Sony Is Not Attending E3 In 2019

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
Yep, that is a possibility. But not attending E3, which is the biggest gaming event is odd. What better place to announce or showcase the PS5. This could be a clever strategic move but gamers will have to wait and see.
E3 isn't as big as it once was for multiple reasons. It isn't uncommon for somebody that did go to tell you of their poor experience.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
Why does it need to be something new from Sony's first party exclusively? As i've said, MS tend to do fine.

Seeing as you don't actually know what they may (or may not) show, the point is moot. Until the presentation is completed, saying they aren't showing anything new is supposition.
Why does it need to be something new from Sony exclusively? Because this is what happens at E3, each E3, each and every E3 that these platform holders show up to. You think they are going to invest a huge amount of money simply showcasing stuff from third party developers without anything of their own?

You could say it is supposition, but how many shows have they skipped post E3 including their own PSX due to.......wait for it, having nothing new to show? This announcement did not come out of nowhere.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
You think they are going to invest a huge amount of money simply showcasing stuff from third party developers without anything of their own?
You should probably start sourcing this. At this point, you are the only one stating this... which reinforces the notion that it's just anecdotally driven supposition.

Guerrilla Games launched Horizon at the start of last year. At E3 next year(Not that Sony are even rocking up to it) we'll have had over 2 years+ of lead development time. Naughty Dogs B team would have put out U4 three years prior. Ghost of Tushima has had one outing... etc. etc.

I don't recall a single E3 where every title on display was a first party title... though this seems to be the point you are trying to put forward. Ignoring the fact that the bulk of titles shown at E3 pressers are multiplatform releases, or exclusives from third party studios.

You could say it is supposition, but how many shows have they skipped post E3 including their own PSX due to.......wait for it, having nothing new to show? This announcement did not come out of nowhere.
Rightly so, Sony have already put out their inventory - minus the recently announced stuff, and TLoU2. If Sony has started to position itself towards a PS5 announcement (where it seems they want to follow other big tech companies), why would you start teasing new games? The console the titles will ship on hasn't even been announced yet. What are you gunna present that's new, that you didn't already bring to E3 this year? If the PS5 is the new target platform, what title are they going to show that isn't a target for the PS5? They might as well announce the PS5 this year then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
You should probably start sourcing this. At this point, you are the only one stating this... which reinforces the notion that it's just anecdotally driven supposition.

Guerrilla Games launched Horizon at the start of last year. At E3 next year(Not that Sony are even rocking up to it) we'll have had over 2 years+ of lead development time. Naughty Dogs B team would have put out U4 three years prior. Ghost of Tushima has had one outing... etc. etc.

I don't recall a single E3 where every title on display was a first party title... though this seems to be the point you are trying to put forward. Ignoring the fact that the bulk of titles shown at E3 pressers are multiplatform releases, or exclusives from third party studios.

Rightly so, Sony have already put out their inventory - minus the recently announced stuff, and TLoU2. If Sony has started to position itself towards a PS5 announcement (where it seems they want to follow other big tech companies), why would you start teasing new games? The console the titles will ship on hasn't even been announced yet. What are you gunna present that's new, that you didn't already bring to E3 this year? If the PS5 is the new target platform, what title are they going to show that isn't a target for the PS5? They might as well announce the PS5 this year then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This is what I said yesterday. Almost as if you did not pay any attention to it.

They (Microsoft) have always had something new they could show. I am thinking that Sony maybe is transitioning towards the Playstation 5, and that with the history of announcing games far earlier has them in a position where they cannot announce new games without revealing that they are coming to the next console without first announcing that a new console is coming.

At least that is how I see it. It also maybe confirms that the new console is not coming next year.
And yes, I know that Naughty Dog and Guerrilla are working on something new. Sony Santa Monica, Polyphony Digital, Bend and their expanding studios will also have something planned for the next generation once they are done with their commitments to this generation. But is any of this news? Are there no Microsoft teams that are making something targeting the next generation of consoles?

You are simply rotating to what I said. They may well be skipping E3 because they have nothing new to show, similar to why they have been skipping game shows since E3.

May 20, 2008
The example was just a Hideo specific one - because that how Kojima rolls. But like i said initially, Microsoft haven't always brought stellar first party line ups, so it's not much of an issue. If the issue is the fact there is nothing "new" you wont know something new is coming until they show it...
What does them not attending E-3 have to do with MS? Even if they don't have anything new to show, you would think they would at least have games like GOT, TLOU2, DS and Days Gone at the show in playable form at a booth or something. I can understand them wanting to keep PS5 stuff to themselves for a little while longer but to not even have any representation at E3 is puzzling.

E3 isn't as big as it once was for multiple reasons. It isn't uncommon for somebody that did go to tell you of their poor experience.
The attendance numbers don't support that though.

Last edited:

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
And yes, I know that Naughty Dog and Guerrilla are working on something new. Sony Santa Monica, Polyphony Digital, Bend and their expanding studios will also have something planned for the next generation once they are done with their commitments to this generation. But is any of this news? Are there no Microsoft teams that are making something targeting the next generation of consoles?
Good, so we're in agreement that if Sony were going to E3, they would have something to show, as was my point. Not that they have nothing to show, and have therefore cancelled their E3 commitments, as was the case you were trying to put forward.

What does them not attending E-3 have to do with MS?
The comparison was the titles. MS will bring devs up from other studios (which is fine unto itself), but the point was being made that because Sony had put out their stuff, they subsequently had to cancel their E3 presentation (which was correct insofar as their PSX commitments - to a degree). This is silly because MS do fine in this regard.
Even if they don't have anything new to show, you would think they would at least have games like GOT, TLOU2, DS and Days Gone at the show in playable form at a booth or something. I can understand them wanting to keep PS5 stuff to themselves for a little while longer but to not even have any representation at E3 is puzzling.
That's kinda what i was saying. They are probably mimicking what Google, Apple, Samsung etc. are doing now where they launch their "premium" sku at some big event.

We'll probably get really good info out of it - as it wont be tied directly to competition out of the gate (though that will happen regardless) - with people probably getting hands on with actual units (maybe?).
But you also have the issue where what we get is highly controlled. To this day, all we know Sony's current cpu (for example) is 8 cores @1.6GHz (Base). I don't recall Sony having fully disclosed that it is a jaguar core (even though we all know it is). So there's equal chance we'll get sold things like "infinity display", and "Sapphire glass" etc. etc. Bullshit marketing terms for kinda mundane things that kinda shouldn't be marketed as much as they are (this is in reference to Apple vs. Samsung).

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
Good, so we're in agreement that if Sony were going to E3, they would have something to show, as was my point. Not that they have nothing to show, and have therefore cancelled their E3 commitments, as was the case you were trying to put forward.
Why do you keep doing this? These are two other posts from yesterday.
They skipped PSX because they did not have no new content to show. This might be the main reason they are skipping E3.
I honestly think that they simply do not have anything to announce. They have been showing Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, Days Gone and The Last of Us II on multiple shows.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Why do you keep doing this? These are two other posts from yesterday.
Not too sure if you follow your own posts, but: One references PSX (fair enough), and then extends the same point to E3 (the issue). As has been said, you don't know what the situation is, so it's supposition.
More over, the reasoning provided is flawed. It ignores the work MS does by bringing in third party studios, it ignores the fact PSX is not E3, it ignores any work done by other studios, it pretends E3 is only possible with a roster of first party titles, but mostly it pretends it knows what the inventory of a company is going forward - even though the point itself was flawed when brought up.

Jun 4, 2007
Sony won't lose anything from not going to E3. E3 was/is for the hardcore. The hardcore already know what to expect. The ps4 will nearly have 100 million sold by the time E3 19' gets here. Casuals are buying the ps4. They don't care about E3.

E3 helps but E3 is not needed to build buzz. Especially for companies such as Nintendo or Sony. MS are the ones struggling to sell titles that's not in the forza, halo or gears series. They brag about sea of thieves but refuse to say a sold to customer number.

Last edited:

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
Not too sure if you follow your own posts, but: One references PSX (fair enough), and then extends the same point to E3 (the issue). As has been said, you don't know what the situation is, so it's supposition.
More over, the reasoning provided is flawed. It ignores the work MS does by bringing in third party studios, it ignores the fact PSX is not E3, it ignores any work done by other studios, it pretends E3 is only possible with a roster of first party titles, but mostly it pretends it knows what the inventory of a company is going forward - even though the point itself was flawed when brought up.
And that supposition does not apply to you when you compare them to Apple product releases etc? You really cant make this shit up. Classic pot calling kettle black. At the very least I can go by something they have said, you?

Secondly, every E3 conference is about third party stuff, and well, bringing some stuff from your stable. No one, I repeat, no one is arguing that Microsoft will not show third party stuff. That is what makes up most of their conference, but they also bring their own stuff and a good amount of the time it is games that will launch within a year.

This year alone they brought Forza Horizon, Gears of War (all of them), Ori and the Will of the Wisps. They then showed gameplay on Crackdown 3 this month. The games that they have not expounded on are Halo and Battletoads. The only game that had been known prior to this and shown in some way, shape or form was Crackdown.

If Sony has nothing else to show, they would walk to E3 with Death Stranding, The Last of Us II, Ghost of Tsushima, Dreams and Concrete Genie. How many games have had some form of gameplay material shown in addition to third party games. The exclusives are what bring interest to the table.

Keep harping about supposition mate. Keep mentioning things that I mentioned yesterday and drawing conclusions that no one else has drawn and wild imaginations that are contrary to what happens. It is nothing new on your part.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
Sony won't lose anything from not going to E3. E3 was/is for the hardcore. The hardcore already know what to expect. The ps4 will nearly have 100 million sold by the time E3 19' gets here. Casuals are buying the ps4. They don't care about E3.

E3 helps but E3 is not needed to build buzz. Especially for companies such as Nintendo or Sony. MS are the ones struggling to sell titles that's not in the forza, halo or gears series. They brag about sea of thieves but refuse to say a sold to customer number.
It must be why they have missed E3 at the tail end of every generation.

Jun 4, 2007
It must be why they have missed E3 at the tail end of every generation.
No one knows the reason other than Shawn saying that they were going to do things different moving forward. Everything else is pure speculation. If it's one thing that the hardcore don't worry about when it comes to a playstation is its exclusives. Why? It's because Sony has a reputation over 4 generations of providing that need.

It's going to hurt your soul knowing that MS will be at E3 in a "big" way and will still get crushed by the "nothing to announce" ps4 in sales. If E3 means so much then why is the Switch on track to outselling the xbone by the end of 2019?

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
What you see from E3 cameras does not display the full picture with E3.
I agree but Its not about the cameras my friend. Its about having your product out there for millions to see at the biggest gaming event. E-3 isn't just about 1st party. This is the time that some huge 3rd party games are shown too.. Not to mention anything else publishers and devs want to put out there for gamers to see. I would love to know those reasons you say E-3 isn't as big as it once was. What changed since the last one that was only about 5 months ago? Or is it you guys are only saying it because sony has decided not to attend? Would you be saying the same if it was Microsoft who did this? Personally, I would be disappointed if Microsoft did this. There is nothing wrong with doing a separate show but to not even have one single booth when you know some of your supporters will be there is a disservice to your fans IMO. Nintendo hasn't done one in about 4 years but at least they are on the show floor.

No one knows the reason other than Shawn saying that they were going to do things different moving forward. Everything else is pure speculation. If it's one thing that the hardcore don't worry about when it comes to a playstation is its exclusives. Why? It's because Sony has a reputation over 4 generations of providing that need.

It's going to hurt your soul knowing that MS will be at E3 in a "big" way and will still get crushed by the "nothing to announce" ps4 in sales. If E3 means so much then why is the Switch on track to outselling the xbone by the end of 2019?
They also have attended E-3 for over 4 generations for 25 years straight...lol Sure sounds like E-3 provided that "need" too.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2007
They also have attended E-3 for over 4 generations for 25 years straight...lol Sure sounds like E-3 provided that "need" too.
Obviously the importance of E3 has changed.

How much has E3 helped MS this generation? They're about to be in last place in 2019. Halo 5 is MS's biggest title on the xbone. Would you believe me if I said it took only months for two 2018 Sony exclusives to generate more money than Halo 5's life to date in North America?

Last edited:
May 20, 2008

Obviously the importance of E3 has changed.

How much has E3 helped MS this generation? They're about to be in last place in 2019. Halo 5 is MS's biggest title on the xbone. Would you believe me if I said it took only months for two 2018 Sony exclusives to generate more money than Halo 5's life to date in North America?
Money? Microsoft is making butt loads off of Minecraft alone and they just bought 7 studios so It doesn’t look like they worried about money right now. Services like gamepass are not too shabby either. But hey, you don’t have to believe me just take a look at the reports. Xbox is doing just fine. But nevermind all that because it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.....or maybe it does. If Sony is making so much money off those exclusives then surely they could of put up a measly few million to invest in at least one booth at E3 and still do their own show too. That shouldn’t be too difficult since just a year ago they talked about how important E3 was to developers and publishers.

Jun 4, 2007
Money? Microsoft is making butt loads off of Minecraft alone and they just bought 7 studios so It doesn’t look like they worried about money right now. Services like gamepass are not too shabby either. But hey, you don’t have to believe me just take a look at the reports. Xbox is doing just fine. But nevermind all that because it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.....or maybe it does. If Sony is making so much money off those exclusives then surely they could of put up a measly few million to invest in at least one booth at E3 and still do their own show too. That shouldn’t be too difficult since just a year ago they talked about how important E3 was to developers and publishers.
Try again. I asked a specific question about Halo 5, that's been out for years, vs 2 ps4 exclusives that released this year lol. I also asked how has E3 been helping MS. Answer the fucking questions I asked.

Edit:I'll answer them for you because you have a hard time answering what's been asked of you. E3 has hurt MS more than it has helped this generation lol.

Life to date figures of the ps4 and xbone in North America(MS strongest market). Multiplats sell more and make more money on the PS4. God of War 2018 made more money than Battlefront 2015 and COD:AW on the PS4. Battle Front 2015 and COD:AW made more money than Halo 5 on the xbone. Therefore a 2018 ps4 exclusive made more money than MS's biggest exclusive that released years ago. "But you said 2 titles, Two." I know I know.

All Platforms YTD Oct 2018

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII^
  2. Red Dead Redemption II
  3. Far Cry 5
  4. Marvel's Spider-Man
  5. NBA 2K19
  6. God of War 2018
  7. Monster Hunter: World
  8. Madden NFL 19^
  9. Grand Theft Auto V
  10. Call of Duty: WWII^
NPD

If GOW(2018) made more money than Halo 5 and Spider-Man(2018) made more money than GOW then that means what, Sub? 2 rebooted 2018 titles that happened to be PS4 exclusives made more than Halo 5 in MS's strongest region.

I know you're mind fucked right now but try to focus. Tell me what else this data means. I'll give you a hint. It relates to E3 also.

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
Try again. I asked a specific question about Halo 5, that's been out for years, vs 2 ps4 exclusives that released this year lol. I also asked how has E3 been helping MS. Answer the fucking questions I asked.

Edit:I'll answer them for you because you have a hard time answering what's been asked of you. E3 has hurt MS more than it has helped this generation lol.

Life to date figures of the ps4 and xbone in North America(MS strongest market). Multiplats sell more and make more money on the PS4. God of War 2018 made more money than Battlefront 2015 and COD:AW on the PS4. Battle Front 2015 and COD:AW made more money than Halo 5 on the xbone. Therefore a 2018 ps4 exclusive made more money than MS's biggest exclusive that released years ago. "But you said 2 titles, Two." I know I know.

All Platforms YTD Oct 2018

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII^
  2. Red Dead Redemption II
  3. Far Cry 5
  4. Marvel's Spider-Man
  5. NBA 2K19
  6. God of War 2018
  7. Monster Hunter: World
  8. Madden NFL 19^
  9. Grand Theft Auto V
  10. Call of Duty: WWII^
NPD

If GOW(2018) made more money than Halo 5 and Spider-Man(2018) made more money than GOW then that means what, Sub? 2 rebooted 2018 titles that happened to be PS4 exclusives made more than Halo 5 in MS's strongest region.

I know you're mind fucked right now but try to focus. Tell me what else this data means. I'll give you a hint. It relates to E3 also.
Sounds like you are trying to change the narrative to money, but lets get this out of the way. Sony has done well this gen. They ruled NPD by selling butt loads of games and consoles. They really put a hurt on Microsoft in those areas but that's not to say MS is hurting for the dollar because we know they're not. We all know that software and services are how they really make the money and not hardware. Now, I don’t know exactly how much money MS or Sony made from games but I do know they both do well and some of the money ms made from things like game pass is going to help bolster the Xbox brand as we’ve seen already with the purchase of studios. But like I said above it really has nothing to do with E3. Now its not important and its dying? How is that when the attendance is up from previous years. It’s funny no one was saying this stuff before that announcement. You say they don't need E-3 to bring hype but why have they been going the last 25 years? People lie but numbers don't. I can understand them not attending because they don't have anything new to show but E-3 is the biggest of them all and its a bummer for them not to attend regardless if you are a supporter or not. Who knows what sony have up their sleeves and this just may work out well for them. Maybe they'll do their own show right before E-3 to try and steal all the thunder from Microsoft or maybe they wont. IMO its not a sign of anything wrong because they are doing very well and closing in on PS2 sales which makes this move even more confusing. We just don't know what they're planning, but right now it sounds like a lot of damage control coming from some(not all) Playstation fans about the importance of E-3. Sony has never missed E-3 in its last 24/25 years and the show has provided some of its most memorable moments but now its insignificant? o_O

Now, I am a huge xbox supporter but you will never hear me say they don't need E-3 or try and downplay its importance. How much has E3 helped MS? Id say they helped them tremendously. Especially this past one. But all in all this just proves what ive been saying for years, PlayStation fans give sony a pass when they want just like some xbox fans do the same for MS.

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
I agree but Its not about the cameras my friend. Its about having your product out there for millions to see at the biggest gaming event. E-3 isn't just about 1st party. This is the time that some huge 3rd party games are shown too.. Not to mention anything else publishers and devs want to put out there for gamers to see. I would love to know those reasons you say E-3 isn't as big as it once was. What changed since the last one that was only about 5 months ago? Or is it you guys are only saying it because sony has decided not to attend? Would you be saying the same if it was Microsoft who did this? Personally, I would be disappointed if Microsoft did this. There is nothing wrong with doing a separate show but to not even have one single booth when you know some of your supporters will be there is a disservice to your fans IMO. Nintendo hasn't done one in about 4 years but at least they are on the show floor.
I'm not surprised that you even asked the question. One of the biggest reasons is that people are more aware now and these days that E3 isn't the ONLY major game show to attend. You have other things like Evo, PAX, Tokyo Game Show, and etc. As a gamer it is pretty ass. Want to play some of the biggest titles while you're there? Get ready to wait in long ass lines. You'll get to play 2 MAYBE 3 games in a days time and even then it may not even be a thorough play through even at that. Why compete for limited floor space/stage time when you can just run your own show and do things on your own terms? Each of the big 3 are big enough to do their own show(s).

I even chatted with a developer that shared some of his experience with E3:

May 20, 2008
I'm not surprised that you even asked the question. One of the biggest reasons is that people are more aware now and these days that E3 isn't the ONLY major game show to attend. You have other things like Evo, PAX, Tokyo Game Show, and etc. As a gamer it is pretty ass. Want to play some of the biggest titles while you're there? Get ready to wait in long ass lines. You'll get to play 2 MAYBE 3 games in a days time and even then it may not even be a thorough play through even at that. Why compete for limited floor space/stage time when you can just run your own show and do things on your own terms? Each of the big 3 are big enough to do their own show(s).

I even chatted with a developer that shared some of his experience with E3:
Or you can just do both. That's the way its been for years. Come on, man, people have always been aware that E-3 isn't the only game show to attend. Hell, Microsoft revealed the xbox360 on MTV...lol No one is saying sony shouldn't do their own shows but to not even have one single booth at the biggest gaming event of the year is strange to say the least. And no one is saying the E-3 experience is great for everyone who attends but despite all the waiting and the abundance of cameras and all that other stuff, people still enjoy the overall experience and the attendance numbers show it. The real question is why they made this decision at a time when they're doing so well. Regardless, this is a huge opportunity for Microsoft to capitalize in some way. Phil wasted not time tweeting that MS is looking forward to E-3 next year so we will have to wait and see how this all turns out for both. I'm not really much a fan of playstaion but I still watch all the E-3 conferences.

Last edited:

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Sounds like you are trying to change the narrative to money, but lets get this out of the way. Sony has done well this gen. They ruled NPD by selling butt loads of games and consoles. They really put a hurt on Microsoft in those areas but that's not to say MS is hurting for the dollar because we know they're not. We all know that software and services are how they really make the money and not hardware. Now, I don’t know exactly how much money MS or Sony made from games but I do know they both do well and some of the money ms made from things like game pass is going to help bolster the Xbox brand as we’ve seen already with the purchase of studios. But like I said above it really has nothing to do with E3. Now its not important and its dying? How is that when the attendance is up from previous years. It’s funny no one was saying this stuff before that announcement. You say they don't need E-3 to bring hype but why have they been going the last 25 years? People lie but numbers don't. I can understand them not attending because they don't have anything new to show but E-3 is the biggest of them all and its a bummer for them not to attend regardless if you are a supporter or not. Who knows what sony have up their sleeves and this just may work out well for them. Maybe they'll do their own show right before E-3 to try and steal all the thunder from Microsoft or maybe they wont. IMO its not a sign of anything wrong because they are doing very well and closing in on PS2 sales which makes this move even more confusing. We just don't know what they're planning, but right now it sounds like a lot of damage control coming from some(not all) Playstation fans about the importance of E-3. Sony has never missed E-3 in its last 24/25 years and the show has provided some of its most memorable moments but now its insignificant? o_O

