Sony expects to see a lot of new PS VR game releases this year

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
PlayStation VR will heat up this year, Sony reckons.

Sony expects to see about 130 new game releases for PS VR by the end of 2018, up from the 60 PS VR games it had in the works over late 2017 and early 2018.

Currently, there are 150 PS VR titles, so we’re looking at an 80% increase over 12 months. The platform holder made the prediction speaking to Nikkei, as translated by Siliconera.

The reason game releases will pick up, Sony said, is that the newly-established PS VR install base of 2 million makes it more worthwhile for third-party publishers.

This number was achieved thanks to a late 2017 price cut to the PSVR, making it arguably the most affordable virtually reality set up, since the PC specs required for Oculus and Vive can be a little demanding – not to mention the price of controllers and so on. (On the total opposite end of the scale, HTC today announced the Vive Pro, an HD upgrade we expect to be pretty pricey.)

VR games and experiences are still finding their feet, but there are some pretty stand out titles even among the more tightly curated, single-format PS VR offerings. Monster of the Deep: Final Fantasy XV is a great time if you like fishing and lads. Superhot VR makes the tactical slow-mo shooter even more of a head trip. Batman: Arkham VR is a brief but delightful bat-fantasy, and if we’re talking fantasies then Star Trek: Bridge Crew is a dream come true. Thumper is accurately described as “rhythm action horror”.

For something a bit different, check out Accounting+, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, I Expect You To Die or early VR poster child Job Simulator. And then of course there’s Bethesda’s line-up – DOOM VFR, Fallout 4 VR and Skyrim VR – and all the VR-optional games like Resident Evil 7 and Driveclub. It’s a far cry from the “but there are no games” banana we see all the time from naysayers.

Last edited:

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
At least they are trying this time. Good for VR folk. I won't care the wasted investments as long as they don't take time from A class first party devs.

R

Rush3d

At least they are trying this time.
My thoughts exactly. Usually at this point Sony is in the phase of "pretending the thing never existed" but this time around it seems like they really try to make it work.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I am very pleased with the efforts from Sony. I love my PS VR and I feel they did a great job with this device. I am still hoping for a more expensive model that will increase the resolution. Maybe use the same display as the Galaxy S8 or Note 8.

Aug 26, 2014
I am very pleased with the efforts from Sony. I love my PS VR and I feel they did a great job with this device. I am still hoping for a more expensive model that will increase the resolution. Maybe use the same display as the Galaxy S8 or Note 8.
I agree. Sony has done a great job with VR. I hope the next version comes out with the PS5 able to do 4K.

Sylar

Elite Sage
Aug 30, 2008
UK
I’ve been tempted to get VR and I think the promise of more games and the price deal might swing it!

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
VR will always be at least half a generation behind... Just the nature of it. VR uses more resources. I doubt we'll see 4k VR games, though an upgrade that' s more along the lines of Vive or Oculus Rift CV is possible. Maybe some other upgrades. Also, what happened to my avatar? It used to be a mandrake root from RPG maker. Any reason it would have been deleted?

2 mil, though. That is good motivation for big games to have VR compatibility (like RE7) and for VR ports of popular titles (like Skyrim) so hopefully we'll see more big games. Not enough for big, exclusive games, though. We're at least a generation away from that kind of market penetration. Still, I wonder how this stacks up with other accessory sales. I mean, I'm sure extra controllers (including the first Dualshock, which hit a bit into the PS1's life, and DS3, which hit a bit into the PS3's life) will outsell it, but outside of basic controllers, I'm thinking PSVR is gotta be on the top 5 accessories sold, which is something given the price (especially at launch)

Last edited: