Sony finally goes on the record to say it's working on a PS4 successor

Dec 4, 2008
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-record-to-say-its-working-on-a-ps4-successor

Sony has finally gone on the record to say what we all know to be true: PlayStation 5 is coming.
Well, the company didn't actually call it PS5, but we all know that's what it's called.

"At this point, what I can say is it's necessary to have a next-generation hardware," said a guarded Kenichiro Yoshida, boss of Sony, in a new interview with the Financial Times.
But what is PS5? According to the FT's sources, "early indications were that it might not represent a major departure from the PS4, and that the fundamental architecture would be similar."
Whatever it is, Sony may not be in any huge rush to press the launch button on next-gen, what with the phenomenally successful PS4 still making billions for the company.
Clearly, though, things are hotting up in the next-gen console area. At E3, Microsoft stepped out to say work had begun on "the next Xbox consoles".

"The same team that delivered unprecedented performance with Xbox One X is deep into architecting the next Xbox consoles, where we will once again deliver on our commitment to set the benchmark for console gaming," Xbox boss Phil Spencer said.

Streaming will no doubt be a key offering with the next-gen consoles. Sony has tested the waters with its PlayStation Now subscription service. Yesterday, Microsoft announced a video game streaming offering of its own, called Project xCloud. Word on the street is Microsoft is planning a couple of different next-gen consoles, a more traditional console and a streaming-focused one.

Could Sony follow suit with multiple types of PS5? E3 2019 looks a good bet for when we'll find out.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
I really hope it ends up more powerful than the PS4, that's how it generally goes with new consoles so would be very dissapointed if it wasn't a fairly large jump from it, otherwise what's the point!

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
I really hope it ends up more powerful than the PS4, that's how it generally goes with new consoles so would be very dissapointed if it wasn't a fairly large jump from it, otherwise what's the point!
Yeah, I really don't want them to do a Switch or something like that. I don't want a weak hybrid console/portable, I want it to be a step up in performance like it was with the previous generations.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Rumour puts it that Sony sill use Ryzen cpu cores (as will MS most likely as AMD has no other designs), that in itself is a 4-5 generation leap above what is currently in the PS4. But we will likely end up with APU's again so there's still that issue. By design, the APU itself is a bit of a compromise.

Tangentially to the point of the OP, hopefully Sony aren't also doing the xcloud route of multiple consoles though. Surely this is a very niche market that's only really aimed at an eventual mobile tie in. Because if you can afford the low latency, high bandwidth ISP packages required to stream an uninterrupted, HQ 1080p/1440p/4K, video stream for an 8 hour Skyrim session, you can surely also afford a damn console??

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Wouldn't you love to be fly on the wall at AMD? These guys know exactly what both Sony and MS are planning. I wonder how they segregate that information so neither get insight into the other's designs?

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
E3 2020: Sony unveils the PS5 with a tech demo comprised of a photorealistic rendering of Ken Kutaragi's head as it smiles and winks at the audience below. "Witness the POWER of the next generation!", screams the father of the PlayStation in a heavy Japanese accent. Ken Kutaragi's head begins to morph into that of Knack and the first official trailer for Knack 3!

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
If next gen is going to be a repeat of the current one, then I won't be an early adopter of the PS5. I'll just wait.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I feel like the games as a service practice from publishers like EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Capcom and I guess everyone else, has made anticipating games less exciting since there's no real fixed price for games anymore (60 dollars plus tax plus more for loot boxes and cards etc). I really hope Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo go into next gen creating more worthwhile, respectable business trends that offset the damage by greedy publishers.

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
I wonder if they will put more emphasis on making VR better and more widely adopted. Short of bundling a VR headset with every PS5, I just don't know how they could accomplish that
Bundling a VR headset with ever PS5 would lower the sales of the console, if the console could not be bought alone. Microsoft made that mistake when they bundled their Xbox One with that camera thing, which created an even larger sales gap between that system and the PS4.

Jan 17, 2006
Newmarket, Toronto, Ontario
Bundling a VR headset with ever PS5 would lower the sales of the console, if the console could not be bought alone. Microsoft made that mistake when they bundled their Xbox One with that camera thing, which created an even larger sales gap between that system and the PS4.
Then how do you propose they could make the VR headset more common so that more AAA games get made for it?

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Then how do you propose they could make the VR headset more common so that more AAA games get made for it?
Come to think of it, I don't recall the last time Sony advertised a new game for PS VR. They've done a decent job announcing new games and I think there was an updated version of the headset released not too long ago, but we haven't seen primetime commercials like they do with their big PS4 exclusives. YouTube could be another avenue for them to create more exposure for new PS VR games, given the popularity of lets players.

VayMasters86

Dedicated Member
Sep 13, 2007
Come to think of it, I don't recall the last time Sony advertised a new game for PS VR. They've done a decent job announcing new games and I think there was an updated version of the headset released not too long ago, but we haven't seen primetime commercials like they do with their big PS4 exclusives. YouTube could be another avenue for them to create more exposure for new PS VR games, given the popularity of lets players.
There was, and the only reason I know if it was because my buddy bought the original one and ran into a problem with keeping it hooked up and not being able to use HDR, and when I looked up the problem, it was fixed by a new model.

VR itself is in an odd position. If VR headsets were treated more like TVs, where you can hook any console up to them, that might really improve things, but right now, I think it just has too many limitations.

OT: I think it's almost a certainty that the next PS5 will be stronger and be fully backwards compatible, and maybe even offer enhancements over the PS4 for some games, much like how the Pro can run some of them at 60FPS or a higher resolution.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
I do hope that they make it backwards compatible with PS4 at least but I wouldn't be surprised if they just resell old games with or without higher resolution stuff again and again. I agree with Vyse I hope that the business practices improve it's started with last generation and has got worse. Sony is reasonable for a big company especially compared to the likes of EA.