Sony Should Make Trophies For [email protected]

Beodude123

Electronic Warrior
Feb 9, 2007
What do you guys think? I think they should reward those that are Folding. Maybe give a Platinum for 1000 units Folded...

vipergts2207

Superior Member
Oct 19, 2005
[QUOTE="Beodude123, post: 0]What do you guys think? I think they should reward those that are Folding. Maybe give a Platinum for 1000 units Folded...[/quote]

Trophies for [email protected] is a great idea, but what?!?! 1000 units!? Do you know how long it takes to fold one? If they're going to do trophies at least make getting the platinum take the same amount of time that getting a platinum in a game takes. F3 took me maybe 100 hours tops to get the platinum so about 10 units should be a platinum. No one would ever be able to play any video games anymore if they tried for 1000 units. It would take around a year of nothing but folding to achieve that and I don't think anyone wants to do that. That would also be counteractive to the goal. You add trophies to get people to fold right? But if the goal is essentially unattainable almost nobody will go for it. Good idea though.

vipergts2207

Superior Member
Oct 19, 2005
[QUOTE="bubano, post: 0]Huh? Wasn't Folding Home removed after Home was released? Not seen it for ages now.[/quote]

Wow, apparently Sony should be more informative on this. If you go to Life with Playstation, [email protected] is going on in the backround. You can also change back to the classic [email protected] screen.

S

silentmemory

This is not a new idea but it is still a terrible one.

Where's the skill in leaving your console on unattended for long periods of time? If Trophies aren't supposed to be a comparative indicator of your gaming prowess then Sony should start giving Trophies for how many days of the week you game, or how many of their adverts you watch, or how many Sony movies you download over PSN. Platinum Trophy if you watch a different Blu-ray movie every day for a year.

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
As far as I now the Sony [email protected] team has that in mind and they will try to implement it.

Noam said:
It is something we plan down the road.
Noam said:
Ok. We are strongly considering this option now. It may take a few months before you actually see it, but if people have interesting ideas of what kinds of participation should be awarded, please let us hear it in this thread.
Before you do, you might want to learn more about PS3 trophy system, you can read about the latest system update here
or even check this video on the PlayStation blog.
As always, nothing's promised but our good will...
Here is the suggestion thread concerning Trophies over at [email protected]:
http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3703&start=15

vipergts2207

Superior Member
Oct 19, 2005
[QUOTE="silentmemory, post: 0]This is not a new idea but it is still a terrible one.

Where's the skill in leaving your console on unattended for long periods of time? If Trophies aren't supposed to be a comparative indicator of your gaming prowess then Sony should start giving Trophies for how many days of the week you game, or how many of their adverts you watch, or how many Sony movies you download over PSN. Platinum Trophy if you watch a different Blu-ray movie every day for a year.[/quote]

The difference here between all of those is that your helping humanity with this. You must be one self-centered little punk.

Aug 29, 2007
I dont feel like 1000 is alot honestly. First off, its a platinum trophy so its gotta be a lil high of a # and......I am at 917 and counting so that works for me hahahaha

Treefrog

Super Elite
May 15, 2006
Driffield, UK
To do 1000 in 365 days, you'd have to do 2.7 WUs a day. Saying that a WU takes around 7hrs to complete, completing 3 WUs a day is possible with 3 hrs spare for gaming.

I currently do 2.1 WUs a day (in this folding year), and so far after almost 2 years of folding on my PS3 I've reached 1250 WUs. My PS3 is on for around 15 hrs per day, mostly folding, sometimes gaming.

To think some people are worried about it failing.

Anyway, trophies would be good, all though the points you get from each WU are supposed to make you keep folding. Does for me.

vipergts2207

Superior Member
Oct 19, 2005
[QUOTE="Treefrog, post: 0]To do 1000 in 365 days, you'd have to do 2.7 WUs a day. Saying that a WU takes around 7hrs to complete, completing 3 WUs a day is possible with 3 hrs spare for gaming.