Now, I am a huge xbox supporter but you will never hear me say they don't need E-3 or try and downplay its importance. How much has E3 helped MS? Id say they helped them tremendously. Especially this past one. But all in all this just proves what ive been saying for years, PlayStation fans give sony a pass when they want just like some xbox fans do the same for MS.
Well with the more purchase of Microsoft studios recently they are more willing to invest that bit more money in the gaming console side of the sector so that they can purchase studios to have a better chance in the future and people know that they were buying a lot of timed exclusives from third party and lot of it comes to Sony's console a year later or is on PC so they didn't feel like they needed to buy a Xbox One.

Gamepass seems like a cheaper version of PS Now monthly in the US it's the games that people buy the consoles. But it's also a push for digital which I feel like consoles are not ready for it and I hope they keep the choice of buying physical or digital.
I think E3 has been losing it importance and it's just all a hype up lot of people feel disappointed afterwards I haven't been happy with it for years even TGS isn't like it used to be and I attended it last year.

Companies are likely going to do their own shows like lot of people have mentioned in this thread it's just the matter of getting another attention from them if Sony does something similar.
Yeah even im not even sure of what going on with Sony and there's been a change in management such as Andrew House is no longer in Sony things have changed since they moved their headquarters to California.

Sony has amazing track record of doing new exclusive IPs and doing well out of them I got to give them credit. Willing to put a lot of risks in the business and paying off.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
And that supposition does not apply to you when you compare them to Apple product releases etc? You really cant make this shit up. Classic pot calling kettle black. At the very least I can go by something they have said, you?
The quote you are going off of is tangential at best, and irrelevant at worst. As it pertains to a different expo entirely. PSX 2018 =/= E3 2019.

How you extend the PSX annocment to E3 next year is itself a question you'll never answer...

The idea's i expressed mimic those who follow the event closer than I:
This news will escalate the feeling among many that E3 has simply lessened in importance in recent years. Of course, that remains to be seen since the show has been evolving into a more consumer-focused event. Sony could take this opportunity to build a fan expo like BlizzCon, which takes place when the timing is right for Sony. Or the platform holder could go the more direct route like Nintendo, leveraging its own social channels to promote its products globally
https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/11/15/sony-interactive-entertainment-is-not-attending-e3-in-2019
Skipping E3, though, could also signal that Sony’s planning to rely more on its third-party publishing partners as the PS4 enters its twilight years.
http://fortune.com/2018/11/16/sony-e3-2019-playstation-5/
The nature of games industry marketing and publicity has changed over the past five years, moving away from benchmark physical events designed to attract traditional press coverage and toward dedicated fan events or online broadcasts, aimed directly at consumers and YouTube influencers.
https://www.theguardian.com/games/2018/nov/16/sonys-playstation-pulls-out-of-e3-event-in-2019
Since we know that nothing is credible (on your end) unless IGN says it is, here's their leading theory:
So might Sony simply hold its own press conference and showcase offsite, and this whole skipping-E3 announcement is much ado about nothing?
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/11/16/opinion-3-theories-for-sony-skipping-e3-2019

In regards to Sony's decision to not host its PlayStation Experience this year, and if it would return next year, Clark responded by saying Sony is "looking at events as a whole and how we can speak more to our fans and continue to wow them."
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/11/15/playstation-will-skip-e3-in-2019
Secondly, every E3 conference is about third party stuff, and well, bringing some stuff from your stable. No one, I repeat, no one is arguing that Microsoft will not show third party stuff. That is what makes up most of their conference, but they also bring their own stuff and a good amount of the time it is games that will launch within a year.
I'm confused...
Why does it need to be something new from Sony exclusively? Because this is what happens at E3, each E3, each and every E3 that these platform holders show up to.
Is it about the first party stuff, or is it now about the third party stuff...

