well, but the big selling point will be if they can make it work with their core titles - optional of course.

We know for example, one of Sony's strong points this generation is harnessing the cell to do calculations in the background (Physics, Animations, lighting) so maybe it can do the tracking partially or fully in the background on the SPU's.

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
[QUOTE="Galvanise_, post: 0]You know what I was thinking when I saw the Sony stage demo. . .

• The RTS-->FPS shown could be excellent. Given the power of the PS3, a game for example like 'Total War' or 'Age of Mythology' would be awesome if you can direct your troops, and then join the frontline using the controllers as a sword/shield/bow+arrow.
  • A game like Demons Souls/Zelda could really work well.
It depends if they can get the same visual fidelity in a game like Demons Souls/God of War III/Red Alert 3 whilst using the motion controller. Its obvious Sony's box has more power than the Wii, and can therefore do casual games really well, but the big selling point will be if they can make it work with their core titles - optional of course.

We know for example, one of Sony's strong points this generation is harnessing the cell to do calculations in the background (Physics, Animations, lighting) so maybe it can do the tracking partially or fully in the background on the SPU's.[/quote]

I fully agree about the game selection there. Do you think it will take up much processing power to get this tech off the ground?

Jan 11, 2008
www.Thetf.net
[QUOTE="Staticneuron, post: 0]I fully agree about the game selection there. Do you think it will take up much processing power to get this tech off the ground?[/quote]

Looking at the tech, I don't think so. I've seen this exact technology demoed for the PS2, and even then it didn't take up much power. I don't claim to be a technical wizard, but I think Sony could theoretically use the Camera for ducking/leaning/headtracking, the light tracking in the wands and the regular game processing needs. If the code is good, I could see this technology being used in casual games, and 'core' HD games and franchises.

The Cell processor is known as a number cruncher, and the relative position of the wands/head will all be interpreted via numbers (think of a value assigned to the frequency of light given off by the wand, the value of its relative height, a value for the relative width position and a value for the depth, and then the same for 'you' in view of the PSeye). Though this is a simplistic view on the situation, I don't see a reason why SPU's couldn't be used for high level computation in this type of task.

Sony London and Sony Cambridge would be ideal for the casual titles, but I think all of Sony's studios have the skill to use this control input methods in 'core' games, especially seeing as they've had longer to fiddle around with the tech. EA seem on board with it too, and I can't imagine many publishers turning down the opportunity. Whether they go for the casual 'shelf filler' type of game, or something more suited to you or I is another barrel of fish though.

:D

ONQ

Master Guru
Jun 30, 2006
[QUOTE="Metal Militia, post: 0]Definitely seems to be more delay on the MotionPlus than there is with the wand.[/quote]
yeah that's one of the 1st things you notice when they showed the onstage demo of the PS- Motion controller it was moving alot better than the wii mote,

I hope they show more of the wand in the next few months , because I like how you can reach into the games in 3d with both hands, that kinda change everything because 1st person view is going to feel more like you're in the game.

Jan 11, 2008
www.Thetf.net
With the depth perception afforded by this technology (and Natal and M+) games like Oblivion/Fallout 3 could have better integration as you would actually have to reach towards the screen to pick up an item.

B

Bakudannar

What's nice about the PS wand is that it has sub millimeter tracking, which opens the way for some really detailed movement/gestures. I guess they're using the 120fps mode on the PS Eye, combined with accelerometers in the wand to achieve this.

N

Nitro-Physix

[QUOTE="Galvanise_, post: 0]With the depth perception afforded by this technology (and Natal and M+) games like Oblivion/Fallout 3 could have better integration as you would actually have to reach towards the screen to pick up an item.[/quote]

Now that would be awesome!:cool:

ONQ

Master Guru
Jun 30, 2006
[QUOTE="mickice, post: 0]What the Wii mote can't do is depth.[/quote]

and that is what I love the most about this,

new types of games can be made for the PS3 if the Devs put their minds to it.

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
[QUOTE="ONQ, post: 0]and that is what I love the most about this,

new types of games can be made for the PS3 if the Devs put their minds to it.[/quote]

Yup, plus SONY's design can work with up to 4 motes at once, meaning 4 players with 1 wand or 2 players with 2 wands. All being tracked in space.