Sony Japan Talks About PS3, Helps Clarify A Few Things

fooster

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2005
www.epc-clan.net
For the question on hard drives:
IT Media asked Kawanishi to give details on how Sony will be explaining to potential PS3 purchasers the difference between the two models. When playing games, explained Kawanishi, there will be no problem if you consider both models to be the same. The level of importance of the lack of HDMI on the 20 gig model depends on if your television has an HDMI port. Also, the difference in hard disk size can be fixed by swapping the 20 gig drive for a larger one.
For the people who are buying the 20gb version, you'll be able to upgrade in the future.

Hdmi x2 for the future
The original PS3 model shown at last year's E3 had two HDMI ports. On Monday, Sony unveiled the final system's design, and the 60 gigabyte high-end model, the only model to include HDMI, had just one port. IT Media asked the big question -- what in the world happened? Kawanishi admitted that the port count has dropped down to one, but added that Sony is looking into the possibility of including two in the future.
So for the people who will wait, might get the better end of the deal.

For those of you who questioned the "ps" logo on the controller just beneath the start and select button
The controller also adds a new button located beneath the start and select buttons. According to Kawanishi, this button will connect the controller to the system, allowing you to call on system functions similar. You can also use the button to turn the system's power on and off and make the PS3 recognize the controller. The Xbox 360 controller and PSP have similar buttons.
So it'll serve some good purpose after all rather than just being the logo there.

Power Supply
Finally, one bit of controversy cleared up. IT Media closed up the interview by asking Kawanishi if the PS3 has its power source built into the system, like the old PS2 model, or if its separate from the system, like the slim PS2 and the Xbox 360. "It's of course internal," responded Kawanishi. "It's better that way. We of course do things the good way."
So we shouldnt have the same problem as xbox did with their ac adapter.

Here is the full article:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/708/708601p1.html

Apr 14, 2006
I had this crazy idea, that they might put a HDMI port on a new HDD for the system.This way the ones with the cheap PS3 get HDMI, and the ones with the expensive get double HDMI.

I have no idea...i never planned to use two HDTVs...i dont even have 1.

fooster

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2005
www.epc-clan.net
chopchopyep said:
I had this crazy idea, that they might put a HDMI port on a new HDD for the system.This way the ones with the cheap PS3 get HDMI, and the ones with the expensive get double HDMI.

I have no idea...i never planned to use two HDTVs...i dont even have 1.
Lol, only if technology worked that way.

It wouldn't work due to the fact that hard drives don't even have enough bus bandwidth to handle their own data let alone a hdtv feed.

Apr 14, 2006
No i dont mean on the HDD itself.

I think the PS3 HDD wll probably be attached to a piece of the consoles back...like the PS2 HDD.You know what i mean?They might place a second HDMI port there.

Just guessing, no idea. :lol:

The controller also adds a new button located beneath the start and select buttons. According to Kawanishi, this button will connect the controller to the system, allowing you to call on system functions similar. You can also use the button to turn the system's power on and off and make the PS3 recognize the controller. The Xbox 360 controller and PSP have similar buttons.
YES! THIS IS THE single best news I've heard ever since E3!!!

ESolis

Apprentice
Aug 24, 2005
what button does the 360 and the PSP have in common? PSP has home. 360 has a guide button. They dont do the same thing I should know I have both.

fooster

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2005
www.epc-clan.net
chopchopyep said:
No i dont mean on the HDD itself.

I think the PS3 HDD wll probably be attached to a piece of the consoles back...like the PS2 HDD.You know what i mean?They might place a second HDMI port there.

Just guessing, no idea. :lol:
The harddrive will probably be internal like most computers assuming that you'll be able to buy them urself.

Nosferatu

Superior Member
Mar 22, 2006
i think they should add dual hdmi's to the 60gb model later in the future of ps3 , and the 20gb model add a single hdmi port i kinda agree with what chopchopyep said.

I think they should use that strategy if the xbox360 gets the -hd-dvd internal player added to their higher capacity hard drive model that they could possibly be released.

The_Only

Forum Sage
Feb 9, 2004
www.rebelreading.tk
Every man and his dog loves Kevin Butler, so naturally we’re always interested in what he has to say on all things Sony – specifically in this case, the company’s forthcoming E3 press conference. So, what does the marketing mogul have to say on the matter? In short, don’t wear flip-flops if you’re attending.

Writing on his Twitter, Butler commented, “Wrning: don't wear flip flops to E3. SCEA will be dropping so much knowledge there, it may crush your toes." Just when we thought we couldn’t possibly be anymore excited about the event, old Kev goes and ups the ante.

For those of you who are scratching your heads wondering who on earth we’re talking about, Butler (played by actor Jerry Lambert) has become the latest face of Sony’s PlayStation commercials in North America, and has attained something of a cult following among gamers in the region.

So folks, with the conference only mere hours away, what games and/or hardware would you like to see at the event? Post all your wishes in the comments section below.