I currently do 2.1 WUs a day (in this folding year), and so far after almost 2 years of folding on my PS3 I've reached 1250 WUs. My PS3 is on for around 15 hrs per day, mostly folding, sometimes gaming.

To think some people are worried about it failing.

Anyway, trophies would be good, all though the points you get from each WU are supposed to make you keep folding. Does for me.[/quote]

To get a platinum trophy in a game doesn't take a year, it takes around 100 hours. Why do you want to change requirements in order to get a platinum trophy to be 8760 hours or 88 times longer than it takes to get a platinum trophy in a game? And 3 hours spare for gaming? I think you're missing the point for which the PS3 was created? I guarantee you 99.9% of the people on these forums use their PS3 for gaming and [email protected] for their "spare time," not vice versa. That is, if they even fold at all. Having trophies as hard to obtain as you want isn't going to help [email protected] No one will go for the trophies except for that .1% because people want to spend most of their time gaming on their PS3's not folding. If they make the platinum trophy 10-20 WU, I'll start folding right now. Make it 1000 and I'm not even going to attempt it because I'd rather use my PS3 as it was truly intended,

DayWalker

The Heisman
May 9, 2006
naw... [email protected] is not a game...

a trophey for not playing your PS3 very much???

plus it kinda encourages you to leave your PS3 on/active... what are they gonna say when PS3s start to burn out???

Sir_Scud

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2007
I think it's a great idea. Folding at home is for a good cause, so giving people an easy platinum in this case is a good idea.

Jul 17, 2008
quite possibly the dumbest thing iver ever heard. Getting trophies for doing nothing are u kidding me why dont we just give out trophies for downloading updates too or maybe a platinum for every 50 friends on ur friends list. come on people why do you deserve a trophy for folding units. go buy some games and earn some trophies instead of waiting for you system to earn them for u

L

Lunar_Chaos

[QUOTE="twizlo, post: 0]quite possibly the dumbest thing iver ever heard. Getting trophies for doing nothing are u kidding me why dont we just give out trophies for downloading updates too or maybe a platinum for every 50 friends on ur friends list. come on people why do you deserve a trophy for folding units. go buy some games and earn some trophies instead of waiting for you system to earn them for u[/quote]

All I can say is... :lol:

S

silentmemory

[QUOTE="vipergts2207, post: 0]The difference here between all of those is that your helping humanity with this. You must be one self-centered little punk.[/quote]

I was devoting spare clock cycles on my PC to cancer research long before you even knew what a PS3 looked like. What's more, I didn't need a reward to do it, much less a virtual trophy - if you do then I'd suggest you're the 'self-centered little punk' :rolleyes:

As for your opening statement, show me the slightest shred of evidence that all the folding in the world has helped humanity even a tiny bit? I'm pretty sure I could show you evidence that the way we produce energy has causal links with cancer and other medical conditions. That's not to say you shouldn't fold, just that encouraging people to leave their PS3s on unnecessarily is a pretty dumb idea. PS3 should fold in the background when you're in the XMB or watching a movie.

S

silentmemory

[QUOTE="DayWalker, post: 0]... yeah we should probably stop all research that hasn't yielded a tangible result... :rolleyes:

good call silentmemory.[/quote]

Your comprehension kung fu is not strong :( Obviously you're in the camp who think driving across America for asthma sufferers is a good idea, whereas I'd say it's a noble cause if you were about to make the trip anyway. A subtle but important difference, the end doesn't always justify the means.

Anyway, back to the subject of giving out trophies for leaving your PS3 on unattended and operating at full chat for extended periods.

cupra777

Elite Member
Dec 22, 2008
[QUOTE="Beodude123, post: 0]What do you guys think? I think they should reward those that are Folding. Maybe give a Platinum for 1000 units Folded...[/quote]
it think its a bit pointless lol
i would prefer to see trohies for home than [email protected]

Krazy Ivan

Superior Member
Aug 21, 2007

I think that is a great idea... +rep for it.

I doubt that they won't give out platinum but bronze for 10 units or bronze for participating in a foldathon and maybe silver for 100 units... something like that.

Jul 31, 2007
I don't see a problem with giving out trophies for this. I have been folding for about 5 years at this point and although I'm not at the level I used to be (at one time I had 10 Pentium Ds running in my house 24/7 for over a year), I still feel it's a worthwhile cause.
Here is how I think it should break down.
10 units = bronze
100 units = silver
250 units = gold
1000 units = platinum
And to the guy that says why not make it equivalent to 100 hours like games, because you aren't actually doing anything. Do you play a game for 20 hours a day, 7 days a week?

BTW: I'm currently @ 536 Work Units

Dec 25, 2008
I honestly fold more than i play games. Put my ps3 on a 6hr timer and go to sleep. It folds during the day while im at work aswell. Why not put it to good use when im not able to be there to play it. I highly doubt sony would add [email protected] if it was unsafe to leave your system running for an extended period of time.

vipergts2207

Superior Member
Oct 19, 2005
[QUOTE="silentmemory, post: 0]I was devoting spare clock cycles on my PC to cancer research long before you even knew what a PS3 looked like. What's more, I didn't need a reward to do it, much less a virtual trophy - if you do then I'd suggest you're the 'self-centered little punk' :rolleyes:

As for your opening statement, show me the slightest shred of evidence that all the folding in the world has helped humanity even a tiny bit? I'm pretty sure I could show you evidence that the way we produce energy has causal links with cancer and other medical conditions. That's not to say you shouldn't fold, just that encouraging people to leave their PS3s on unnecessarily is a pretty dumb idea. PS3 should fold in the background when you're in the XMB or watching a movie.[/quote]

I've folded before without any trophies so apparently I'm not too self-centered. However adding trophies will get more people to fold. As for evidence that folding has helped humanity, I've never actually looked to find results from [email protected] Even if there aren't any revolutionary results from folding yet, it's called progress. All the PS3 does is figure out what happens to the proteins. Scientists have to take time to study those results to find any significance in them. It doesn't happen over night. And if it's such a waste of time and energy, why do you do it, or are you just arguing to argue?

[QUOTE="GrandPrixGT300, post: 0]I don't see a problem with giving out trophies for this. I have been folding for about 5 years at this point and although I'm not at the level I used to be (at one time I had 10 Pentium Ds running in my house 24/7 for over a year), I still feel it's a worthwhile cause.
Here is how I think it should break down.
10 units = bronze
100 units = silver
250 units = gold
1000 units = platinum
And to the guy that says why not make it equivalent to 100 hours like games, because you aren't actually doing anything. Do you play a game for 20 hours a day, 7 days a week?

BTW: I'm currently @ 536 Work Units[/quote]

Whatever, hope you're expecting less than optimum results though.

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
Haha yea unless something has changed one unit takes on average 8 hours to complete. It would take almost a year of running [email protected] STRAIGHT to reach 1000 work units. Ridiculous amount for a single trophy. I'm not saying that it should be easy but still o_O;

S

silentmemory

[QUOTE="vipergts2207, post: 0]if it's such a waste of time and energy, why do you do it, or are you just arguing to argue?[/quote]

I didn't say it was a waste of either time or energy, I suggested the PS3 fold in the background, using otherwise wasted resources. I also suggested there is no evidence to my knowledge that any good to humanity has yet come from the project, so laying some sort of guilt trip on those who don't agree that leaving your PS3 on 24/7 purely for the purposes of folding is a good idea, is baseless.

I'll argue with you if you like, if you can do it without the childish suppositions and name calling you started out with.

Illumin

Dedicated Member
Nov 14, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I would be all for this. It would be nice if it was retroactive as I have just under 1,700 Units. I used to fold for weeks in a row but now My PS3 turns off after folding for a while for some reason.