Sony Is Taking Suggestions for Backwards Compatible PS2 Games on PS4!

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
If there is a specific PlayStation 2 title you’re hoping to see backwards compatible on PS4, you might want to let Sony know.

Recently, PlayStation Worldwide Studio’s Dave Thach took to Twitter to let PS4 owners know Sony is listening to feedback on PS2 titles appearing on PS4, and urged fans to tweet their suggestions using the hashtag “#ps2ps4”.

So far, suggested PS2 games include Gran Turismo, Persona, Shin Megami Tensei, and Yakuza 2.

After rumors PS2 emulation was coming to the PS4, Sony released the first eight “fan favorite” games, which includes Dark Cloud, Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas for PS4. The games retail for either $10 or $15 USD and include trophy support and up-rendered 1080p visuals.

In related news, Parappa the Rapper 2 released on PS4 today. The sequel to the original PlayStation game about a rapping dog costs $10 USD.
I would LOVE Gran Turismo 3 to be put onto the store, wouldn't need a new game for AGES! :drool

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Anyone else think that Def Jam: Fight for NY would be pretty cool to see again with trophy support and up-rendered 1080p visuals?

MacP

Veteran
Jun 27, 2008
The Getaway, Manhunt, Need for Speed Underground 2, MGS3: Snake Eater, Medal of Honour: Frontline

Last edited:

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="MacP, post: 6494350]The Getaway, Manhunt, Need for Speed Underground 2, MGS3: Snake Eater[/QUOTE]

Massive yes for Need for Speed Underground 2, best NFS game yet I think!

Aug 22, 2006
Alone in the Cold
Mister Mosquito
Contra: Shattered Soldier
Gungrave
Killer 7
Drakan: The Acient's Gates
Rygar: The Legendary Adventure
Shadow of Rome
Gitaroo Man
God Hand
Sky Gunner
Beyond Good and Evil
Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy
Darkwatch: Curse of the West
R.A.D. (Robot Alchemic Drive)
Maximo: Ghosts to Glory
Maximo vs. Army of Zin

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
Wow...I'm going to say, this is better than putting out PS3 games as I already own them. I do miss PS2 games the most and OMG SOCOM! I WANT SOCOM!!!

[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6494372]There are a lot of games people would love to see, but $10 or $15 is too much for games that old imo.[/QUOTE]
umm not if you really want them. they aren't just emulating it, they are enhancing it by twice the frame rate and 4x the resolution. i think that's pretty worth it for games you really miss playing. I would totally pay $15 for SOCOM 2 with 60fps and 4x the resolution. I don't know yet if they are including online in these games or are putting out online games. Doubt it.

also not like anyone owns these games anymore, it's a win-win situation for both sides because we get the updated visuals (and most of us likely already sold our games and gotten money for it so it's not like having a PS3 game I'd have to buy again) and they get the money to support more games.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[video=youtube;S9KlOVXnwLI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9KlOVXnwLI[/video]

And you already know which girl I'm going to pick:

Nov 22, 2005
Tenchu, blood Roar, Def Jam,

there's so many games on the ps that anyone could pick, they should just give the full list. Every month give us 10 games from the ps 2 library

who do you contact to give your list to?

$Greatness$

Master Poster
Sep 4, 2009
Baltimore, MD
[QUOTE="MacP, post: 6494350]The Getaway, Manhunt, Need for Speed Underground 2, MGS3: Snake Eater, Medal of Honour: Frontline[/QUOTE]

Just take me back to my childhood you filthy animal! :D

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="TekkenLord, post: 6494578]Tenchu, blood Roar, Def Jam,

there's so many games on the ps that anyone could pick, they should just give the full list. Every month give us 10 games from the ps 2 library

who do you contact to give your list to?[/QUOTE]

You need to get on Twitter and use this hashtag in a tweet with the games of your choice: #ps2ps4

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6494372]There are a lot of games people would love to see, but $10 or $15 is too much for games that old imo.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I wouldn't support that at all even if I cared about BC. But to each their own.

Nov 12, 2015
I think this is a good idea and all. But as sub-stance1 said, 10-15$ is to much for games that I mostly already own and can play on my BC ps3. Trophies and slightly upscale'd graphics are not worth the price.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE="tsquad, post: 6494757]I think this is a good idea and all. But as sub-stance1 said, 10-15$ is to much for games that I mostly already own and can play on my BC ps3. Trophies and slightly upscale'd graphics are not worth the price.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]you're in the stark minority if 1) you still own the PS2 games you want. 2) you have a BC PS3.

even then, i still see some value in owning a PS4 version because of the upgrades, trophies (for some) and maybe they'll add online capability, not sure yet.

[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6494759]The cynic in me would suggest Sony really just want to know which games you will fork money over for again.[/QUOTE]
i think they know people will fork over money. they don't lose anything by putting these games on the store. this is a genius idea. way better than PS Now.

i also think this is very comparable to the BC on X1 because it offers some advantages that X1 wouldn't have. 1) mainly being that this will likely have a lot more support. 2) these games are getting a proper update through emulation (though X1 probably does too, but i'm not sure here). 3) these games will be perfect for flash deals, meaning my fav games might end up being for a couple of bucks to five bucks, that's a fair deal.

Last edited:

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
lol yeah that's even more rare then. also your 60GB PS3 won't last forever ;) and my PS2 games looked shitty on my BC PS3.

meaning, worse than the PS2...was probably because of the chip in the PS3...but everything would look pretty ugly. i think it was an official issue and they tried patching it but still didn't fix it properly. i think the component cables worked better with an older TV. there were a lot of artifacts on the PS2 games.

also i'm interested in online games as well, so if they support online games then that means new life is given to them. even if they won't be that popular.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2015
Yea, the common issues with the 60 gb ps3 is easy to fix. And the 60 gb one has the actual ps2 chip in it I believe.

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
I don't like the chip way, emulation is the better way to go, it's easier on the power consumption, it means you can easily have higher res games with higher frame rate (because it's running off the PS4 power). also it's cheaper on the manufacturer to keep the costs low.

now i do see a value in there if you have a huge library and don't care about the updates and don't care about online (that is if it gets supported) and you own all the games you wanted anyway...go for it but like i said, it's a stark minority that will have all the necessary setup.

If sony was doing this with the PS3 games, firstly can't do PS3 emulation because it'd be a disaster but if they were...only then i see going with the PS3 console instead as a better deal.

Nov 12, 2015
I started collecting ps2 games about a year ago and much prefer physical than digital anyway. I never get games digitally on my ps4/3 only physical.

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
oh ok. i've always been a physical disc fan and still support second-hand sales...but DD games are helpful when you have a child around. also i noticed i play a lot more random games on a whim when i have DD...and this way i don't screw up my discs...i'm actually very careful but with a 5 year old around, it's impossible. also he can't play a game if the wrong one is in the console. just a lot of hassle. i have bought games that are upwards of $30 but not many. most of my DD games are around $5-$10.