Sony says PS VR pre-orders are ahead of expectations!

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
The head of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) has revealed that pre-orders for PlayStation VR are tracking ahead of the company's internal expectations.

Speaking with MCV, Jim Ryan said that initial pre-order figures indicate a strong performance for the upcoming virtual reality headset when it hits stores in October 2016.

"The news overnight on pre-orders is extremely encouraging, but I'd be very wary about extrapolating how we'll do through to launch based on less than 24 hours," said Ryan. "I would say that the early pre-orders has surpassed our initial expectations. So that suggests demand, and therefore day one, might be quite significant."

Ryan's comments come in light of PS VR pre-orders selling out at Amazon in under an hour. The device was confirmed at GDC last week to retail for £349/$399, although it will require the use of the PlayStation Camera to function.

Sony has said that the headset will be supported by around 50 titles by the end of the year, with over 230 developers currently working on the device. The likes of Ace Combat 7, Dreams, Gran Turismo Sport and Tekken 7 are among the titles confirmed to utilise PS VR.
Source

They don't mention actual numbers but I would think Sony expect to sell a lot of PS VR units.

May 23, 2005
Haven't been fallowing much of the VR hype train, a quick question for those who have. Can you use the VR headset with any game while using your PS controller or do you need the camera and the move sticks?

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
[QUOTE="TwentyThree, post: 6507403]Haven't been fallowing much of the VR hype train, a quick question for those who have. Can you use the VR headset with any game while using your PS controller or do you need the camera and the move sticks?[/QUOTE]

You need the camera, you don't need the move sticks, and you can play every game + things like Netflix in Cinema mode but it wont' be full VR obviously.

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama

As long as Dreams has an awesome community, I'll at least get my money's worth out of PSVR, but it scares me to death that people may be scared off / prematurely bored by VR again and we'll have to wait another 10-20 years before we get a real chance at VR again.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Omar, post: 6507422]anyone surprised? This will be popular like the kinect was.[/QUOTE]
Do you think PS VR will be made available for PS4 and PS5 like how the Kinect is available for Xbox 360 and Xbox One? I predict virtual reality, specifically Sony's interpretation of it, will catch on a lot quicker with consumers than motion controls have tried to do recently.

Last edited:

bobtheduck

Elite Guru
Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
[QUOTE="Omar, post: 6508597]yeah i have no doubt this will continue on PS5 as long as it's popular and does well.[/QUOTE]

And THAT's what I'm afraid of. VR is not going to be a takeoff hit. If it's going to be a hit, it HAS to be a slow build. We're talking 5 or more years before it reaches the mainstream. Sony doesn't always have the most patience, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same was true of Facebook and Valve, too.

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
It's a bit different for Valve/FB. If they after a period said "fuck it, we'll just make headsets but no more support" there is still the open nature of the PC meaning the community can keep things going.

If Sony did the same PS4 owners are left with a fancy paperweight

TapaTalking from my Mind.

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="Omar, post: 6507422]anyone surprised? This will be popular like the kinect was.[/QUOTE]
And we all see how kinect ended up.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
How does the new method of gaming Sony will make available to PlayStation consumers that still allows for the use of a controller any worse than Microsoft's hands-free gaming peripheral? It would be one thing if you're not interested at all in virtual reality gaming but why do you think it won't be successful?

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6508795]How does the new method of gaming Sony will make available to PlayStation consumers that still allows for the use of a controller any worse than Microsoft's hands-free gaming peripheral? It would be one thing if you're not interested at all in virtual reality gaming but why do you think it won't be successful?[/QUOTE]

Are you talking to Omar, Mistercrow, or me? I'm probably the least likely candidate, but I think that PSVR will have a lukewarm reception, and we won't see VR take off until the PS5 era. I just hope Sony doesn't give up on it because it doesn't do too well at the start.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="bobtheduck, post: 6509215]Are you talking to Omar, Mistercrow, or me? I'm probably the least likely candidate, but I think that PSVR will have a lukewarm reception, and we won't see VR take off until the PS5 era. I just hope Sony doesn't give up on it because it doesn't do too well at the start.[/QUOTE]
mistercrow.

I still don't see how PlayStation VR is going to end up like the Kinect. Are there any negative reviews, bad marketing ideas or a number of uninteresting and/or lack of games and features holding back Sony's VR headset from being successful?

Seriously, I haven't been following this device as closely as the rest of you guys have so, feel free to correct me, if I'm being too optimistic with PS VR.

Last edited:

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
To understand the potential of VR and PSVR, believe you either have to be: a) above average foresighted; or b) do most of your gaming on a home theater sized screen; or c) having tried it for yourself; and d) not be overly cynical due to regretful past ventures into, later, disproven innovations.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
People often compare it to motion controls - but VR is the missing puzzle piece that is going to make motion control, actually - satisfyingly - function.

Instead of waggling your hands at a screen and trying to get the character on screen to mimic your intentions;

or staring at your avatar or through your avatars eyes - through the window that is your screen.. trying to accurately manipulate the games environment - it's not fun because it's not intuitive.

In Vr it will be - with some contenders more than others. I understand Vive really has intuitiveness nailed down.

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6509263]Are there any negative reviews, bad marketing ideas or a number of uninteresting and/or lack of games and features holding back Sony's VR headset from being successful?[/QUOTE]

VR is, for all intents and purposes, new tech. Yeah, we technically had VR back in the '90s (I'm talking about special arcades and 10,000 dollar machines, not Virtual Boy... Virtual Boy does not even really count) but the tech has finally started to catch up to the concept. That means that, unlike game consoles which have reached market saturation and people are always willing to upgrade to the next iteration, VR is at the start of the adoption curve and it is just the early adopters getting into it now. It'll take a long time for mass adoption. We're talking well into the lifetime of the PS5 at the earliest. If people don't realize that, the tech could be aborted... again.

If Sony / Facebook / Valve are PATIENT they'll have a huge thing on their hands in 5-10 years. So, can these game companies be patient? Sony sure wasn't patient with Vita. They made a mistake in the Vita's launch (tried to rest everything on those expensive memory cards) and got disappointed by low sales then just cut direct support. We ended up getting a lot of good stuff for it, and it was a good machine, but it fell way short of what it could have been because Sony mostly gave up on it pretty quickly. I just don't want to see that happen with VR.

Last edited: