PLAYSTATION Sony Conference: June 11, 6 p.m. PT

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
I can see were Sony were trying to go with the presentation... but probably should have made it a bit more of an intimate affair, rather than scooting about everywhere.

I like that they highlighted the musical scores, but this could just as easily have been done with a proper orchestra backing those guys on a single stage. It would have looked less awkward too.

That aside, The Last of Us 2 looks damn amazing, and Death stranding looks very intriguing!

I'm making time for The Last of Us. I don't often get time to sit through an entire game nowadays, but will try to make time for it.

The TLC in TLoU2 is insane tho! damn!

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
As expected the exclusives look amazing. Naughty Dog set the bar again I wasn't sure if it was a good idea for a sequel of Last of Us since the original was so good. Ghost of Tsushima world looks pretty as well as Death Stranding looking interesting and mysterious Lea Seydoux in a videogame.
I wished the conference had more surprises and they need to change the presenting style I prefer the way they done it in the past opposed to the more recent PS Experience .

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Watched the 4K trailer, and not the potato stream, and damn...

This is the first game i've seen this generation where the push for graphics has served more than just "pretty lights", and flashy effects. The detail in how these people take damage (Ellie kinda notwithstanding) lends itself to the shithole world the story takes place in. That stuff was grim at the end. Dude just got executed. Blood stated seeping out his neck after the first swing...

Introspectively, i feel a lot of players are going to do things they would rather not do (and they'll know they're doing it) just for Ellie, Joel, and the characters in that world.

That's (imho) amazing levels of storytelling, just from the visuals!

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
Naughty Dog delivers once again; they really are the goose that lays the golden egg for Sony.

I was not bothered by Spiderman when they announced it, and nothing has changed with what they showed. For a game that is supposed to release this year, I would have thought that they would have had a live show for it.

I can understand what they showed of Ghost of Tsushima, they wanted to show what the game was going to play like but maybe the show came too soon. Like the direction that game is going.

What has me confused in Death Stranding. Still nothing on gameplay despite the long trailer.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I hated the Sony conference. I enjoyed the game footage but overall I was left feeling disappointed.

I also really hated the location Sony held the conference at. It just didn't feel like E3.

Dec 20, 2006
7.5/10 Show for me. Just felt off overall. but nice surprises.

-And most of that score comes from GHOST OF TSUSHIMA. HOLY SHIT. THAT WAS EASILY THE BEST LOOKING GAME AT E3. THE SWORDPLAY OMG. HOW IS THIS OPEN WORLD AND STILL MANAGED TO LOOK BETTER THAN GOD OF WAR???

-Spiderman looked great, but I'm not interested in the character. I like flashier superheroes.

-TLOU Part 2 underwhelmed me. It looked like I thought it would, and the melee was highly scripted/contextual/cinematic as opposed to actually skill based, just like TLOU and every other Uncharted. Also, I love Ellie but narratively I can't get immersed in it because it's not believable when it's trying to be a 'grounded' game; I can't suspend disbelief that a tiny, malnourished chick is doing all this by herself without Joel as back up.

-Death Stranding raised more questions than answers but at least we saw some traversal gameplay. It looked beautiful and mysterious. Day one regardless of my questions.

-Daracine, nice. A From Software exclusive on VR dealing with spirits. I need to get VR sooner or later.

-NIOH 2!!!!

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I'll be watching both conferences tonight. Doesn't sound like there were any surprises though. Did they at least properly reveal MediEvil remastered?

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Would anyone mind making a thread for the Resident Evil 2 Remake trailers? Actually surprised one hasn't already been made, knowing the amount of coverage it usually gets on PSU.

-Dj-

Veteran
May 8, 2009
Would anyone mind making a thread for the Resident Evil 2 Remake trailers? Actually surprised one hasn't already been made, knowing the amount of coverage it usually gets on PSU.
we need people visiting the site first

any game that does not a get release date i don't care. i already made a mistake pre-ordering agent 11 years ago

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
I think Death Stranding being "weird" or "different" is what makes it interesting right now. I really wasn't interested in it until they showed gameplay this time and how the "enemy" is being handled. Love that you can't see 'em.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
I think Death Stranding being "weird" or "different" is what makes it interesting right now. I really wasn't interested in it until they showed gameplay this time and how the "enemy" is being handled. Love that you can't see 'em.
They had a showcase that featured characters mainly walking around. There is nothing impressive in that. If this was anyone else other than Kojima, questions would be flying around. The man is a legend at his craft, but that trailer had nothing.

Show some combat.....something.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
I'm not sure you can give show a single rating after this effort by Sony.

Exclusive content shown 10/10
Multiplat content shown 2/5
Presentation 1/5

I guess that 13/20 or a 6.5

KungMartin90

Dedicated Member
Sep 6, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
I'm not sure you can give show a single rating after this effort by Sony.

Exclusive content shown 10/10
Multiplat content shown 2/5
Presentation 1/5

I guess that 13/20 or a 6.5
Exclusive content is all I, as a PS fan, give a damn about. Literally do not care about anything else but the exclusives. Don't care about boring babbling, I wanna see games. And that's what Sony's been giving us since PSX. I'm loving it. Obviously this is a subjective topic, so no point in arguing about it.

My rating: 11/10

Also, as far as the lack of gameplay in Death Stranding, it has to do with the fact that the gameplay mechanics are in a very early stage, and wasn't ready to be shown. But Kojima is known for epic gameplay, so I'm not worried ONE bit.

