Sony is open to bringing PlayStation VR to PCs

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
https://www.engadget.com/2016/03/28/sony-mulls-playstation-vr-for-pc/

PlayStation VR is one of the more affordable advanced virtual reality headsets hitting stores, but it has a big catch: you need to own a PS4 (and a PlayStation Camera) to use it. What if you'd just like to try it with your computer instead? You may well get that chance. According to a translationof a Nikkeiinterview with Sony's Masayasu Ito, the company is "considering plans" to let you use PlayStation VR with a PC. After all, he says, the PS4 and PCs share similar parts (namely, similar processor and graphics architectures) -- it wouldn't be a big stretch to support both.

This isn't to say you should be cancelling your pre-order for that HTC Viveor Oculus Rift. To no one's surprise, Sony is focused on building games to make sure PlayStation VR succeeds on its home turf. There will be an "expansion into various fields," Ito says, but anything besides the PS4 is playing second fiddle right now. Still, the very possibility of PSVR on PCs is intriguing. It could introduce some much-needed competition into a field that's only just getting started.
reddit

But PlayStation VR is not just a Playstation 4 peripheral. While Ito warned that "nothing will happen right away," he revealed that Sony was considering plans to enable the use of Playstation VR through connection with PCs in the future. "Since Playstation 4 shares a lot of its internals with PCs, the possibility is there. At the moment we are focused on games and we are not ready to make any announcements at this stage, but I'd say there will be an expansion into various fields."

Last edited:

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
I think they would be foolish not to allow its use on PC. It seems many don't want to go with the Rift with its Facebook backing and so Vive is an easy choice. I believe for the most part the games are free to use whatever VR device they want so why not give them a choice of using PS VR?

It could also help with sales for people who have a PS4 and gaming PC as they could buy just the PS VR and be set for VR gaming on both their gaming systems... no need to buy either the PS VR or Vive/Rift.