Sony and Microsoft agreement

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
All of this generation Sony fanboys have made jokes about the cloud an now Sony is joining Microsoft's cloud platform.

We really live in interesting times.

Jun 4, 2007
I thought you two were dead. You both been quieter than a rat pissing on cotton.

edit:nvm

I'm down for anything that makes the Playstation 5 better. Now bring on those Xbox exclusives to the PS5 via cloud:cool:(not happening)

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
Translation...our cloud service cant compete so we will use Azure.

All of this generation Sony fanboys have made jokes about the cloud an now Sony is joining Microsoft's cloud platform.

We really live in interesting times.
Indeed we do. The damage control and spinning has started already. I remember when sony did that "this is how to you trade games" video making fun of Microsoft. Microsoft should do one showing how to properly provide cloud streaming...lol

I thought you two were dead. You both been quieter than a rat pissing on cotton.

edit:nvm

I'm down for anything that makes the Playstation 5 better. Now bring on those Xbox exclusives to the PS5 via cloud:cool:(not happening)
Are you sure about that? If we are going by your logic, PlayStation is getting ready to die since everything Microsoft touches gets destroyed...lol Wait, aren't you one of the main ones that said Phil was lying about the cloud? Now your "down for anything that makes PlayStation better". Is this what selling over 90 million PlayStation 4's get you?

Last edited:

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under

PSN will still be around and PSNow is going to be even better. The 3 green stooges always says the darnest things^. They think this degrades the playstation brand when it's in fact making it stronger:p. You can tell they're still salty over the ass kicking that the PS4 gave the xbone.

And the cloud tech inside Crackdown 3's mp still sucked:poop:.
Honestly, this is GOOD news for SONY, they were going to be dead next gen, Ive been saying it for a while now, their server infrastructure cant compete with MS, yet alone Google.
This was a smart move.

May 20, 2008
Yep, this is good news for Sony and bad news for fanboys invested in the console war. I figured they would be partnering with someone but I would of never guessed it would be Microsoft. Could this be one of the reasons Sony pulled out of E3?

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
Don't be so foolish as to think that this agreement only benefits Sony here. Also, I wonder if this came to be due to Google entering the streaming market? Looking forward to seeing what this means for the long term.

Apple's also looking for a way into gaming with the Apple Arcade. Interesting times.

Last edited:

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Yeah personally im not for cloud streaming these companies want to destroy physical copies of our games and want complete control of it all despite google joining the market the move is surprising but it makes sense they all want to create a Netflix of gaming. Things are not looking good for the future of the game industry.
I wonder what some people do on these forums this is a Sony based site.

May 20, 2008
Yeah personally im not for cloud streaming these companies want to destroy physical copies of our games and want complete control of it all despite google joining the market the move is surprising but it makes sense they all want to create a Netflix of gaming. Things are not looking good for the future of the game industry.
I wonder what some people do on these forums this is a Sony based site.
Not anymore. We are all family now.?

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Translation...our cloud service cant compete so we will use Azure.
There are only three platforms that offer the service, on a global scale: Google, AWS, and Azure (MS). I don't think Sony ever had a competing service and probably piggybacked on AWS.

Azure, as best as i can tell, is the only one that has a "gaming" inclination. Google, until recently, wasn't much interested (i think they come out bottom for this use specifically), and AWS tend to have pretty rigid terms (and can be very pricey from what i've seen - even for enterprise). But, it should also be noted that "Cloud" is just a marketing term in a similar fashion to "blockchain". In this way, "Cloud" is an umbrella term that covers many things. Google wouldn't be where they were if they were actually bottom of the pile across all their services. Google typically stand out above AWS and Azure in many other ways.

If you use Google drive, or OneDrive, you are cloud computing yourself. It's a far cry from intense gaming, but what it does offer is convenience, since you can pick up your work literally anywhere there is an internet connection. This extends to enterprise solutions. You can build your network infrastructure around that convenience. You don't really have to worry about CDN partners etc. (it should literally all be Azure now).

Realistically, this is more of an 'Intel using integrated AMD graphics' type story than what i imagine people think it is. I imagine people are seeing this as more of an 'Intel are using AMD cpus' type story. MS didn't invest billions in Azure to then be snobbish. If a company want to use the service, it's there for use.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Not anymore. We are all family now.?
Well for the time being. I enjoyed the ps2 days when i felt the consoles games were so different from each other. Several consoles having the same games im not a fan of the idea. I like games that give a reason to buy a console for like normal xbox had more pc like games etc. Developers felt like they wanted to make the best games they could now they just want to do less and makes as much money as possible.

May 20, 2008
There are only three platforms that offer the service, on a global scale: Google, AWS, and Azure (MS). I don't think Sony ever had a competing service and probably piggybacked on AWS.
Oh I think they tried but finally realize the magnitude of building a competing service. It's very expensive and it probably would take Sony 10 years or more to produce a service like Azure, AWS and google. Like I said before, Microsoft's biggest competitors are Google, Apple and Amazon, not Sony. The Xbox live vs PSN debates should be put to rest now. If people didnt know before, they know now who has the better service infrastructure.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Oh I think they tried but finally realize the magnitude of building a competing service.
Not too sure what the PSN vs XBL debate is, but Sony has never been in the cloud business (hence the piggyback on AWS).

MS Azure =/= XBL. MS have the good fortune to integrate it for sure (since it's theirs), but the PSN, XBL, Steam, Epic store, etc. are all content delivery platforms - See note above re: "cloud".

Azure provides what was there previously, and more, to the end user (both consumer and enterprise). This is everything from content delivery, to ad optimisation, data backup (both big and small), compute, but also crucially scalability, compatibility, and more. It's not simply the ability to go onto a storefront and click 'buy' - coz you can do that literally anywhere (even from home).

If you want to try to understand the difference in scale, and why they might be very useful for enterprise; Google still has yet to be DDosed. This is the scale of AWS, Google, and Azure. If you are curious as to why, you can read up on SaaS, laas, and Paas (you can broadly define the cloud under these services, and understand the scale required).
Sure, people will still DDos these services, but the effectiveness will be greatly reduced. You'd literally need to fill the transatlantic cables to stop the network from being able to respond.

Microsoft's biggest competitors are Google, Apple and Amazon, not Sony.
I think you've confused what the service (ie "Cloud") does, because Apple are still beholden to AWS (and others). The only real players are Google, AWS, and Azure. If you wanted to stretch, you could say facebook - but i personally wouldn't consider them as offering the same services, especially for the consumer (plenty for their ad partners tho).

May 20, 2008
Not too sure what the PSN vs XBL debate is, but Sony has never been in the cloud business (hence the piggyback on AWS).
Not until they bought Gaikai, which means they did have plans to establish some sort of cloud based service on a larger scale. They had to piggyback off someone because they just don't have the infrastructure to take on a project like this. But like I said before Microsoft doesn't see sony as one of their biggest competitors and this deal sort of shows it.

As far as the PSN vs XBL debates goes, I remember all those debates years ago about how Microsoft moving their cloud services over to Azure wouldn't give them any advantages over sony with Gaikai. Yes, there were plenty of debates about it. But this is good for Sony because it allows them to focus on their platform and not have to worry about technical issues and stuff as much.

But I have one question. How the hell you say no to crossplay but then go ahead and do a deal like this?...lol

MS Azure =/= XBL. MS have the good fortune to integrate it for sure (since it's theirs), but the PSN, XBL, Steam, Epic store, etc. are all content delivery platforms - See note above re: "cloud".

Azure provides what was there previously, and more, to the end user (both consumer and enterprise). This is everything from content delivery, to ad optimisation, data backup (both big and small), compute, but also crucially scalability, compatibility, and more. It's not simply the ability to go onto a storefront and click 'buy' - coz you can do that literally anywhere (even from home).

If you want to try to understand the difference in scale, and why they might be very useful for enterprise; Google still has yet to be DDosed. This is the scale of AWS, Google, and Azure. If you are curious as to why, you can read up on SaaS, laas, and Paas (you can broadly define the cloud under these services, and understand the scale required).
Sure, people will still DDos these services, but the effectiveness will be greatly reduced. You'd literally need to fill the transatlantic cables to stop the network from being able to respond.
I'm somewhat aware of what these cloud services are capable of. The DOD has been using exclusive Azure data centers for years now.

I think you've confused what the service (ie "Cloud") does, because Apple are still beholden to AWS (and others). The only real players are Google, AWS, and Azure. If you wanted to stretch, you could say facebook - but i personally wouldn't consider them as offering the same services, especially for the consumer (plenty for their ad partners tho).
Im not confused. Even though Apple isn't a major player Microsoft still sees them as more a competitor than sony for obvious reasons.

Jun 4, 2007

Sub is ignorant on the subject. He thinks Sony had their own cloud business and that they failed. Buying Gaikai and Onlive was all about the tech and patents they held in cloud gaming. He simply wants to count this deal as some sort of MS victory all because the PS4 crushed the xbone. As you clearly explained, which I doubt he'll still understand, Sony could have went with other cloud providers. It's strictly business and MS provided Sony with the best deal for them to expand their services. MS will get more than just Azure fees out of the deal. It's a win-win that he can't see.

Acryllicaltair is no better. He thinks people picked on MS due to using Azure for their xbox services. That's just dumb and he knows it. He's butthurt from all the Crackdown 3 and MS "Power of the Cloud" jokes. Interesting tech that wasn't used to the degree that MS hyped it up to be. It quickly became an afterthought because the end product was lackluster. It takes 12 xbox one's to run C3 mp. That's not really an accomplishment you want to brag about.

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
Sub is ignorant on the subject. He thinks Sony had their own cloud business and that they failed.
What happened to you not reading my posts anymore?

But anyway, not cloud business but cloud service. PSnow is a cloud based service and it doesn't have the power to deliver what they wanted on a global scale. Azure can do for PSnow what it will do for Xcloud. I wouldn't say sony failed but I wouldn't call it success either. They did what they had to do. Its not a "if you cant beat 'em, join 'em" thing. Its more like they would of been left behind because it would take them a decade or more to have anything to compete.

He simply wants to count this deal as some sort of MS victory all because the PS4 crushed the xbone. As you clearly explained, which I doubt he'll still understand, Sony could have went with other cloud providers. It's strictly business and MS provided Sony with the best deal for them to expand their services. MS will get more than just Azure fees out of the deal. It's a win-win that he can't see.
Victory? I would call it a good achievement. You even said it yourself by calling it a win-win, and sony could of went with other cloud providers. Were family now, bro. This is just the beginning. Next up:

Acryllicaltair is no better. He thinks people picked on MS due to using Azure for their xbox services. That's just dumb and he knows it. He's butthurt from all the Crackdown 3 and MS "Power of the Cloud" jokes. Interesting tech that wasn't used to the degree that MS hyped it up to be. It quickly became an afterthought because the end product was lackluster. It takes 12 xbox one's to run C3 mp. That's not really an accomplishment you want to brag about.
All I know is plenty of you sony guys was saying that all the Azure talk was just PR stuff and sony could do the same if they wanted to. If they could why didn't they? Look at the bright side. At least when your service goes down you don't have to blame sony anymore.;)

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
Lookk, pSN x/Xbox live have to have a place where people.
1/Log on
2/ Cloud saves (this is deault on MS I tbink a part of PSN subscription?
3/ Download digital games
4/ Share content with other players

This is all on a cloud service.
Im not sure who they used before, but upgrading to Azure is a huge bonus.

Ive seen that people have talked about stadia, and yes thats part of this agreement.
But the first part of this agreement is all about Sony investigating the option (and it is only an option) to upgrade PSN onto Azure servers.

Realistically this should result in faster downloads and less outages.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Victory? I would call it a good achievement. You even said it yourself by calling it a win-win, and sony could of went with other cloud providers. Were family now, bro. This is just the beginning. Next up:

All I know is plenty of you sony guys was saying that all the Azure talk was just PR stuff and sony could do the same if they wanted to. If they could why didn't they? Look at the bright side. At least when your service goes down you don't have to blame sony anymore.;)
Well for the games and the cloud side of things they are working on the technology side of things on both ends. Doesn't mean they were will do vice versa with PS Now coming to Xbox or Xbox Game Pass coming to Playstation.

But with this Californian management im unsure what will happen but I don't like the way it's going.
Personally I wouldn't want the idea of sharing games on every console well the Sony that we know wouldn't want that so they had the same stance with cross-play. I mentioned the reasons why before.
If it goes well it goes well if not it will be a Sony/Nintendo situation all over again.

Jun 4, 2007
Game & Network Services
The two keywords for the future direction of PlayStation® are “immersive” and “seamless.”
- Next-generation console: “Immersive” experience created by dramatically increased graphics rendering speeds, achieved through the employment of further improved computational power and a customized ultra-fast, broadband SSD.
- PlayStation streaming: Through the evolution of “Remote Play” and “PlayStation™Now,” provide a seamless game experience anytime, anywhere.
  • Remote Play: Turns PlayStation®4(PS4™), which is expected to reach 100 million units in cumulative sales this calendar year, into a streaming game server, providing streaming content at the closest point to users.
  • PlayStation Now: Provides immersive game experiences to users regardless of whether they own a PS4 console at all.
Sony will pursue its mission to make PlayStation “The Best Place to Play” by leveraging the latest computing, streaming, cloud, and 5G technologies, together with excellent content.
  • As part of these efforts, Sony agreed to a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with Microsoft Corp. (Microsoft) to collaborate on the development of cloud solutions, including game streaming services
https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/news/20190521_E.pdf

Last edited:

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Not until they bought Gaikai, which means they did have plans to establish some sort of cloud based service on a larger scale. They had to piggyback off someone because they just don't have the infrastructure to take on a project like this. But like I said before Microsoft doesn't see sony as one of their biggest competitors and this deal sort of shows it.
Yup, you can consider Gaikai an attempt to move to cloud gaming, but as i said above; "Cloud" is just marketing term; It is a subset of what you get from a cloud service. As you pointed out yourself, the DOD uses cloud servers. I doubt they're using them for gaming.

But I have one question. How the hell you say no to crossplay but then go ahead and do a deal like this?...lol
It's like the example i posted above. Intel are fine using AMD graphics -> hence the integrated Intel CPU's with AMD graphics. But you wouldn't see them using AMD cpu's.

This is just the beginning. Next up:

It's important to keep in mind that this is a Sony level deal. Not specifically a playstation one.

There is use outside "just" gaming, as i've been trying to say. Sony still support a smartphone division (no idea of its health, but literally never heard of a flagship so probs wayward). But there is use in Sony camera's, and here they do actually lead the market with their mirrorless cameras afaik. Looking at how software allowed Google's single lens Google phone to exceed what other flagships managed with a whole camera array, you can see the potential value to a camera that was trained to get the best shot from a single click of the button.

Even if you keep the scope with just gaming, you can move your first party onto Azure, and increase intra-team collaboration. You could literally have an Admin oversee Naughty Dog teams, working with Santa Monica teams, then at a whim decide to bring in whomever else from wherever company (just an example) and they'd essentially have access to the same files as the other teams. You could conceivably do this in a single afternoon if it was your intent to work the network that way. This then leads to integration with Visual Studio, Visual Studio code, and Github (with the latter recently being purchased by MS)...

You can use the cloud for a multitude of things... but "Cloud" video gaming streaming will always suck monkey nutts ;)

Jun 4, 2007
It appears Sony will be in the best position to fight back against Google, Amazon and Apple game streaming services now that they're moving to Azure. Playstation brand is huge.

May 20, 2008
It appears Sony will be in the best position to fight back against Google, Amazon and Apple game streaming services now that they're moving to Azure. Playstation brand is huge.

Now that their using Azure? Not long ago ,according to you azure wasn't worth crap and would have no real benefits over PSnow ,but now all of a sudden it's supposed to give Sony the edge?
Yup, you can consider Gaikai an attempt to move to cloud gaming, but as i said above; "Cloud" is just marketing term; It is a subset of what you get from a cloud service. As you pointed out yourself, the DOD uses cloud servers. I doubt they're using them for gaming.

It's like the example i posted above. Intel are fine using AMD graphics -> hence the integrated Intel CPU's with AMD graphics. But you wouldn't see them using AMD cpu's.

It's important to keep in mind that this is a Sony level deal. Not specifically a playstation one.

There is use outside "just" gaming, as i've been trying to say. Sony still support a smartphone division (no idea of its health, but literally never heard of a flagship so probs wayward). But there is use in Sony camera's, and here they do actually lead the market with their mirrorless cameras afaik. Looking at how software allowed Google's single lens Google phone to exceed what other flagships managed with a whole camera array, you can see the potential value to a camera that was trained to get the best shot from a single click of the button.

Even if you keep the scope with just gaming, you can move your first party onto Azure, and increase intra-team collaboration. You could literally have an Admin oversee Naughty Dog teams, working with Santa Monica teams, then at a whim decide to bring in whomever else from wherever company (just an example) and they'd essentially have access to the same files as the other teams. You could conceivably do this in a single afternoon if it was your intent to work the network that way. This then leads to integration with Visual Studio, Visual Studio code, and Github (with the latter recently being purchased by MS)...

You can use the cloud for a multitude of things... but "Cloud" video gaming streaming will always suck monkey nutts ;)
It doesn't matter how you look at it or if it's a PlayStation or Sony deal. Sony made this deal because they knew they were in a bind. They knew they couldn't reach all the gamers they wanted to with Gaikai. It just wasn't built for that.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2007
Now that their using Azure all of a sudden it's supposed to give Sony the edge?
Are you in shock? You can't stomach the fact that Xbox is playing catch up? Let me repeat it for you.

Playstation has the edge over Xbox and that boils your diarrhea that they're going to be using Azure to do it with.

Last edited:

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
People will still buy Playstation or Xbox never-the-less it does not mean omg Sony is doomed again.
It is true. This is all transparent to the average gamer. Do most know/care that Netflix runs on Amazon? Does it matter that Netflix and Amazon are competitors in the video streaming market? It is interesting how these corporations find ways to compete and cooperate at the same time, but it shouldn't be that much of a shock really. Azure is a big business for Microsoft. Much bigger than Xbox ever will be. And Sony will be a key client.....if/when the deal is done.