Sony Is Not Attending E3 In 2019

Jun 4, 2007
“As the industry evolves, Sony Interactive Entertainment continues to look for inventive opportunities to engage the community," the company told Game Informer in a statement. "PlayStation fans mean the world to us and we always want to innovate, think differently and experiment with new ways to delight gamers. As a result, we have decided not to participate in E3 in 2019. We are exploring new and familiar ways to engage our community in 2019 and can’t wait to share our plans with you.”
https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/11/14/sony-interactive-entertainment-is-not-attending-e3-in-2019

No conferences at all in 2019 is more than likely to happen. Sony will probably drop the price permanently to $199.

I'm expecting Sony to drop a nuke at the reveal of the PS5 in 2020.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I wouldn't mind seeing something similar to Nintendo Direct. In Sony's case, the first livestream recording would announce the PS5 (imagine the view count would be huge) and then every month or two, we see updates for several PS4 and/or PS VR games and maybe one or two PS5 games.

I mean, I'm not really disappointed to see them skip E3 as long as they're still announcing games, updates etc. It's not like this is a precursor to them announcing they're leaving the games industry "We decided we were tired of making so much money. Bye now!" Lol.

Jan 17, 2007
Canada, Toronto
www.youtube.com
They don't have anything to show and already we know what is coming so no need to waste money. Plus wait a little until the PS5 announcement will be made and there will be ton's of news. Good decision made by Sony and smart move because the last 2 Sony's E3's were terrible.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Well E3 has been overhyped rubbish for years so I don't mind the fact Sony are not willing to have a E3 conference. But im wondering what sort of direction they are taking?

I hope this with no PSX and with no E3 as well won't stop them making interesting reveals I believe next generation like a lot of people believe it is not far off.

Laddie13

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 7, 2018
I’m torn on this decision. I hope Sony isn’t becoming arrogant like Microsoft was with the X1 at the start of the current gen. They could have made a small scale appearance at E3 even if they only showed off the games we already know about, and some third party stuff.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Probably taking a page out of Apples book. Samsung too, and Nvidia... don't forget intel. Oh, and Google! AMD probs count as well.

With the install base they have, they probably feel confident they can pull off their own dedicated launch events like other big tech companies have been accustomed to.

No sense heading over to E3 every single year to duke it out, and chucking money on direct one-upmanship, as that is what E3 has basically come down to nowadays.

You can't really do your thing at E3 anymore. It's basically "we have to do more than the other guy". If you have a diverse library of games, you can't really show it off unless its got flashy lights, and lots of "booms" to catch peoples attentions.

I’m torn on this decision. I hope Sony isn’t becoming arrogant like Microsoft was with the X1 at the start of the current gen. They could have made a small scale appearance at E3 even if they only showed off the games we already know about, and some third party stuff.
I think content-wise, we'll probably get better coverage. If Sony are going the "we'll throw our own events" route they will bring in influencers and key people they feel will best represent their brand... But that can be a double edged sword, because the coverage is then very controlled (like Apples tends to be).

If they start talking about "TV" and "Television" tho, all bets are off. RIP :geek:

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
Fijiandoce said:
If they start talking about "TV" and "Television" tho, all bets are off. RIP :geek:
You never know with these guys. I mean who would have expected the XB360 successor to go all TV, TV, TV on our arses in 2013.

VayMasters86

Dedicated Member
Sep 13, 2007
I'm not gonna prejudge this move. There could be many reasons for this, and they may a many ideas of what they may do going forward.

Wasn't there complaints a few years, from Devs and Publishers, about E3 being too expensive and restictive?

There's also too many games conferences, and a lot of the time, those that show up to each have little to show. In such a connected world, a Nintendo Direct style showing, maybe 1 to 3 times a year might have a greater impact, at least for the major players.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
You know what bothered me about the E3 press conferences, other than people on stage who would talk too much, was how the camera would sometimes go off-screen during game trailers. Not so much the occasional delay in the beginning but in the middle when something cool happens and they zoom out to show the audience. The only time I was amused by them showing the audience was at the end of the Resident Evil 2 trailer where it asked you to pre-order the game and someone shouted, "Don't tell me what to do!"

nextgen3

Super Elite
May 15, 2006
Wales, UK
E3 was bloody nightmare with that direct desk booth it wasn't even a proper conference! After trailers it kept going back to those 4 at the desk even Just had some persons playing odd instruments for both TLoU2 & Ghost of T with great trailers dispite that there wasn't much to be excited about because we knew all of the games to come. I really hated the way it went.

MS did it better because it was an actual conference dispite no new games but still it had the conference, Sony didn't even bother with it. Now I see why Sony are not doing E3 next year. Shame but id take it over that desk conference any day!

It seem like E3 is now for multiplatform an indie developers to take the spot. But sony will some how have a montage of games to show but other than that nothing major. I can't see any new games beyond days gone cause they likely won't announce them at E3 but other than that I know we getting Spiderman 2.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
E3 was bloody nightmare with that direct desk booth it wasn't even a proper conference! After trailers it kept going back to those 4 at the desk even Just had some persons playing odd instruments for both TLoU2 & Ghost of T with great trailers dispite that there wasn't much to be excited about because we knew all of the games to come. I really hated the way it went

MS did it better because it was an actual conference dispite no new games but still it had the conference, Sony didn't even bother with it. Now I see why Sony are not doing E3 next year. Shame but id take it over that desk conference any day!

It seem like E3 is now for multiplatform an indie developers to take the spot. But sony will some how have a montage of games to show but other than that nothing major. I can't see any new games beyond days gone cause they likely won't announce them at E3 but other than that I know we getting Spiderman 2.
The live music performances almost felt like Sony was trying to convince me The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima would be the next great "video games are art" showcases so it came off as arrogant and pretentious. No disrespect to the actual composers. I don't agree with the idea that we should be progressive for everything when all anyone asks from these companies during E3 is to see more games.

The live desk booth, I swear, I actually started questioning whether I was still watching the official conference and that IGN/GameSpot didn't somehow interrupt the whole thing.

How weird is it that Sony has a couple good games to show but they incorporate this artsy-fartsy stuff, while Microsoft has a lot of games to show but most of them no one really cares about and it's showcased in traditional E3 fashion?

Last edited:

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Yeah other than a couple of multiplatform announcements despite the hype I found both conferences average in different ways and I agree with Vyse's comment. I feel like there's many consoles just with very similar games and that's was going on in the PS3/Xbox 360 generation and I feel like it's going to happen again I miss the times there were consoles that had completely different games.

Changed a bit again this generation with PS4 getting more console exclusives and the recent changes in Sony's management which im unsure with the direction they are taking if it's going to be PS2/PS3 generation over again. Only Sony exclusive im really interested in is Ghost of Tsushima others are a maybe or I feel like I need to see more of them.

Microsoft it just depends when it comes to their new first party studios if it new IPs pays off with more investment in the industry.
I don't feel interested or maybe im getting old. I miss the old days of gaming and its today with more media gaming is becoming more and more PC.

Last edited:

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
Probably taking a page out of Apples book. Samsung too, and Nvidia... don't forget intel. Oh, and Google! AMD probs count as well.

With the install base they have, they probably feel confident they can pull off their own dedicated launch events like other big tech companies have been accustomed to.

No sense heading over to E3 every single year to duke it out, and chucking money on direct one-upmanship, as that is what E3 has basically come down to nowadays.

You can't really do your thing at E3 anymore. It's basically "we have to do more than the other guy". If you have a diverse library of games, you can't really show it off unless its got flashy lights, and lots of "booms" to catch peoples attentions.

I think content-wise, we'll probably get better coverage. If Sony are going the "we'll throw our own events" route they will bring in influencers and key people they feel will best represent their brand... But that can be a double edged sword, because the coverage is then very controlled (like Apples tends to be).

They skipped PSX because they did not have no new content to show. This might be the main reason they are skipping E3.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
They skipped PSX because they did not have no new content to show. This might be the main reason they are skipping E3.
Probably PSX, but not E3.

It's a little difficult to get developers to put together something especially for you, so PSX would (in all likelihood) have been just rehashes of what got shown at the previous E3. Most of Sony's first party have put out their titles, and off the top of my head, there'd only be Naughty Dog's 'B' team that would have been working on something for any significant length of time.

Saying that, this isn't the case with next years E3 though. MS have put together really good E3's over the years without always bringing stellar first party line-ups.

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
Yeah other than a couple of multiplatform announcements despite the hype I found both conferences average in different ways and I agree with Vyse's comment. I feel like there's many consoles just with very similar games and that's was going on in the PS3/Xbox 360 generation and I feel like it's going to happen again I miss the times there were consoles that had completely different games.
We're at that point where most AAA games would rather just copy and paste what other success games have done instead of taking a new spin on an older idea or coming up with something new all together. I can't completely blame the company sided decision because game development continues to get longer and more expensive with each gen, so failure hits harder. Since the masses console side value visuals over performance, this will more than likely be continue to be the pattern. If performance was the focal thing, then yes we probably would see more experimenting than what we do now imo since graphical fidelity wouldn't be such a focal point for so many people.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
We're at that point where most AAA games would rather just copy and paste what other success games have done instead of taking a new spin on an older idea or coming up with something new all together. I can't completely blame the company sided decision because game development continues to get longer and more expensive with each gen, so failure hits harder. Since the masses console side value visuals over performance, this will more than likely be continue to be the pattern. If performance was the focal thing, then yes we probably would see more experimenting than what we do now imo since graphical fidelity wouldn't be such a focal point for so many people.
Yeah that's pretty much the case and it started last generation it's become more of a gamble. Yep because of that as well as graphics it's just going to become what the movie industry has become and re-releases as well. Yup it's more about the brand that sells.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
Probably PSX, but not E3.

It's a little difficult to get developers to put together something especially for you, so PSX would (in all likelihood) have been just rehashes of what got shown at the previous E3. Most of Sony's first party have put out their titles, and off the top of my head, there'd only be Naughty Dog's 'B' team that would have been working on something for any significant length of time.

Saying that, this isn't the case with next years E3 though. MS have put together really good E3's over the years without always bringing stellar first party line-ups.
They (Microsoft) have always had something new they could show. I am thinking that Sony maybe is transitioning towards the Playstation 5, and that with the history of announcing games far earlier has them in a position where they cannot announce new games without revealing that they are coming to the next console without first announcing that a new console is coming.

At least that is how I see it. It also maybe confirms that the new console is not coming next year.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
They (Microsoft) have always had something new they could show. I am thinking that Sony maybe is transitioning towards the Playstation 5, and that with the history of announcing games far earlier has them in a position where they cannot announce new games without revealing that they are coming to the next console without first announcing that a new console is coming.

At least that is how I see it. It also maybe confirms that the new console is not coming next year.
I'd be surprised if a new console came out next year. AMD are trying to get Rome onto 7nm (it releases next year), and i'd imagine both MS and Sony would also like the move down to the 7nm process. Rumour starting to indicate though that it will come the year after: https://www.psu.com/forums/threads/playstation-5-to-be-released-in-2020.339574/

That being said, it's unlikely they have nothing to show. I'd imagine you could have half a expo entirely for a Hideo game with the way he presents things. But if the rumour is true, they may be trying to position whats coming as a transition.

May 20, 2008

Yep, that is a possibility. But not attending E3, which is the biggest gaming event is odd. What better place to announce or showcase the PS5. This could be a clever strategic move but gamers will have to wait and see.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
Yep, that is a possibility. But not attending E3, which is the biggest gaming event is odd. What better place to announce or showcase the PS5. This could be a clever strategic move but gamers will have to wait and see.
I honestly think that they simply do not have anything to announce. They have been showing Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, Days Gone and The Last of Us II on multiple shows.

How do you show that at Gamescon, Paris Games, PSX and then E3 yet again? That for me is the main reason they are skipping E3, unless they have something big lined up for the anniversary next year.
I'd be surprised if a new console came out next year. AMD are trying to get Rome onto 7nm (it releases next year), and i'd imagine both MS and Sony would also like the move down to the 7nm process. Rumour starting to indicate though that it will come the year after: https://www.psu.com/forums/threads/playstation-5-to-be-released-in-2020.339574/

That being said, it's unlikely they have nothing to show. I'd imagine you could have half a expo entirely for a Hideo game with the way he presents things. But if the rumour is true, they may be trying to position whats coming as a transition.
Doing this would have a lot of backlash, and no one wants to see 45 minutes of a single game at a conference like E3. You dump it like CD Projekt Red did with Cyberpunk by first generation hype behind the scenes.

Personally think that both consoles may be coming in 2020.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Doing this would have a lot of backlash, and no one wants to see 45 minutes of a single game at a conference like E3. You dump it like CD Projekt Red did with Cyberpunk by first generation hype behind the scenes.
The example was just a Hideo specific one - because that how Kojima rolls. But like i said initially, Microsoft haven't always brought stellar first party line ups, so it's not much of an issue. If the issue is the fact there is nothing "new" you wont know something new is coming until they show it...

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
The example was just a Hideo specific one - because that how Kojima rolls. But like i said initially, Microsoft haven't always brought stellar first party line ups, so it's not much of an issue. If the issue is the fact there is nothing "new" you wont know something new is coming until they show it...
Kojima's games are overwritten, the presentations though have never been that long, not from anything I remember.

As for E3, I cannot think of anything that Sony would be revealing from their first party studios.
Sony has shown gameplay from every big game they are making bar Death Stranding, and if the launch for the next console is 2020, I could see this game launching on the PS4 that year with a updated version coming to the PS5. The rest will be Concrete Genie that was announced last year and Dreams. Other than this, most of their big studios either just released a game, or are yet to release a game. The comparison with Microsoft is off because Microsoft despite their low developer count this generation, has always shown something new at E3.

Jun 4, 2007
Sony is going to continue to move tons of consoles despite not going to E3. We know the line up of what's coming. We just need release dates. Trailers and Vi-docs can be released at any time for Sony's exclusives in 2019. They don't need E3 to bring hype to them.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
As for E3, I cannot think of anything that Sony would be revealing from their first party studios.
Why does it need to be something new from Sony's first party exclusively? As i've said, MS tend to do fine.

Seeing as you don't actually know what they may (or may not) show, the point is moot. Until the presentation is completed, saying they aren't showing anything new is supposition.

nextgen3

Super Elite
May 15, 2006
Wales, UK
most cases E3 is likely coming to an end with the big 3 I mean with sony not attending it does speak volumes on with what they are doing! But MS haven't even announced anything at all are they attending still?? What games they going to show another Forza! More on halo & gears zzzzzzzzz they're inside xb live event in Mexico was poor why they even bother!!

If Sony has something at PSX it has to be more than just PS5 announcement I mean games, VR, BWC, PSN, ect ect leaning towards 499 is big ask imo if that's the case make onlineplay free again! because I have I funny feeling about what MS will do if they make it free to play online. Sony has to think hard on it. That's the only way MS would get ppl to buy they're next system. Alot to think about.