Sony NGP to be more 'affordable' and less 'investment heavy'

ex nihilo7

Master Poster
Nov 13, 2006
This news aligns itself with the rumors of the NGP being competitive in price with the 3DS.

After years of losses in its PS3 division, it's no surprise that Sony's not attempting a fiscal encore. Just the opposite, in fact. Massaru Kato, Sony's Chief Financial Officer, stated recently that the upcoming NGP handheld won't be as "investment heavy" as previous platforms. What does this mean? Sony probably won't pour cash into developing new semiconductors just for its new handheld, and will instead opt to build NGP hardware with off-the-shelf and readily available components. This could translate to competitive pricing versus Nintendo's 3DS (we hope), but it's all quiet on the pricing front at Sony HQ. That's liable to change at E3 next week, but regardless we'd rather not have to wait four years just to hear Yoshida's good news again.
Slashgear
WSJ
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/30/ngp-to-be-less-investment-heavy-more-affordable/

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
Seems to be a good idea. There's a law of diminishing returns between power and usability with handheld devices. After all, you will always have to contend with the battery life of the unit. Seems like Sony wanted to balance out the NGP and put something actually marketable on the shelf this time around. Although, to be fair, the PSP did outsell the XBox and Gamecube combined and continues to put up good sales.

NGP should be a solid machine. Sony's learned a lot of hard lessons with the PS3 and the PSP was hella good for a freshman effort handheld. I think NGP will mark a turn-around for Sony.

Agriel

Forum Sage
Mar 7, 2007
[QUOTE="Lefein, post: 5561772]Seems to be a good idea. There's a law of diminishing returns between power and usability with handheld devices. After all, you will always have to contend with the battery life of the unit. Seems like Sony wanted to balance out the NGP and put something actually marketable on the shelf this time around. Although, to be fair, the PSP did outsell the XBox and Gamecube combined and continues to put up good sales.

NGP should be a solid machine. Sony's learned a lot of hard lessons with the PS3 and the PSP was hella good for a freshman effort handheld. I think NGP will mark a turn-around for Sony.[/QUOTE]
I think it will come down to marketing with the NGP, everything is there for stellar sales, it just needs a good marketing cam campaign

Jo-san

Dedicated Member
Nov 29, 2008
London/Tokyo
Wouldn't suprise me - with the advent of Apple's i-range of devices and Google's Android mobile platform; the dynamics of the mobile gaming environment have changed radically in recent years.

If the platform is to have any relevancy it needs three things:
- To be competitively priced to at least the 3DS; especially when that competing handheld will have had a significant window to further reduce component costs,
- Profitable close to or at launch; the business model for loss-making hardware is out of the window and the investment community won't be satisfied with another potential cash haemorage situation similar to the PS3,
- Good advertising; Sony needs to employ the same people that did the adverts for Nintendo and Apple, the previous advertising schemes have been poor (subsequently reflected by the financial position)

If Nintendo is struggling with the 3DS, then you get an indication of the pressure on Sony to have a winner with the NGP.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
[QUOTE="Jo-san, post: 5562314]

If Nintendo is struggling with the 3DS, then you get an indication of the pressure on Sony to have a winner with the NGP.[/QUOTE]

Is the 3DS struggling? I haven't really been following.I know that the PSP is dominating in Japan but other than that I am not educated on 3DSs performance in the market.

Tibiquera

Superior Member
Oct 14, 2006
To add to what Jo-san said, a good line-up of games at or close to launch is needed too. And not only ps3 ports, but games that are unique enough for that console.

Bio

Veteran
Aug 4, 2007
Battlefield
I hope they prove my sig wrong.

I really do.

Otherwise, I expect this to be spun into a "but it's affordable for what's under the hood" situation like we had with the PS3 at launch. And look how well that price point turned out.

ex nihilo7

Master Poster
Nov 13, 2006
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5562682]3ds is struggling right now due to a poor lineup of games.[/QUOTE]
Right and its a only a matter of time before they get some more games. Zelda comes out this month and the eshop in a week.

tbx59

Apprentice
Jun 4, 2010
[QUOTE="ex nihilo7, post: 5563158]Right and its a only a matter of time before they get some more games. Zelda comes out this month and the eshop in a week.[/QUOTE]

yea, a decade old game

F34R

Legend
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="tbx59, post: 5563399]yea, a decade old game[/QUOTE]
re-releases have been doing very well, and E3 will probably see a new zelda game, and much more for the 3ds (hopefully).

Avrum

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2006
[QUOTE="Agriel, post: 5563713]All 3DS needs is a pokemon game and it will be fine lol[/QUOTE]

Not even just that. If Mario or Mario Kart make it this year it will be set as far as guaranteed sellers are concerned. I'm fairly certain Ocarina of Time will be a significant one for it as well among other titles.

Ryunosuke

Elite Member
Jul 3, 2005
Oklahoma
[QUOTE="Bio, post: 5563108]I hope they prove my sig wrong.

I really do.

Otherwise, I expect this to be spun into a "but it's affordable for what's under the hood" situation like we had with the PS3 at launch. And look how well that price point turned out.[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with $300? That would be a great price, within the range of what most are expecting and within a competitive price of the 3DS.

From what Shuhei Yoshida said in this interview posted by Kotaku today, I don't think the price is going to be any higher than $300.

While Sony Computer Entertainment's head of worldwide studios Shuhei Yoshida declined to tell Kotaku the official price for the NGP, something we suspect may be unveiled at E3 next week, he did talk about the reasoning behind how they set that price, how their new gaming device learned from some of the missteps of the Playstation Portable and what the executive makes of rival Nintendo's lackluster 3DS sales.
Back when Sony initially starting development on their Next Generation Portable they set an internal target price they wanted to hit for the launch of the system, Yoshida said in an interview last month.

"I feel very comfortably that we are going to be hitting it," he said. "We definitely consider this is the price that it has to be for people to even consider purchasing it."

The target price was set knowing that "at the end of the day gaming portable devices may not be something people feel like they need," he added.

Sony also looked at many other things, like the cost of the goods needed to create the device and the pricing of other similar devices. They also considered what they may be bundling with the final hardware, Yoshida said, raising the possibility that the device may come with pre-loaded games or other software or accessories.
http://kotaku.com/5805979/why-youll-pay-for-the-ngp-according-to-sony

Bio

Veteran
Aug 4, 2007
Battlefield
[QUOTE="Ryunosuke, post: 5565653]What's wrong with $300? That would be a great price, within the range of what most are expecting and within a competitive price of the 3DS.

From what Shuhei Yoshida said in this interview posted by Kotaku today, I don't think the price is going to be any higher than $300.

[/QUOTE]

$300 is competitive? I'd pay $250 for a handheld, personally...which I thought was around average consumer range as well.

If that's competitive, though, then more power to Sony. :]

Ryunosuke

Elite Member
Jul 3, 2005
Oklahoma
[QUOTE="Bio, post: 5565727]$300 is competitive? I'd pay $250 for a handheld, personally...which I thought was around average consumer range as well.

If that's competitive, though, then more power to Sony. :][/QUOTE]

Yes, being within $50 of your competitor at the $200+ price range is an competitive price. Not only is it a competitive price, but it is also a better value when compared to what the 3DS is offering.

This is the price range most have been realistically hoping for. Very few actually have ever believed that it would be offered at the same price as the 3DS ($250).

squirrelbo1

young rich and tasteless
Jul 27, 2008
London
will be around $300 so will end up being like £295 over here :snicker despite the strength of the £ verses the $ the aussies will probably be like $450

F34R

Legend
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="Chille, post: 5566615]Wifi only might be close to 250[/QUOTE]
That'd be nice. Huge props to Sony if they can deliver at that price point.

Agriel

Forum Sage
Mar 7, 2007
From all the articles I read, Sony decided a long time ago what the price would be, like even before they knew what was going to be in it.

Mar 24, 2007
Your House.
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5566701]That'd be nice. Huge props to Sony if they can deliver at that price point.[/QUOTE]

Reason why i think that price is because its all off the shelf bits