Oh and also, at the end of the day, it's the GAMES that will do the talking. Or rather, the sales numbers will do the talking, thanks to the games. Not based on how much of a circus their E3 conference was.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
Exclusive content is all I, as a PS fan, give a damn about. Literally do not care about anything else but the exclusives. Don't care about boring babbling, I wanna see games. And that's what Sony's been giving us since PSX. I'm loving it. Obviously this is a subjective topic, so no point in arguing about it.

My rating: 11/10

Also, as far as the lack of gameplay in Death Stranding, it has to do with the fact that the gameplay mechanics are in a very early stage, and wasn't ready to be shown. But Kojima is known for epic gameplay, so I'm not worried ONE bit.

Oh and also, at the end of the day, it's the GAMES that will do the talking. Or rather, the sales numbers will do the talking, thanks to the games. Not based on how much of a circus their E3 conference was.
Perhaps they should just go the Nintendo route then, if trailers is all they have to show, then just do that.
Don't make people sit thorugh 90 mins to sift thrugh and wait for the gems to show up.
They didn't need a stage, they had nothing to announce.

https://coldfusgaming.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/tomb-raider.png

Oh ouch.

Not sure it was fake, highly scripted for sure and hard to make out what was player interaciton and what was the game taking over.
There was one scene when she gets caught and dodges the guys knife attack that seemed off to me. Ellie was set to dodge before the attacker was on her, or the player could have known he was.

KungMartin90

Dedicated Member
Sep 6, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
Perhaps they should just go the Nintendo route then, if trailers is all they have to show, then just do that.
Don't make people sit thorugh 90 mins to sift thrugh and wait for the gems to show up.
They didn't need a stage, they had nothing to announce.
They had nothing to announce? All the trailers were announcements m8?

I can think of one thing they could have used the stage for. Shawn shoulda walked up on it at the end, dropped the mic, and left.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
They had nothing to announce? All the trailers were announcements m8?

I can think of one thing they could have used the stage for. Shawn shoulda walked up on it at the end, dropped the mic, and left.
Not sure they were announcements. They certainly weren't first reveals either.
The actual two announcements got zero stage time which is a pity.
Would have loved to see Remedy and Capcom on stage discussing Control and RE 2 remake.

Pick of the show was Ghost for me.

KungMartin90

Dedicated Member
Sep 6, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
Not sure they were announcements. They certainly weren't first reveals either.
The actual two announcements got zero stage time which is a pity.
Would have loved to see Remedy and Capcom on stage discussing Control and RE 2 remake.

Pick of the show was Ghost for me.
Yes. Ghost looks absolutely ridiculous. Can't wait for that game to release. My life will literally be that game x'D

Jun 4, 2007
Ghost of Tsushima - This game is going to be something special. Especially if the leaked details are real. Sucker Punch may very well have my favorite new i.p for the 2nd generation in a row.

The Last of Us Pt 2 - It's not just a lazy sequel. They've stepped it up big time with the gameplay. There's so many details mentioned in this video about the upgrades to the gameplay. It's so brutal. Gore doesn't bother me so I can't wait to shoot someone in the head or stomach and see the end result.

Spider-Man - I've been sold on this game since the reveal. It's easily going to take the crown for best spider-man game ever.

Death Stranding - I'm not feeling it. Whatever message he tried to send with this demo clearly didn't come out right.

Sony had so many exclusives covering multiple genres. They have me spoiled. AA and indies on top of the AAA's.

Last edited:

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
Pretty good E3 this year overall but not as good as some previous ones. For me, Sony and Bethesda had the best games I'm looking forward to. I'm pretty intrigued by the new Bethesda game Starfield. They're known for making huge, epic games. Perhaps they looked at No Mans Sky and said "how can we do something like that but improve upon it in every possible way?". I hope we get more details.

As for the rest, there's a lot to cover:

Dreams seems like a lot of fun. The ability to literally create minigames within a game including scoring your own music is pretty cool.

Spyro remastered looks great. Ghost of Tsushima looks great. Many of the games people already mentioned look promising.

Not sure why they decided to make a Rage 2 since Rage 1 literally made me rage quit. lol But it looks like they improved a lot.

Elder Scrolls VI will probably be awesome as usual with that series.

Death Stranding I can't quite figure out yet but looks promising.

Cyberpunk looks ridiculous. The whole future setting with powers and guns and mechs has been beaten like a dead horse in recent years. The same goes for Anthem. No thank you. Why does everything have to look like Destiny/Halo clones?! Enough already! Just like all these games adding a Battle Royale feature....enough already! /endrant :)

KH3 looks pretty much how I'd expect a KH game to be. A shame it's not coming out until January 2019 though. Should've come out about 8-10 years ago imo.

TLOU2 gameplay didn't impress me that much but if it's anything like the first game, the story is what kept my attention. Looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Not sure why they decided to make a Rage 2 since Rage 1 literally made me rage quit. lol But it looks like they improved a lot.
I thought Rage was pretty good. Except for how the game abruptly ended out of nowhere just as it was getting really good.

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
I thought Rage was pretty good. Except for how the game abruptly ended out of nowhere just as it was getting really good.
I really enjoyed the beginning of the game. The humor and world felt great. The color palette used every shade of brown known to mankind. lol

Truth be told, there was a race I had to complete and no matter how many times I raced and what I did, I never won the race. I finally got fed up with it and moved on to other games. It pissed me off that just because I couldn't finish the race, I couldn't progress anymore in the game. Maybe I'll give it another chance at some point but like you and many others have said, apparently the ending left a lot to be desired.

H

Hedon

The show itself wasn't very good. However Sushi looks awesome. I have watched the trailer 5 times now. Glad to see we are getting Nioh 2 as well. Spiderman and Death Stranding looked bad. The Last of Us 2 looks like it should be another 17 million selling title.