Sony going to make profit by selling PS3s now?

S

SixAxisRumble

The bad news is at £249 it's still a very expensive console and it should be due another price drop to get it under £199.

B

bachlab99

[QUOTE="Lozt_again, post: 0]You can buy a 360 for under £100 in some stores secondhand. It's crazy prices for everyone.[/quote]
Sainsburys had brand new £99 XBox 360s in the last time I was in there.

AaronSOLDIER

Ultimate Veteran
Apr 5, 2007
forums.final7fantasy.com
[QUOTE="SixAxisRumble, post: 0]The bad news is at £249 it's still a very expensive console and it should be due another price drop to get it under £199.[/quote]

Yep, Sony screwed up with the UK pricing, especially when the Elite was £200.

PsychoMantis

Mr. Ten-A-Key!
Nov 20, 2005
They can turn a profit now but in reality that should have been done a long time ago from a business point of view.

babybell

Elite Member
Oct 10, 2007
[QUOTE="SixAxisRumble, post: 0]The bad news is at £249 it's still a very expensive console and it should be due another price drop to get it under £199.[/quote]

I don't think we will see a price like that until the playstation move is released. Then they will have a couple of skus with or without the move peripherals.

[QUOTE="AaronSOLDIER, post: 0]To be fair the PS3 has been profiting since 2008 from the software side, but now they are fully profiting I hope they use the profits to pay for more marketing.[/quote]

I don't know. Some of that money could be going to cover the PSP Go! Sony start doing really well then they release the Go...which lets face it hasn't been doing well at all.

I wonder how many hardware revisions there have been now? I hope if they do start making some rofit with these systems that they put the money to good use. Markating is definatly a good idea. They have been pushing hard with their digital camera range. Getting alot of people coming and asking about their sweep panoramic abilities. Would be nice to see Sony doing something similar with the PS3. (And the PSP too)

babybell

Elite Member
Oct 10, 2007
[QUOTE="AaronSOLDIER, post: 0]The Go has profited since day 1...it is obviously overpriced but just because its not selling well doesn't mean its not profiting.[/quote]

True. But then when you look at the Japanese sales, the PSP Go is selling poorly while the other PSP models are selling extremely well. Japan is known for people going out and buying a whole new console just because they bring it out in another colour or similar. The fact they are not really embracing it there is definatly a warning sign. I can't see how they can be making much profit over all if the handheld isn't shipping.

Though I think might have to move this discussion to the PSP section as it is..slightly >_>..derailing the thread.

PsychoMantis

Mr. Ten-A-Key!
Nov 20, 2005
[QUOTE="AaronSOLDIER, post: 0]To be fair the PS3 has been profiting since 2008 from the software side, but now they are fully profiting I hope they use the profits to pay for more marketing.[/quote]

The PS3 coming out near the end of 06 from then until 08 is 2 years of lost profit. The 360 and Wii have been profiting from the get go despite the RROD with the 360. The main factor for the PS3's failure early on was the price of the blu-ray drive but now they are cheap so it will drive down dev cost some.