This year alone they brought Forza Horizon, Gears of War (all of them), Ori and the Will of the Wisps. They then showed gameplay on Crackdown 3 this month. The games that they have not expounded on are Halo and Battletoads. The only game that had been known prior to this and shown in some way, shape or form was Crackdown.
The relevance of this is lost on me... You're going to have to elaborate on how you got from "Sony has no games", to "look at all these games MS brought" (despite no one bringing it up...)

If Sony has nothing else to show, they would walk to E3 with Death Stranding, The Last of Us II, Ghost of Tsushima, Dreams and Concrete Genie. How many games have had some form of gameplay material shown in addition to third party games. The exclusives are what bring interest to the table.
See your own point regarding MS above. So third party making the bulk of the conference is fine, but not when you are Sony?

Keep harping about supposition mate. Keep mentioning things that I mentioned yesterday and drawing conclusions that no one else has drawn and wild imaginations that are contrary to what happens. It is nothing new on your part.
The only wildly drawn conclusion is the delusion that E3 (next years E3 mind) was skipped on the basis there was nothing to show show at PSX this year. Despite stating yourself above that third party titles were the bulk of the E3 presentation.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Coming into this late. I agree with Fiji in that everything they have for PS4 has been shown and what they have not show is going to be featured, if not exclusive to, on PS5. Showing the same PS4 games again and again really serve no purpose. From a business standpoint, Sony is able to ride the PS4 wave comfortably. The games on tap are significant. TLOU2, Death Stranding, Ghosts, and Days Gone are enough to take PS4 through 2019 and into 2020. But until the PS5 is revealed, you really can't show the games that are going to be featured for it. Otherwise, are we actually saying that Sony isn't working on any new games? Guerilla is just sitting idle? Hardly.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Sony skipped PSX this year because they felt there wouldn't be enough new content for them to show, which is not the same as saying they have zero content to show. They don't all need to be new game announcements either, seeing as they have yet to show WiLD again.

And just because they aren't attending E3 doesn't mean they won't find another way to engage the community. Nintendo was successful with their Direct livestream recordings and I personally believe more companies should adopt that approach.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
Its pretty simple:

They don't have anything to show.
The only games not have come out by then are Ghosts, Kojimas Wank, Dreams and The Last of Us. They aren't going to base an entire show around those.
Which is a repeat of this year minus spidy.

What they are forgoing however is publishing deals with big third party, that's what will potentially be where they loose out.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Its pretty simple:

The only games not have come out by then are Ghosts, Kojimas Wank, Dreams and The Last of Us. They aren't going to base an entire show around those.

What they are forgoing however is publishing deals with big third party, that's what will potentially be where they loose out.
Are you guys just blocking out any mention of the MediEvil remake and WiLD in this thread? I understand if there isn't much confidence in WiLD but we did see a recent trailer for MediEvil and I'm probably failing to mention upcoming PSVR games (though I'm sure you'll read into that thinking Sony's venture into VR gaming was a mistake that Microsoft was smart to avoid).

Just stop pushing this narrative that Sony have nothing to show. Before you guys were saying they announce games too early. Now they need to continue wasting their time promoting third-party exclusive content like they did with Destiny or its "should have been in the original" sequel? Next year it would have been some battle royale nonsense.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
The quote you are going off of is tangential at best, and irrelevant at worst. As it pertains to a different expo entirely. PSX 2018 =/= E3 2019.

How you extend the PSX annocment to E3 next year is itself a question you'll never answer...

The idea's i expressed mimic those who follow the event closer than I:

Since we know that nothing is credible (on your end) unless IGN says it is, here's their leading theory:

I'm confused...

Is it about the first party stuff, or is it now about the third party stuff...

The relevance of this is lost on me... You're going to have to elaborate on how you got from "Sony has no games", to "look at all these games MS brought" (despite no one bringing it up...)

See your own point regarding MS above. So third party making the bulk of the conference is fine, but not when you are Sony?

The only wildly drawn conclusion is the delusion that E3 (next years E3 mind) was skipped on the basis there was nothing to show show at PSX this year. Despite stating yourself above that third party titles were the bulk of the E3 presentation.
I fail to understand why you even bothered posting this. Sony will not attend E3. They have said they will not have another conference at the same time.

I do not think that it is because they want to have an Apple type event to release their own stuff either, although it is something that has been done on the console space to reveal consoles. It has more to do with the fact that they have nothing new to show which is what I have stated all along.

Its pretty simple:

This! I honestly don't know why this is so hard to understand.