Sony PlayStation Vita clears the FCC hurdle, gets tantailizingly close to US release

ONQ

Master Guru
Jun 30, 2006
http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/03/sony-playstation-vita-clears-the-fcc-hurdle-gets-tantailizingly/

That label up there may not look like much, but the WiFi test report shown after the break makes one thing exceptionally clear: Sony's PlayStation Vita just cleared FCC testing. For those unfamiliar with the process, this is widely regarded as the final step before a consumer electronics device is shipped to retailers here in the States, and given that "fall" date we've been hearing about, it sure looks as if Sony's on pace to keep its promise. So, you did save room on this year's wish list for yet another console... right?

Ryunosuke

Elite Member
Jul 3, 2005
Oklahoma
Could be as close as 2 to 3 months from release. It wouldn't be the first time Sony has announced a release date only around a month before the system is released.

The PS3 cleared the FCC filing in September of 2006 and was released in November in Japan and the US. It seems the FCC approval is usually within a few months of the release.

http://www.psu.com/forums/threads/27824-Cell-3.2GHz-confirmed-PS3-passes-FCC-approval

I can't find the FCC filing for the original PSP, but the PSP-2001 model FCC filing was approved in July of 2007, only 2 months before its release). I think the 3000 model received approval in August of 2008(was submitted for approval in July) and was released in October(2 months again).

I am not certain, but I think the original PSP received FCC approval in either December of 2004 or January of 2005. The FCC put the manual up on their site in late January of 2005 and I believe FCC approval is usually given around the same time(usually the month?).

Last edited:

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
[QUOTE="Dave-The-Rave, post: 5624536]WiFi...3G is pointless.[/QUOTE]
Definitely wifi. Can always make a hotspot for it with a smartphone.

Jo-san

Dedicated Member
Nov 29, 2008
London/Tokyo
Looks like Sony only went and goofed up; they needed to launch this worldwide by the end of this year to retain any relevancy in the ever-evolving market, but it's just been announced by Hirai, that the PSV won't be launching anywhere outside of Japan in 2011. Absolute madness.

Ryunosuke

Elite Member
Jul 3, 2005
Oklahoma
[QUOTE="Jo-san, post: 5624841]Looks like Sony only went and goofed up; they needed to launch this worldwide by the end of this year to retain any relevancy in the ever-evolving market, but it's just been announced by Hirai, that the PSV won't be launching anywhere outside of Japan in 2011. Absolute madness.[/QUOTE]

It would have been nice if it launched this year outside of Japan, but by no means does that mean that it has lost any relevancy in the market. You are discrediting the Japanese market too much and putting too much importance on early performance.

It is not likely that enough units could be produced to support 2 or more regions during the holiday season. This would pretty much negate the advantage the holiday season gives. They can likely sales a lot more with plentiful supply in early 2012 than they could during the holiday season with extremely limited supply.

On top of this, if the games were not ready it could have done more harm than good to release it this holiday season with strict supplies.

Does this give the 3DS a nice head start in sales? Yes. Does it matter? No. In the end the PSV will still likely do just as well as it would have if it released this year outside of Japan. It may not outsell the 3DS, but as long as it still sales well that doesn't matter and doesn't mean that it is irrelevant or a failure.

Is/Was the PS3 irrelevant because the head start the Xbox 360 had? or the lead on sales on Nintendo Wii has?

The new iPhone doesn't even matter. The market has shown that it can easily support both dedicated handheld devices and devices like the iPhone. If anything it is the market for devices like the iPhone that will end up suffering with so many new devices and services constantly coming out.

tbx59

Apprentice
Jun 4, 2010
and they give the 3ds a 2nd chance; the usual sony customers will buy this in the spring or summer, but 250 bucks 15 months from now at christmas '12, not sure that's going to work out well.

F34R

Legend
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="tbx59, post: 5624897]and they give the 3ds a 2nd chance; the usual sony customers will buy this in the spring or summer, but 250 bucks 15 months from now at christmas '12, not sure that's going to work out well.[/QUOTE]
What a great point... +rep

Jo-san

Dedicated Member
Nov 29, 2008
London/Tokyo
[QUOTE="Ryunosuke, post: 5624871]It would have been nice if it launched this year outside of Japan, but by no means does that mean that it has lost any relevancy in the market. You are discrediting the Japanese market too much and putting too much importance on early performance.

