Sony:Alot rests on the Vita's success after tough 2011

LfCpS3

Master Poster
May 22, 2009
Well with the way they done business so far with the vita, i think they shouldn't be surprised if it doesn't be a big hit.
Quite a bit of mistakes IMO.

F34R

Legend
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="LfCpS3, post: 5745759]Well with the way they done business so far with the vita, i think they shouldn't be surprised if it doesn't be a big hit.
Quite a bit of mistakes IMO.[/QUOTE]

I agree that some of the things are "wtf" moments when you think about it...

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
For the most part, it's looking better than the PSP and PS3 alunches. A lot of people are excited for this, including the majority of gaming insiders and press (which is a good thing for it).

That's definitely a major advantage that it has over the previous, recent Sony console launches.

Nov 23, 2005
[QUOTE="YoungMullah88, post: 5745806]some of the things? lol almost all if not everything business wise about the vita has been a W T F moment from sony....not surprised[/QUOTE]I would not go that far. IMO the only mistake that could hinder the Vitas success is the memory card fiasco, and I am not talking about the pricing scheme but the fact it will be OBLIGATORY for some games. All carts should have mandatory savings and leave the mem cards an OPTION. SONY just never learns when it comes to proprietary things!

Second mistake, probably over-shipping the higher priced SKU, in this economy SONY still doesn't seem to know lower price=more sales. They have that "value" moto that just doesn't sit well right now when the "non-value" alternative offers the same basic gaming experience.

Third mistake, launching in Japan first. With the launch line-up, they would been better off launching in NA/EU!

When banking on the success of hardware, you need to look outside your own offices SONY!!!!

Nov 23, 2005
[QUOTE="YoungMullah88, post: 5745846]3 mistakes is more than enough when it comes to sony! they dont have the kind of leeway nintendo has (and never will), so in that regards, they will always struggle[/QUOTE]2 mistakes can be fixed going forward. You can't go back to launch day and change territory.

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="snooper71, post: 5745835]I would not go that far. IMO the only mistake that could hinder the Vitas success is the memory card fiasco, and I am not talking about the pricing scheme but the fact it will be OBLIGATORY for some games. All carts should have mandatory savings and leave the mem cards an OPTION. SONY just never learns when it comes to proprietary things!Second mistake, probably over-shipping the higher priced SKU, in this economy SONY still doesn't seem to know lower price=more sales. They have that "value" moto that just doesn't sit well right now when the "non-value" alternative offers the same basic gaming experience.Third mistake, launching in Japan first. With the launch line-up, they would been better off launching in NA/EU!When banking on the success of hardware, you need to look outside your own offices SONY!!!![/QUOTE]Those are some very good points.

B

benjiro

[QUOTE="snooper71, post: 5745835]
Third mistake, launching in Japan first. With the launch line-up, they would been better off launching in NA/EU!

When banking on the success of hardware, you need to look outside your own offices SONY!!!![/QUOTE]

Its not exactly a mistake that Sony launched first in Japan. But pure old fashion business patriotism. And it also allows them to use Japan as a test for future product marketing. They see they have problems with the Vita in Japan, so they will probably make some changes in there strategy.

If they started first in the US/EU, those markets are way bigger. A mistake there, can cost a lot more in potential sales ( or lack of them ).

What you say about SONY needing to look outside more is true, but ... there is a reason why SONY has a bad reputation regarding arrogance. Years ago, when i was in the gaming branch, i had the luxury to have some presentation from SONY. Boy o boy... They sure as hell did not know humility ( and that was there staff in the EU ).

In my opinion its not a mistake to launch first in Japan. Do not forget, that the US/EU launch require way more units also. Now they can fix the problems for the US/EU launch, while the problems have been more or less gone unnoticed. The general public does not stay that much up to date with Information from Japan.

In my order of failure:

* Memory Card Prices. A bit more pricy then the competition is one thing, daring to ask 3 to 4 times the price, is just plain stupid. They had the same problem with the PSP launch, forcing people to use there more expensive format. They do it with almost every product, and it actually hurts them more then they realize. If i need a Sony product, like a TV, and it has some memory storage ( for picture viewing ), and its not a open storage like SD. Its instant: I will look at the competition. If you see the reaction of a lot of people, nobody is happy with those prices.

* Unit Price: Now, most people where happy, when the price was "only" 250$, because people expected more expensive prices. The problem is, after the initial happiness, people did realize that 250$ is not exactly cheap. Especially when the full gaming consoles ( PS3/Xbox360 / ...) are now at that price or lower.

* Unit Price: When Nintendo dropped there price radically, it seems to have taken Sony by surprise. Sony assume that the price was going to stay high for the 3DS. Big mistake again. Then they also launched there product, right along the time when several "hits" from the cheaper 3DS came out. This is not exactly a surprise that it was going to hurt sales.

* Game prices: Unfortunately this again. Nobody expect Sony to sell the games cheap, but a bit more realistic pricing in this economy is advice. Everybody with some gaming expierence on a handheld, know that most launch titles, in general are

a) Short as hell
b) Mostly limited replay value
c) Expensive

They again tried to overcompensate by going overboard with there prices. Console games are know to be expensive, but these prices are not exactly acceptable, especially when some of those games do not even have a 10h playtime.

Ridge Racer as a launch title, was really ... borrrrrrring. Done to dead. And was more a expensive Demo.

* Launching in Japan, with no big JRPG, or other product supporting the launch. Mistake.

* Tables / Smartphones are eating in the product range.

I can go on, but lets be honest. I predicted part of this a while ago before the launch.

The main problem is the general price. Console, Game, Memory Card, and your already reaching for a complete Console/PC price. When people are already gaming on there smartphones/tablets, where they buy cheap / short games, but games they still are. The reason why the 3DS is selling so good NOW is just two fold: PRICE!! and desired games.

People that are already in the smartphone/table group, have no problem picking up a gaming console, but its to supplement there smartphone/table. A cheap 3DS or even older PSP fits that bill. Its a nice extra. Where as the Vita just hurts the pocket way too much to be considered a nice Extra. At that moment: Exit Casual gamers. You clearly can see from the sales numbers. First days: Hardcore handheld gamers. After that, the market needed to move to the Casual Gamers, but it did not. They moved to the 3DS or even the older PSP. The fact that the PSP outsell the PSV said it all. It has cheaper games because its already longer on the market, where you find a lot of discounted games, some games on the PSP are the same as the PSV minus the graphics ( Ridge Racer ), and the PSP costs almost nothing. And the memory card for the PSP is WAY cheaper thanks to competition / convertors.

In fact, Sony is for a part, competing with itself.

If Sony wants to succeeded in the US/EU markets, there is only one answer: Drop the price a LOT. Especially on the console. Move into the 200$ or lower range. Even with some more western focused games, casual gamers are not lining up like the "hardcore" gamers. Especially, with this economy.

Also, take in account, those sales numbers for Japan, probably also include EU/US customers buying worldwide because they want to have it fast. I did that also with the PSP, what a wast of money. Just going on eBay, and you can buy lots of those Vita's or the other Asian sites that sell directly.

DarkVincent07

Trying not to break stuff...
Mar 4, 2008
Sydney
I think everything will work out fine.

The launch games appeal more to the West (Uncharted) and it will have a slow start, because 1) its a new console that people still don't know about and 2) the 3DS was all doom and gloom and failure in the media around its launch. Now look at it.

tbx59

Apprentice
Jun 4, 2010
[QUOTE="YoungMullah88, post: 5745846]3 mistakes is more than enough when it comes to sony! they dont have the kind of leeway nintendo has (and never will), so in that regards, they will always struggle[/QUOTE]

True to a point: Ninty will always sell at profit and hit at least their audience (if the others are rightly dude-bros, then they are man-childs); but, Sony and MS are not gaming-only brands: sony has movie studios, tv sets and the history of gadgets and proprietary to move; MS getting windows into your living room. Nintendo is always going to make some coin, kids and grown up kids are going to flock there - but, if the handheld market ever does go mostly away, they are going to have a ton of pressure on consoles with nothing to fall back on.

LfCpS3

Master Poster
May 22, 2009
I think one of the biggest mistake was not taking advantage of Christmas, especially in America and European countries.

B

benjiro

[QUOTE="LfCpS3, post: 5746179]I think one of the biggest mistake was not taking advantage of Christmas, especially in America and European countries.[/QUOTE]

True, but they needed a good supply to sell. Japan is more easy, limited market. For a US/EU release, they needed more then a few 100.000 units. On the other hand, Nintendo did have no problem creating a virtual supply problem in the past.

floetry

Forum Guru
Oct 21, 2006
[QUOTE="LfCpS3, post: 5745759]Well with the way they done business so far with the vita, i think they shouldn't be surprised if it doesn't be a big hit.
Quite a bit of mistakes IMO.[/QUOTE]
You forgot that when it comes to mistakes, Sony is consistent. Dating back to 2006.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Sony played it smart by releasing the Vita in February. I could not afford a Vita in December after I bought all those damn Christmas gifts. Tax returns start flowing in around February and the PS Vita will sell like crazy in the states. The price is perfect too. The PSP released with a $250 price tag as well.

jj03

Elite Guru
Apr 7, 2007
my gaming needs are being met...by my ps3 and my android smartphone. the phone is the reason i won't be purchasing the vita. having played dead space on the phone, i'm very happy with it.

tbx59

Apprentice
Jun 4, 2010
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5746979]I think Sony staying in the handheld market is what rests on Vitas shoulder buttons...[/QUOTE]

For sure. Sony is going to need a ps5 or 6 to push some new format or push a super-high-def tv standard or something else, so consoles aren't going to be in jeopardy - handhelds supplement the Playstation brand, not the rest of the Sony cartel, so that would be something they could jettison (but, to be fair, this might very well be their last handheld either way)