Sony boss: We've resurrected our PS1 dev attitude

Nuvian

Master Sage
Feb 4, 2008
Studio 'has returned to its studio-friendly roots', Yoshida says

Sony returned to its dev-friendly era in building the PSP2, according to the man in charge of the firm’s global fleet of studios.

SCE Worldwide Studio boss Shuhei Yoshida appears to have personally encouraged a developer-first approach in building the new handheld – something he had pledged to do last year.

In a new interview, Yoshida said the input of external developers “has been essential for us to make final decisions on PSP2”.

“As a result of this, we went through many iterations of PSP2,” he said.

“It reminded me of the early days of the original PlayStation, when we visited many developers and publishers to get feedback during the development of that product.”

Last year, in an exclusive interview with Develop, Yoshida admitted that the PS3 was a big challenge for developers to work with.

That console, Ken Kutaragi’s last, is one of extraordinary power and complexity but had exposed Sony as putting itself before game development partners.

Those days are over, Yoshida said in a new interview on the PlayStation Blog.

“It's almost as if SCE has gone back to basics, which should be a good thing,” he said.
Source

This will benefit us as gamers :)

Galvanise_

Forum Sage
Jan 11, 2008
www.Thetf.net
Very good. I'm excited to see the new relationships that can be forged between the smaller developers and Sony as time goes by. If its less hassle to work with Sony and they achieve success, developers will go back to Sony.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
WOW!! Look at the quality and skill we have now for the PS3. Alot of devs have said how awesome their working relationship is with Sony is, and it has clearly manifested with the NGP. If Sony takes this approach for PS4, and then has the backing of the likes of Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog and legends like Kojima and Jaffe, then it will be an amazing generation of gaming for Sony.

Silvy

Master Guru
Sep 29, 2010
North Carolina
Well, they need to give some of that ps1 attitude games Final fantasy 7.
EDIT:While sony is at it i'll take Legend of the dragoon to. :)

Last edited:

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
If SONY has gone back to dev friendly roots watch out MS and Nintendo xD I can feel another slaughter like the late 90's coming.

Like I said in another thread, SONY built the PS3 for SONY first and developers second. This has been apparent from day 1. Sure the first party devs have excelled far beyond what was initially predicted but the 3rd party devs have fallen by the wayside in the process.

Silvy

Master Guru
Sep 29, 2010
North Carolina
[QUOTE="FonFahbre, post: 5472758]Good to hear. Hopefully the PS4 follows this also.[/QUOTE]

I agree if they didn't have that ps2 attitude on the ps3 we wouldn't be in last place.

higgos22

Master Guru
Feb 8, 2009
Basics sold 100million PLaystations then 150million PS2's or something so not a bad idea
However I do enjoy PS3 alot! but this could make some great portable games