It is not likely that enough units could be produced to support 2 or more regions during the holiday season. This would pretty much negate the advantage the holiday season gives. They can likely sales a lot more with plentiful supply in early 2012 than they could during the holiday season with extremely limited supply.

On top of this, if the games were not ready it could have done more harm than good to release it this holiday season with strict supplies.

Does this give the 3DS a nice head start in sales? Yes. Does it matter? No. In the end the PSV will still likely do just as well as it would have if it released this year outside of Japan. It may not outsell the 3DS, but as long as it still sales well that doesn't matter and doesn't mean that it is irrelevant or a failure.

Is/Was the PS3 irrelevant because the head start the Xbox 360 had? or the lead on sales on Nintendo Wii has?

The new iPhone doesn't even matter. The market has shown that it can easily support both dedicated handheld devices and devices like the iPhone. If anything it is the market for devices like the iPhone that will end up suffering with so many new devices and services constantly coming out.[/QUOTE]The problem for the PSP wasn't the Japanese market, where it is selling respectable figures, the problem is that the PSP wasn't doing stellar in the North American and European markets, thus limiting returns.

The present situation illustrates an inability to launch simultaneously around the world, a situation that is unacceptable in today's heavily globalised retail environment. It reeks of mismanagement of the project development and delivery pipeline, it would also indicate an absence of disaster contingency planning after the tsunami.

Sony ought to have released this summer to deflate demand for the 3DS and ensure that the business would be well placed to sustain sales through the festive season, so missing altogether means significant lost revenue from non-core consumers (ie people who might not have heard of the PSV before walking into a store to do Xmas shopping).

The present situation also increases the 3DS market penetration in an already crowded window, while the added delay incurs costs wiping out potential gains from cheaper components. Once again the market is being dictated by Sony's competitors.

Ryunosuke

Elite Member
Jul 3, 2005
Oklahoma
The PSP actually did very good in the US its first year. It sold nearly as much during the March time frame as the top selling systems have done when launching during the holiday season.

NPD Data (US Sales) - Opening 4 months for each console/handheld since the PS2.
PSP
March 620,000
April 351,000
May 250,000
June 294,000
Total: 1,515,000

GBA
June 870,179
July 360,904
August 331,134
September 324,329
Total: 1,886,546

NDS
November 479,695
December 745,899
January 152,091
February 587,600
Total: 1,965,285

3DS
March 398,000
April 194,000
May 97,000
June 143,000
Total: 832,000

Xbox
November 711,619
December 690,817
January 127,043
February 138,527
Total: 1,668,006

Xbox 360
November 326,000
December 281,000
January 231,000
February 160,000
Total: 998,000

PS2
October 391,245
November 187,554
December 522,239
January 248,052
Total: 1,349,090

PS3
November 197,000
December 490,000
January 244,000
February 228,000
Total: 1,159,000

Gamecube
November 647,466
December 558,200
January 59,712
February 76,815
Total: 1,342,193

Wii
November 476,000
December 604,000
January 436,000
February 335,000
Total: 1,851,000
Out of all these the only 2 systems that have managed to launch simultaneously around the world(3 major regions) is the Wii and Xbox 360. The only one that was successful at it was the Wii, something Nintendo was not able to repeat with the 3DS.

A good launch lineup and continued support is far more important than a simultaneous worldwide release, holiday launch or even to a degree the price($250 is fine). As long as the PSVita has good support at launch and continues to receive good support it will do just fine.

Wasib

Super Elite
Feb 2, 2007
[QUOTE="tbx59, post: 5624897]and they give the 3ds a 2nd chance; the usual sony customers will buy this in the spring or summer, but 250 bucks 15 months from now at christmas '12, not sure that's going to work out well.[/QUOTE]

Price drop to $199?

Thorzilla

Elite Sage
Feb 4, 2006
[QUOTE="Wasib, post: 5626755]Price drop to $199?[/QUOTE]

Dude...just, no. When everyone thought Sony was going to price the Vita at $300-400, everyone went nuts, but then Sony said it would be $250 and everyone drooled at the price and how they were going to own with such a cheap price, yadda, yadda. Fast forward 2 months and people are yelling "t3h d0omZ0rZzz!1!" because of an price drop in 3DS. IMO, Vita and 3DS aren't even in the same market.

F34R

Legend
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
It's not just the price Thor.. it's the 3ds price being dropped, the fact that jpn will be the only holiday sales, and then three more months of 3ds sales to contend with. Sony are really trying to climb a mountain without the rope... so far, it's not the users calling for a price drop; more so analysts saying that they really need to lower the price to contend with the 3ds in the face of the aforementioned obstacles.

I bought the 3ds at $249, and I'm buying the Vita when it launches at $249 (unless it is lowered by chance...).

Vulgotha

Power Member
Jan 6, 2007
The 3DS was grossly overpriced at launch. The Vita, by comparison, is far more bang for your buck at the 250$ price figure.

Nintendo dropped it because of a luke-warm response and they knew competing with the Vita dollar for dollar in features was going to be a losing battle. So they slashed the price (massively) to vastly increase the appeal.

Thorzilla

Elite Sage
Feb 4, 2006
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5626913]It's not just the price Thor.. it's the 3ds price being dropped, the fact that jpn will be the only holiday sales, and then three more months of 3ds sales to contend with. Sony are really trying to climb a mountain without the rope... so far, it's not the users calling for a price drop; more so analysts saying that they really need to lower the price to contend with the 3ds in the face of the aforementioned obstacles.

I bought the 3ds at $249, and I'm buying the Vita when it launches at $249 (unless it is lowered by chance...).[/QUOTE]

I know, seing them miss the holidays is a big bummer, especially for the many sales they could have got. I also paid $250 for the 3DS since I thought the price was fine, and I will do the same with Vita. I hope it's not too hard for Sony to lower production costs so they can go down to a more competitive cost, if that's what will help them sell more. In the end, more sales end up benefiting us.

Vulgotha

Power Member
Jan 6, 2007
It will be significantly more difficult for Sony to do this than Nintendo. Not even including other stuff like the screen, touch pad, or w\e.. The basic hardware specs alone (RAM, CPU, GPU) make it... Far more complex and expensive.

tbx59

Apprentice
Jun 4, 2010
In short: opportunity cost (not shipping on time of where they needed to be, competition of the bigger range of devices, the only other game-centric handheld is going to be about a full year ahead and nearly a hundred bucks less) affects the overall cost of the product.

I also don't understand launching first in Japan thereby losing the west's biggest product buying period.

Ryunosuke

Elite Member
Jul 3, 2005
Oklahoma
[QUOTE="tbx59, post: 5627697]competition of the bigger range of devices[/quote]

Would have been there regardless and couldn't have more of an impact on sales if the PSVita was launched during the holiday season in the US.

Some of these other "competitors" are also using some of the same parts as the PSVita. This could have a really big negative effect on stock if launched during the holiday season.

[QUOTE="tbx59, post: 5627697]the only other game-centric handheld is going to be about a full year ahead and nearly a hundred bucks less[/quote]

Which has had a very rough start and will only have around half a year or less of sales that you would expect of a new system. That half a year would have done well regardless of when the PSVita launched due to the price drop and the strong IP games coming.

Anyways, it doesn't really matter if the 3DS has a lead or how big of a lead it has. That doesn't mean that it will have a negative affect on the PSVita and it doesn't mean that the PSVita will not sale just as good. Which is all that matters.

There is even a higher chance that those that have been on the fence of getting either the 3DS or the PSVita will end up getting both now.

[QUOTE="tbx59, post: 5627697]affects the overall cost of the product.[/quote]

No it doesn't.

[QUOTE="tbx59, post: 5627697]I also don't understand launching first in Japan thereby losing the west's biggest product buying period.[/quote]

It has been pointed out multiple times that unless you have plentiful stock launching in November/December is no bigger than launching around March. Stock is just far too limited for system to launch during the holiday season in multiple regions and take advantage of the sales the holiday season gives.

There has only been 1 system that has successfully had a worldwide launch during the holiday season. That is the Wii and a large part of that is thanks to the Wii not pushing any new tech.

With the likely upcoming PS3 price drop, the 3DS price drop, the many many games coming out and more that is planned for this year, waiting to release the PSVita until 2012 outside of Japan will very likely end up being a wise decision made by Sony.

If you check many of the PSVita threads here and around the web you will see many people wanted a PSVita, but stated they were not getting one until later on; mainly due to how crowded later half of this year is.

Graham

like.no.other
Dec 3, 2005
[QUOTE="Ryunosuke, post: 5627726]If you check many of the PSVita threads here and around the web you will see many people wanted a PSVita, but stated they were not getting one until later on; mainly due to how crowded later half of this year is.[/QUOTE]
I'll be getting a PSVita at some point, but not until I can get it new for £150 or less. I'm far more interested in the next iPhone to be honest, as that kind of device represents 99% of my portable media and networking activity outside my home. iPhone does everything I need right now in a portable device, so an additional portable gaming unit will have to be very special, and very cheap. It's less to do with crowding, and more to do with "do I really need or want it?" A few years ago I'd have been all over this like a rash, but now I just don't bother with games enough to warrant being a "day 1" adopter anymore.

Wasib

Super Elite
Feb 2, 2007
[QUOTE="Graham, post: 5631573]I'll be getting a PSVita at some point, but not until I can get it new for £150 or less. I'm far more interested in the next iPhone to be honest, as that kind of device represents 99% of my portable media and networking activity outside my home. iPhone does everything I need right now in a portable device, so an additional portable gaming unit will have to be very special, and very cheap. It's less to do with crowding, and more to do with "do I really need or want it?" A few years ago I'd have been all over this like a rash, but now I just don't bother with games enough to warrant being a "day 1" adopter anymore.[/QUOTE]

I am thinking the other way around. Was looking to purchase a tablet but if this Vita delivers on the multi-media front I will take this instead. The 16:9 ratio OLED screen will be great for Video/TV content. I hope they manage to implement BBCiPlayer, iTVPlayer and 4 On Demand. Also I would not mind a subscription based service which allows me access to PSN Video downloads.

Sony also have that Music Station Music Unlimited. So slowly the services are building. Hopefully the user-interface is easy to navigate and intuitive. I think people should not under-estimate the potential of the Vita as a multi-media companion.

Having said that I am not expecting it to match the iPad's multi-media experiences but if it can do the main functions well (i.e. Video/Music) it will be worth the sacrifice as you get a proper full-on gaming machine for about half the price of an iPad.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
Tablet and Vita are two different "markets" for me. I wouldn't chose one over the other for like features. They serve two different purposes in my book.

Rtc

Jun 14, 2011
Ga
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5632856]Tablet and Vita are two different "markets" for me. I wouldn't chose one over the other for like features. They serve two different purposes in my book.[/QUOTE]

Ditto

Wasib

Super Elite
Feb 2, 2007
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5632856]Tablet and Vita are two different "markets" for me. I wouldn't chose one over the other for like features. They serve two different purposes in my book.[/QUOTE]

Well it depends on the person - what he/she wants out of the device. If I was to get a tablet it would be for viewing TV content (catch-up services), browsing the internet and listening to music. The entertainment side of things. Vita could potentially deliver on these fronts.

So if it does there is no point buying a 400 GBP tablet when the Vita could do this 75% as well as a tablet for half the price when you get a fully-fledged gaming system out of it also.

So it depends on the user - what he/she wants out of the device. So for instance if I was a big reader and social networking type of guy I would perhaps then start transitioning towards a tablet.

Also as a general point in this day and age with these 'all-rounded' portable machines the lines between different markets is increasingly blurred.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="Wasib, post: 5633203]Well it depends on the person - what he/she wants out of the device. If I was to get a tablet it would be for viewing TV content (catch-up services), browsing the internet and listening to music. The entertainment side of things. Vita could potentially deliver on these fronts.

So if it does there is no point buying a 400 GBP tablet when the Vita could do this 75% as well as a tablet for half the price when you get a fully-fledged gaming system out of it also.

So it depends on the user - what he/she wants out of the device. So for instance if I was a big reader and social networking type of guy I would perhaps then start transitioning towards a tablet.

Also as a general point in this day and age with these 'all-rounded' portable machines the lines between different markets is increasingly blurred.[/QUOTE]
Um, that's what I said... read, "me, my, I, etc.".

Wasib

Super Elite
Feb 2, 2007
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5633535]Um, that's what I said... read, "me, my, I, etc.".[/QUOTE]

Fair enough (I did realize it was your opinion by the way) - I just wanted to put my views/arguments across for why I am considering the PlayStation Vita over a tablet so that I did not come across as just favouring a Sony product for the sake of it. And if the PlayStation Vita does not execute well on the multi-media front (i.e. it turns out as a complete mess) of course I would look back at the tablet market.

Last edited: